I'm starting to think Civilization V just sucks and is a bad game.

That is because Civilization V vainilla IS a bad game and sucks donkey gonads. Sorry folks, but I am getting pretty tired of the videogaming industry selling half made games with no prior testing as if they were fully finished games, then hoping to mend their shortcoming trought patches and / or DLC.

Civilization V Gods & Kings is, however, an entertaining game.

Civilization V: Brave New World is the bee's knees and a helluva Civilization entry.

You should seriously buy the expansion.

Just to add my humble thoughts..

A practical tip: a Xbow in a city will ward off all but the really serious early attacks. Don't worry about pillaging, your workers can fix it easily enough afterwards. However, if you are using iron-based units you also need to protect your supply mine.
I'm still learning the game and play at King (and make plenty of mistakes), but I no longer worry about early DOWs - they usually turn out beneficial if you handle it correctly. Anyway, a basic rule is that it is a lot harder to take a city than to defend one.

Seriously, I think your issues are around game expectations - we all have frustrating times within each game, but overall the game is bloody great. My biggest frustration is my own knowledge and ability, and only playing the game will improve that!

Vanilla is not as bad as some think but the G&K expansion is significantly better - and from all I hear BNW is a further improvement. Don't stop playing!

You're saying you can't have an army and STILL concentrate on wonders? Well, I think we found the problem. If you start close to someone, don't ing build all the wonders but get an army up and kick Lizzy's butt (she would like that tho). When you are secure, you can focus on some wonders, but don't try to build them all... It's not even necessary. Just pick the ones that you feel will help you on your way to victory.

Also, you can completely ignore all the wonders and capture an enemy capital which has built them all. But....... You need an army for that!

Yes I know that, but sometimes it's too much.

The AI in this game can be aggressive as heck; but when you do the same what happens, WORLD DOW.

I`ve seen all Ais declare war against 1 AI by itself while I watch from the sidelines. In fact, one AI attacked me and everyone else declared war on IT.
I mean, the game is alright if you're just trying to play defensively, but the war in this game sucks.

This just sounds like `I want it all` frustration without thinking about what you`re saying.
It's just so boring to have the whole world against, then having to deal with Barbarians, then having to deal with debt because you're trying to keep up with the AI on units.

This is what strategy games are all about. You will also find that life in general is like this too; you can`t buy all the nice things you want because then you`ll have no money left to buy food, or pay your bills. So you have to MANAGE and make JUDGEMENT CALLS. People who just buy what they want and don`t pay the rent end up on the street wondering why other people still keep their homes.

But it's like, if I try to keep up with the AI on units, I can't keep up with Science.

If I try to keep up on Science; I can't keep up with the AI Warrior spam.

When Elizabeth declared war on me, there was NO WAY for me to have as many Warriors as she did and STILL concentrate on building wonders. I think Elizabeth had, what? Like 2 cities? Yet she's popping out 7 Warriors before 2000 BC.

You`re making a lot of assumptions based on not much knowledge and frustration. If the game is too hard for you go down to an easier level until you can manage things and multi-task better.

It sounds to me like your difficulty is too high?

Things going wrong can be fustrating, i started my current island game with all my food sea based (it looked a good start to me as a newbie, 2 gold, 1 gems, 4 fish but has played out as a slow start) , i desperately wanted great lighthouse as it was a tiny island map.. yet because barb galleys kept starving me (zone of control off barbs..nasty!) i had to build triremes instead..and missed GL by 2 turns...

But thats not a crappy game thing..thats a crap luck thing

When Elizabeth declared war on me, there was NO WAY for me to have as many Warriors as she did and STILL concentrate on building wonders. I think Elizabeth had, what? Like 2 cities? Yet she's popping out 7 Warriors before 2000 BC.

Just seen this

Im only just starting civ v myself, but i beat civ iv on imm..

I can tell you that on higher levels the only EARLY wonder i tended to build (if possible) was oracle.

I built workers, settlers (if i had space) and mainly focussed on hooking up resources and taking a neighbour down and CAPTURING mids etc..

On every civ ive played (and i have played them all) if you try to spam wonders early on decent levels you get hammered...try booting up BTS on imm and spam wonders and see what happens ;)

Once your in a commanding position, you can build them though.

