1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm pro-Second Amendment, but

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Japanrocks12, May 8, 2011.

1. Japanrocks12

Japanrocks12 tired of being a man

... is it just me who finds the gun nut culture to be profoundly disturbing? Like, that one time on TV, this old dude led an entire convention of gun owners, then he produced his gun and began hugging it, saying things like "I love my gun. They won't take it away from me," clinging tight to it in reaction to a gun control measure being enacted somewhere else.

Then you have the guys who have piles of guns in their cars, at home, etc. And let's not get started on gun conventions.

I guess the discussion that I want to foster is, is it alright for me to completely back the freedom of these guys to buy as many guns as they want but to feel a bit of disgust and revulsion as to how gun-centric their lives have become? Honestly, it feels like a sexual attraction to guns for me.

2. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Big gun = small penis.

Nuff said.

3. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

You mean like the Charelton Heston "from my cold dead hands" thing?

4. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

If you try to get rid of the Second Amendment, I'll take aim at that legislation.

5. Mercenary82

Mercenary82 King

Well if we could wave a magic wand and make all guns in the world stop working I gladly give up mine. While governments and criminals still have weapons, is no way I will agree to any more gun control then the already strict laws we do. Its a good thing people like my Senator Harry Reid have taken the issue off the table for Dems, its a losing issue.

Excessive gun collections are a little silly though, I just stopped at 5 guns, 2 pistols, 1 hunting rifle, 1 assault rifle, and 1 shotgun, and I don't see a reason to get more unless you hunt a lot and need different types of hunting rifles.

6. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

My family has three guns (unless you count BB guns): A .22 (Good for scaring off herons :groucho:), a shotgun, and a pistol.

7. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

Gun collectors are just as weird as any other kind of obsessive collectors. For whatever reason though, our culture happens to be more accepting of them.

8. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

You need a double barrelled shotgun, a chaingun, a chainsaw, a plasma rifle and a BFG to finish off the collection.

EDIT: And a rocket launcher of course.

9. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Of course it is alright. With the exception of hate crimes legislation, we don't have thought police in this country. You're free to feel whatever you want. There are plenty of things that I find repulsive, but back the freedom of others to engage in.

10. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

I think you're talking about Charlton Heston's famous "from my cold dead hands speech."

You're rendition of that event is a misleading.

The problems is gun owners such as myself are stereotyped by such misleading statements.

What if you just like to collect guns? Isn't that a reason?

11. Dawgphood001

Dawgphood001 The Professional Poster

For some of these rednecks, it's the only way they can feel relevant. If you're fat, drunk and stupid, at least you can shoot someone, or something.

This sort of mindset generally applies to foreign policy nowadays.

12. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

Anyone without atleast one gun is going to be sad when zombies/aliens/ninjas/pirates/commies show up.

13. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Basically this, although in fairness, most of the doods I know who shoot and collect are more pillars of the community types.

14. Dawgphood001

Dawgphood001 The Professional Poster

zombies = fair enough.
    aliens = my 20 gauge shotgun would probably be no match for a plasma death ray.
    ninjas = are you kidding me? They're ninjas. They can bring a knife to a gun fight, and win.
    pirates = I'm not a sailor, so meh.
    commies = I'd probably join up with them.

:cool:

15. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Does that include legislation that makes it illegal for some people to possess or laws that enhance criminal penalties merely for gun possession?

16. Mercenary82

Mercenary82 King

It just causes people to be paranoid and support gun control when they here of people stockpiling large amounts of weapons. I personally don't think the suspicion of gun owners who collect lots of guns is justified, but we also have to be pragmatic and try not to cause to much suspicion in todays PC society.

17. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Less bizarre than those that collect insects. Killing critters just to morbidly stick pins in the on a board. That's sick. Collecting guns? Not so much.

18. eazyhasaids

eazyhasaids Prince

I'm staunchly for the freedom of religion but I find radical islam and evangelical christianity to be disturbing and distasteful so no, nothing wrong with this.

19. Behind The Mask

Behind The Mask King

If I didn't know better I could consider that post a terroristic threat...

But we know better right :lol::lol::lol:

*Phone Dials*

20. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Ehhhh....iono. I'm fine with like...collections of historical guns as antiques or for preservation purposes or whatever because, for whatever reason, such a collection seems significantly less...harmful? or else less usable to inflict violence in my mind. But for collections of modern-day weapons in a non-military context, that seems over-the-top. I can understand maybe collecting BBs or hunting rifles or whatever, but then you have people running around collecting shotguns and stuff, and I don't understand the appeal of collecting something whose sole purpose for existence is to make murder more efficient.

And yeah, I know guns can be put to generally good uses for society as a whole, don't get me wrong, I just...i dunno. Can't really express it.