Imaging this scenario. Lets flip the tables on iraq!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Xanikk999, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Lets flip the tables on iraq!

Imagine your country was invaded by a force from another country, wether it be the E.U, china, or the U.S, claiming to be "liberators". Oh and at the same time a dictator just recently came into power in your country. For added twist lets say the "liberators" installed him a couple decades ago. ;) :lol:

Would you support terrorist tactics against them to get rid of the "liberators"?

2. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

Well, i'd offer them a cup of tea (and a biscuit) first. Then politely ask them to leave.

Then i'd reserve the right to become somewhat vexed with them if they failed to oblige.

3. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

I would blow them up myself. During WWII my mothers second cousin did this when the Soviets liberated "Estonia". Yes I am related to a suicide bomber.

4. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Now it would be really ironic if you supported the war in iraq. Glad to hear this world is such a small place!

5. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

I would not support terrorist tactics against my fellow Americans. However, I would join the resistance against so-called "liberators". If or when they leave, I would demand reparations for the damage they did in the war and occupation. After being given funds for repairs, I would say, "Ok, don't do that again. Now leave us alone." If not given reparations, I would simply steam and grumble. As far as the dictator goes, if the US ever had a dictator and installers of said dictator killed him, I'd say, "Thanks! Now please don't occupy our country anymore and please leave."

6. ShannonCT

ShannonCT Deity

If you want to flip the tables on Iraq, make it accurate: The dictator has been in power for 24 years, was not installed by the liberators, and has been slaughtering his political opponents for years. The dictator has isolated his country from the rest of the world and has significantly decreased the quality of life of his country.

Then to answer, I would support the liberators in their attempt to remove the dictator and his allies from power, if I believed that the liberators intended to return sovereignty to the people after the job was done.

7. ionimplant

ionimplant Prince

are you sure about the above two points?

8. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

In that case, I'd support the "liberators" until their job is done, and then drive them out.

9. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

That sounds a bit more accurate.

That's mostly my opinion in the revised scenario. If the invaders intended to give the country back to the people, I'd be in favor of the invaders. If the invaders intended to conquer it, I'd fight them too.

10. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

The doctrine of sovreignity gives me the basic right to attack the invader, and all collaborators, using whatever methods, means and tactics are at hand.

11. angeleyes

angeleyes mood indigo

but you don't believe this, don't you? They won't give up their (re)gained influence.

12. ShannonCT

ShannonCT Deity

1. Absolutely.

2. In the hypothetical situation? Who knows? In Iraq? Absolutely.

And the doctrine of the rights of man gives me the basic right to put a bullet in the head of any fascist, theocratic, communist, or secular dictator that makes me a slave.

As much as we've given up influence in Germany, Italy, France, The Netherlands, Belgium, Japan, South Korea, The Phillipines...

13. angeleyes

angeleyes mood indigo

C'mon, the american 'culture' :)rolleyes:) swamps us ....We get sick of it, but sadly the majority loves it :(

14. ShannonCT

ShannonCT Deity

That's a bit different than taking your sovereignty, isn't it? If it was a violation of sovereignty, you could just ban it.

15. Irish Caesar

Irish Caesar Yellow Jacket

Violent strikes against military targets are not terrorism.

1865?

:mischief:

16. Guangxi

Guangxi King

EU? :lol:
    i would cook up some Molotov cocktails and throw them at troops, i suppose.

17. ShannonCT

ShannonCT Deity

Exactly. Maybe the question should have been: Would you support terrorist tactics to blow up the innocent people who had been oppressed by the dictator for decades and who will now have the chance to participate in democracy if you don't stop them?

18. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

Oh, thanks a lot! :mad: If you don't like our "culture", then, um, too bad. :mad: Complain to your countrymen. :mad:

19. angeleyes

angeleyes mood indigo

You don't have culture!, you only have business!

20. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Yeah its kind of a toss-up between a cuppa and fighting on the beaches...