My suggestion for handling DOWs:
The AI in this game can be aggressive as heck
I mean, the game is alright if you're just trying to play defensively, but the war in this game sucks.
Agree. HOWEVER, all you have to do is build a ranged unit + a few defenders for each city. you don't really need #1 in soldiers, but it is useful. Remember, the defender has all the advantages. You can bombard his units for several turns without them capturing your city. And during that time you can also hit them ranged units and block your city with melee. Keep that up, drive back their forces, destroy their attack force but DO NOT pursue them. Wait for a while until the AI decides to hand a stack of gold to YOU in exchange for peace.

At least , that's how most of my wars go.

For what it's worth, on small maps + expansions at least, you can play Immortal or lower and still go for some Wonders (love the Hanging Gardens, yeah, I said it), etc., if you don't end up in a war on two fronts early. And you can survive on 3 cities early, or even just 2 if you have the Hanging Gardens and an uber-capital in general.

Not saying it's the optimal strategy, just saying you can do it. At least with the expansions ... what the hell are you doing playing vanilla? :)

I sympathize with your basic complaints about the game, as I think the constant DOW'ing is ridiculous and not fun. I know, Civking5 will come on here and say: "I like it because it makes the game more challenging"...

However, I would drop down in difficulty level, if I were you. I admit that I find myself going back to CivIV more and more these days, because of constant DOW'ing and other issues, but even then I play at a lower difficulty level than I am capable of, because AI bonuses can be so frustrating. Sure, it makes the late game easier, but overall it makes the game more enjoyable.

You could try the expansion, but I would try dropping down a difficulty level first.

I just had another game, that proves my point ONCE AGAIN.

I settled 4 cities. There are mines in each city. I had each city produce a library, then a Swordsman. BEFORE I EVEN HAVE TIME TO MAKE UNITS the Aztecs declare war for no reason with 3 Warriors.

This game is all luck based. You better hope you don't get spawned by a warmonger AI because then you're done with. They'll hit you with units before you have time to make an army. And if you try to have as many units as them? You fall behind in Science. Heck, screw that, you could focus all your cities on units and STILL not have as many units as the warmonger AI by that time. And ofcourse no other Civ labels him a warmonger, because he's an AI.

I get tired of this "OMG! YOU'RE DOING BETTER THAN ME! I'M GOING TO DECLARE WAR" crap. Seriously, a preschooler could program better AI.

You've proven that you have hit a skill plateau and you need help getting over it. When you're ready to behave yourself, start a new thread in the strategy section and post images of the map at roughly 30 turn intervals starting on turn 0 detailing your decision making process. And upgrade to G+K at minimum so people can give you up to date information. I don't remember all the changes since vanilla.

I had each city produce a library, then a Swordsman.
What turn? Why swords? Swords are for offense, archers and spears are for defense.

BEFORE I EVEN HAVE TIME TO MAKE UNITS the Aztecs declare war for no reason with 3 Warriors.
You just said you had time to build libraries and four swords! Do you have units or not? Four swords will beat three warriors, so what is the problem? That he attacked you just to be a dick? Montezuma has been a psycho since forever, he will attack you no matter what.

I settled 4 cities. There are mines in each city. I had each city produce a library, then a Swordsman. BEFORE I EVEN HAVE TIME TO MAKE UNITS the Aztecs declare war for no reason with 3 Warriors.

This game is all luck based. You better hope you don't get spawned by a warmonger AI because then you're done with. They'll hit you with units before you have time to make an army. And if you try to have as many units as them? You fall behind in Science. Heck, screw that, you could focus all your cities on units and STILL not have as many units as the warmonger AI by that time. And ofcourse no other Civ labels him a warmonger, because he's an AI.

I get tired of this "OMG! YOU'RE DOING BETTER THAN ME! I'M GOING TO DECLARE WAR" crap. Seriously, a preschooler could program better AI.

Then its obvious Civ V isn't for you. The Ai is your competitor, its supposed to act when you do better. Most people don't have the problem you have because they either play on a difficulty level appropriate to them or know how to avoid DOWs. If you want to play Bob the Builder go down in difficulty and you can happily build all the wonders and buildings you want, without putting much thought into it. If you want to survive on higher difficulties you need to be focused and know the game mechanics. Your problems are your own fault.

