1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

im really enjoying PTW

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by ThePrankMonkey, Nov 17, 2002.

1. ThePrankMonkey

ThePrankMonkey mowing em' down!

i bought PTW last weekend and ivealready played two games and i won them both (space victory each time).

i noticed that the AI has become more reasonable in relation to trades. no more of this "i'll give you one worthless tech(like free artistry and the wonder is already built) for 500 GPT and half your cities". also i notice that the civs have more amusing things to say, this has made the game a tad more fun.

i cant auto bombard. WHY?

when i take a city all ships/aircraft dont crash and burn. why did this animation go away?

when i go from age to age why doesnt the music change? why doesnt that city morphing screen pop up? this is a tad annoying.
    if i reload the game later (after i go eat dinner or something) the music that plays fits the age i'm in but wont change if i play the game straight through.

there seems to be a bug in the tech as well. the other civs will be in modern age but free artistry and music theory tech are still showing up in the list of techs. i know they arent exactly needed but can you go to the next age without researching them now? i just thought this was strange when the other civs were wanting my world map free artistry and fission(im using this tech as an example) to trade world maps or luxuries.

the AI is smarter in battle and battles are more realistic (no tanks being taken down by spearmen yet!:lol: ) but battles are more challenging and you stand a better chance at losing battles with the civil defense improvement.

speaking of improvements i like the civil defense improvement (i have yet to have a city come under siege anyway) and i like the stock exchange. i find that ican make more money and rely less on other civs for my income. i also find that making money in general is easier and you are less prone to going broke. i like the inter net wonder but i dont notice much difference before and after building it. i LOVE the accelerated start up feature.

the new units are pretty cool although i find guerillas to be worthless ONLY if you cant get rubber and even then they are good only as a temporary fix until you take another civs city with rubber in it borders. they should bumped their A and D up to 8 each but thats just me.

i LOVE the news civs, korea is SO easy to wipe out its not even funny! the mognols are just like the zulu, stupid and war like. spain is pretty good and the ottomans and charthaginians are worthy opponents. arabia isnt too bad but the irish are push overs IMO. the vikings arent too bad.

i find it easier to win my games and i like that, there are new challanges and the new units and improvements definitely keep your governors busy building things through out the game.

over all i find the game more enjoyable to play even though there are more options, commands, units, improvements etc in the game. at first i thought it was too busy but now i dont think it is, i think its just right. there are some bugs but overall i think the 30 bucks i spent were worth it. its made the game so much more fun over all.

i think PTW improves upon the game and i know the bugs can be annoying but they will make patches for these problems so i'm not overly concerned about any bugs i'm running into as long as nothing crashes, if anything does THEN i will be a tad miffed.

i didnt get this for the MP part of it, i wanted the extra civs, improvements, unts, etc. so far im pretty darn happy with it all things considered.:goodjob:

2. Spidoinkel

Spidoinkel Chieftain

check you have advanced unit controls checked in the preferences.

check that automatic animations are on in preferences.

works for me

3. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

In addition, you can't auto-bombard tiles next to you if you have the interrupt on spotting enemy flags checked (as you'll detect an enemy every turn and it'll interrupt your auto-bombard).

4. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

Do you have v1.04? I think the lack of plane animations was fixed in the patch.

CG

5. Syiss

Syiss Chieftain

Music Theory and Free Artistry were never required to advance, even in the original Civ 3.

6. JonathanValjean

JonathanValjean Porschephile

CivIIenthusiast, I agree with so many of your thoughts. It's nice to see a post like yours in praise of the PTW expansion. I also think that it has made the game substantially more enjoyable. Happy civving! BTW, I echo Cgannon64. If you don't have patch 1.04, get it! It fixed quite a lot!

7. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

The animations and sounds of catapults and cannons have been improved. I can't believe I actually used some catapults :smoke: There's no change in the stats for catapults, but it felt to me like they were more powerful (actually damaged a unit every time!). Guerrillas are nice when you are stuck with no rubber. It's good to see the medievel infantry counter-attacking my knights instead of swordsman (1 extra attack helps the AI a little bit). Outposts are worthless. Spain should not have the flag for 'never build wealth' checked because then they never build banks and stock exchanges.

8. Yzman

Yzman Deity

I think that wealth refers to wealth. I think trade refers to banks/markets.

9. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Trade refers to harbors and airports (Spain will build marketplaces, because of the happiness benefit, this might be considered under the 'trade' flag, but not sure). Wealth is banks and stock exchanges, and possibly Wealth (capitalization) also. There is a post about this in the PTW bugs forum.

10. Silverflame

Silverflame OBJECTION!

I find the arabs quite peculiar though. They keep founding cities on the other side of the continent! Whats up with that.

I agree with you bamspeedy on how outposts are worthless. As I have mentioned before on some other thread (I forgot which), scouts should be able to build outposts. That way you dont have to waste any workers during Ancient times.

Yep, PTW is definately worth it for the SP :)

11. satchel

satchel Prince

I love medieval infantry. I'm about the furthest thing from a warmonger that there is, but this unit has made me much more agressive. What a fun unit!

12. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

I think my favorite new unit is the Med. Inf. (Haven't tried the extra yet...). I'm usually a builder in the middle ages (more of a warmonger in antiquity - build up 30-40 swords, then start building)... But, that's changing. :D Indust. Age... I usually only go to war if I have tanks before anyone else. Guerrilas might come in handy if I don't have rubber. Modern - usually the game is won by then. :)

I have yet to use outposts, and I haven't gone far enough to use the Civil Defense improvement...