1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm trying to understand the commerce economy

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Platinum Onyx, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Nestorius

Nestorius Prince

For that screenshot, I'd be putting cottages first on non-forested grasslands, farming the riverside plains, and be worrying about what to do with the non-irrigated plains later.... you probably wouldn't get to those until the industrial age.

Your capital city, if you get a early start on it, will have more commerce with four Towns, than some later perfect city with eight cottages, because you've given the capital all this time to grow. So why worry about the plains? You might not even have enough resources to get to Size 20.

2. BalbanesBeoulve

BalbanesBeoulve Emperor

Unless you have biology you never farm plains. There's no point. For the same amount of food you can work 2 farmed plains or 1 farmed grassland and 1 cottaged plain. It's a no brainer which would be more productive.

3. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

This presumes that you have grassland. If I have a city with desert and plains only, no grassland, chain irrigation and farmed plains allows me to actually make use of the city and grow it above size 4.

4. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

Remember that the city square itself provides 2 food without requiring, thus you should have +6 surplus (taking your word on the cows and sheep).

5. hecubus

hecubus General Specific

Or farm the plains and cottage the grassland. If both tiles are riverside and you have the population to work both, there's really no difference. A farm is +1 without bio, regardless of terrain. A cottage is +1 and growing, regardless of terrain.

6. Nestorius

Nestorius Prince

A reason for farming riverside plains is that often growth and production are more important than commerce for a city early to mid game. If I'm going to stunt my growth by working a one-food tile, I'm going to use a mined-hill. A farmed riverside plain gives a little production, commerce, and doesn't slow down growth.

For non riverside plains, I prefer to leave them empty and hope some forest spreads over them.

By late game, of course, things may be different.

7. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

The whole point of farming plains is that you don't slow down growth and you get a hammer as well (and a commerce if the tile is riverside).

Comparing a mined grassland hill to an unimproved plains is pointless. Plus, if you don't have much food a windmill on the hill is a better choice generally.

Everything is important early to mid-game, its just you don't have as many options early game so your specialization is more heavily dictated by your land.

My biggest point of contention was the use of the word NEVER when describing when to farm a plains tile. Rarely will I want to farm a plains tile but there are short and long-term situations where doing so is the best option.

8. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

A farmed plain + grassland town has the same output as a farmed grassland + plains town, but you get there faster if you farm the grassland first and work it to get a second pop point which then goes on the plains.

9. Diamond

Diamond Chieftain

A sheep on a plains hill gives 3 food, a cow on plains gives 3 food. So that's a grand total of two extra food there, which is not near enough to feed and grow that city. The copper and marble alone eat that up. I prefer the flexibility that more food gives you.

I would put a couple more farms down, cottage the rest of the flatland, mine the grassland hills, maybe windmill the plains hill down the line. Leave the trees on the un-irrigated plains for the health bonus, but arrange your farms so that you can spread irrigation there after civil service.

10. Diamond

Diamond Chieftain

Right, but a farmed plains and cottaged grassland would be identical. It doesn't matter which you farm, as long as you balance it out.

11. Landmonitor

Landmonitor Prince

The worst is when the AI has a town on a grassland hill and you just ahve to pillage it because that's just abuse of a perfectly good hill.

12. Landmonitor

Landmonitor Prince

The worst is when the AI has a town on a grassland hill and you just ahve to pillage it because that's just abuse of a perfectly good hill.

13. Heathen_Penguin

Heathen_Penguin Chieftain

Just wanted to point out that irrigation can also be chained from the city, if it is on a tile that can normally chain irrigation (and would be irrigated). This can be useful if you need the riverside for a watermill.

I think the farm/village commerce/discussion so far has the pertinent information.

Heathen