1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm not sure how I feel about the Pirates

Discussion in 'Wildmana Modmod' started by Fafnir13, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Fafnir13

Fafnir13 King

Speaking specifically towards the barbarian pirates spawned by the Lanun. On the one hand, I enjoy how they make the sea an active place. Navies have to be maintained, stationed all along the settled coast to protect fishing villages. A constant vigil has to be kept up lest they sneak in and pillage without notice.
    On the other hand, its bloody annoying. Depending on proximity to the Lanun, even the best coastal defense can be mired by the constant deluge of pirates. The pirates, being ocean capable, are also rather difficult to respond to until optics is researched. I've had games where I have had to give up on any coastal advancement. What this does is plant a giant cross-hair on the Lanun civ. Regardless of how they feel about you or you about them, they simply have to go.
    But, as I said earlier, I do kind of like the extra activity on the sea. Perhaps adjusting the spawn rates/number spawnable would help. Making the pirates a tad weaker earlier on would also help. Might also be worthwhile to keep them from spawning until the Lanun player has researched optics. This would help protect from an early swarm of pirates before player even has a chance to get sailing.

2. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

Yeah I think the Lanun should need optics before they start spawning.

3. Neomega

Neomega Deity

I don't mind the pirates. they are hella weak. Even triremes and galleys are more powerful, and the pirates don't particularly stay away from the coasts.

4. Fafnir13

Fafnir13 King

One pirate ship is weak. Many pirate ships, all at once or in quick succession, are the problem.

5. Neomega

Neomega Deity

But they don't even have any promotions. Galley with Apprenticeship + buccaneer crew = 7.2 vs pirate's 5. Trireme with Apprenticeship + buccaneer = 9.6 vs pirate's 5. If you are defending a pirate cove, you get yet another 10%. 1 or 2 kills, and you have a pretty powerful ship.

But that reminds me about a bug. (Galleons are useless, and cost more than firgates)

6. Fafnir13

Fafnir13 King

Don't galleons have more cargo capacity? Thought that was their purpose.

Anyways, what I often see happen is one pirate weakens, then another kills. Groups of about three triremes are usually safe, but I don't always have the resources to have three triremes guarding each coastal city and continue whatever land-based conquest is going on.
    The ocean going nature of the pirates is mostly a problem on maps where you get sea-like bodies of water. Lots of coast wrapped around a relatively small area. Pirates can zip across it while triremes have to make their way along the coast. The problem is compounded if you're using buccaneers due to the lost movement.

7. Neomega

Neomega Deity

nope.