I'm starting to think my vacuum cleaner is a bad appliance and just sucks.

I mean, it would be one thing if it spread dirt around, but it doesn't, it just sucks.

I ran it again recently thinking maybe I was doing something wrong, but I'm not, it just sucks.

And don't even get me started about that stuff my bull dropped in my back yard; it's total bullcrap.

I understand your frustration.

I started playing the original Civ, pre-ordered V, and played it about 600 hours before I lost interest. I recall it as an unfinished game.
But the way I remember it, just like the other games in the series, you can choose which civs you play against. I detest Sitting Bull, so he doesn't get to play IV with me. He's annoying and no fun. So if Alex and Monty won't play fair and are no fun, don't include them when you start. It's a game. It should be fun ( unless it's called golf ;) ) Monty has always been a nut-job with bloodthirsty gods to appease. Alex has always wanted it all. I suspect you don't much like Genghis, either.

Okay. Now that I think about it,I don't believe you had the same freedom of choice in the original Civ. You chose who you played as. So if you chose Babylon ( conveniently located near the convergence of 3 continents, for lower costs with a large intercontinental ) empire, you wouldn't face Babylon or the Aztecs, because they both used the light green color. Rome and Russia were both white. Only one could be in a given game. So there was strategy involved in selection of a civ.

But there have always been aggressive A.I.s or belligerent barbarians in the game.
Speaking of Civ I, I was playing as Egypt, building Pyramids and other wonders when Napoleon attacked me by surprise! He captured my coastal core city, Memphis, and I sued for peace on his terms. Next turn he declared war again! He nuked my capital before I could redeploy. I abandoned that game in shock. I didn't know any civ would break a treaty the next turn. But afterwards, the more I thought about it, the more I believed that the behavior was perfectly Napoleonesque, and that the game had modeled him very well.

I like to play for 6,000 years of peace sometimes myself. To do that I have to prepare to defend myself . I need as may or more men than my potential enemy. I need to have more or bigger and friends than my potential enemy. Otherwise, they'll declare war.

Be forewarned that winning a game that way won't score as high as a global domination win.

Just because I have won IV on Diety a few times doesn't make that fun. I would much rather play at a near neutral bonus level and build my favorite wonders. It's okay to do whatever you like in single player.

If what you would like to do is win, I suggest you post a save game and allow these gentlemen to help you with it.

I got mad and bored at vanilla..

..but with G&K and especially Brave New World, it's now my favorite game of all time..!

I never played Civ before until I bought Civ V (vanilla) at Apple's App Store. I loved the game. And I've since upgraded to Gods and Kings and now BNW.

Sure, vanilla had problems, and BNW was a lot of early rushing by the AI's. But I mostly kept my cool. I came here and read the threads, and asked advice.

I only play on Prince level. And last night Assyria attacked me early game with a ton of those seige towers and a few composite bowmen. My capital's defense was three crossbwomen, a pikeman, and a horseman. I easily repelled the attack.

After peace he declared war on me several times. But I fixed his butt in the World Congress where I was host and had the power to outvote all the other AI's combined. And I embargoed Assyria :)

To the OP: Buy the later expansions and read the various threads here, and don't be afraid to ask for help. The group here is great and will give you all the help and advice you need. And as others have said, include screenshots so or a saved game.

Geez, this thread seems to be getting about 1 response every 10 minutes, so my 2cents worth will be lost in the shuffle.

Anyway, I usually enjoy early DOWs -- I say usually, 'cause sometimes I get totally creamed by Alex or someone like that on about turn 25. But usually the early DOWs don't amount to much, and after about 20-30 turns of half-hearted warfare the AI offers peace on terms favorable to me.

I play at the Emperor level (sometimes Immortal), usually on huge maps.

Montezuma has been a psycho since forever, he will attack you no matter what.

yup i had 9 or 10 times his military in one game on bts (world map,and i cheesily played romans who had iron in bfc..praetorians rule the world!)

he still attacked me :)

Top Bottom