1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Immaculate NES Five: Blood From A Stone

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Immaculate, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

The Sub-Saharan Pact:

Signatories agree to:

I. Mutual non-aggression
    II. To aid the other(s) in the event of hostility by non-signatories
    III. Preferential treatment for trade between Signatories over non-signatories
    IV. Signatories are not bound by treaty to aid in a war of aggression against non-signatory(ies) by other members.

This Treaty is currently open to:
    I. Tukufu Tangynika
    II. Bantu Ubuntu

Additionally, the following Nations are open for application to the treaty, in its entirety or partial:

I. Khoisan Kingdom
    II. Makuata

Signatories:

Tukufu Tangynika
    Bantu Ubuntu

The Council of the New Day hereby signs for Tukufu Tangynika.

[OOC: Was the Khoisan Kingdom will to partake in Clause III?

2. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Bantu Ubuntu signs this treaty.

Khoisan will agree to point III provided a small percentage of tarrifs on the import of finished textile goods can be retained in their nation. (IE- they want to protect their domestic textile industry which they feel may not be sufficient to compete with the global market, if, for example, the Umma Al-Mu'minin were to start importing through your nation)

3. Darksaber1

They certainly can.

4. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

Immac: Can I havea very short extension, until I get an answer? (The rest of my orders are pretty much written up, I'm just waiting for a response from ASEAN)

5. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Okay,

ORDERS ARE NOW DUE WEDNESAY, SEPTEMBER 7th, 2011​

6. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

Why is this moving so damn fast... Gah!

My orders are already late and will be skeletal at best.

7. Frozen In Ice

Frozen In Ice Emperor

Press Announcement From the Office of the High Commander

To the citizens of Brazil, the people of Peru, and countries from around the world. After much consideration, intense diplomatic efforts, and military analyses, the government of Brazil has come to the decision that to intervene in Peru against the aggressor communists would not be viable and would result in too much loss of life. Brazil still condemns the action against Peru by the communist states of the Andean Commune and Colombia. Any refugees that need shelter and food are welcome in Brazil. We wish we could do more, but even the people of Brazil have their limits.

However, Colombia has agreed that they shall not plot against or attack Brazil, and we want this to be known by the world over. This way they will not dare to betray Brazil, unless they want Colombia to be known as a nation of lying thieves.

Continue to be determined and hard-working, people of Brazil, and we shall prosper.

8. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

Canada stands by her Brazilian allies on this subject.

9. Darksaber1

Governing:
    The markets of Nairobi may not have truly bustled, but they were lively as people went around there business. It was sun after sunset, however an act by the Council had arranged so that the market would not be affected by the standard rolling blackouts until after midnight, allowing life to continue. Since the market was the only part of the city not affected by the scheduled blackouts, it actually became livelier after sunset, as people from other parts of the city flocked to wait-out their hour of darkness[1].
    On the plus side, at least their seemed to be something being done about the power situation. Or, at there was talks about something being done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Look, I don’t think anyone is saying they disagree with the idea,-”

“I am!”

“-but rather with the poorly thought-out implementation!”

“No, I think it all around a bad idea!”

“Ok, Mr. Zakharov, why don’t you tell us what you’re talking about?” Energy Commissioner A. Kibaki asked from beneath his hand, ignoring the shouted comments from his left.

“What I am trying to say, is that the idea of the synthetic fossil fuels is a decent one, since it will provide fuel for our aircraft and other vehicles, and allow the population without reliable electricity to the use of light, heat and cooking, but at the same time they are a next consumer of electricity, which given our current energy shortages is clearly a bad thing. If we can solve this problem, I am sure we will all agree that letting the people use these fuels is better than them face the health risks from burning dung, or the environmental damage from wood and charcoal.”

“I wouldn’t!”

“Miss Skye, would you like to actually speak, or would you prefer to just keep shouting comments over other people?” Council Speaker T. Kibaki asked with a sight, turning his swivelling chair in the centre of the ring of desks to fix the young Scotswoman with a glare.

“Yes!” Skye , Representative of the Green Collective of , said once more displaying a wiliness to give useless answers [2].

“Yes what?” T. Kibaki asked in a pained voice.

“Yes please?”

“If you have something to say it, say it now!” Col. Santiago, council rep from the Military and the Latin American Confederate Opposition and Liberation (L.A.C.O.A.L.) snapped. It had been a long meeting.

“Fine! These “synthetic fossil fuels” are no different than the same fossil fuels that already destroyed civilization once, and now you want to go and make more? Are you serious?”

“Yes, Miss Skye, we understand that,” Mr. Zakharov said, slowly and carefully, “but distributing this fuel will be far cheaper than expanding the powergrid, and can be done until we can do so.”

“Alright, Mr. Zakharov, what other choice do we have?” asked Nairobi Representative S. Kibaki, glancing at her cousins as two aids helped Miss Skye up from where she had fallen of her chair.

“Well, the main problem we face at the moment is: where do we get the energy to “charge” these Synth fuels with? There are concerns that prevent reactivating and expanding the hydro-electric projects until proper assessments can be performed, solar and wind a to expensive for us to manufacture in large enough quantities at this time, so that brings us to this:” at a gesture, an aid pulled the cover off of the projector, displaying a map o the canvas screen at one end of the room. “the Great Rift Valley. Even before the Collapse, there we projects to tap the geothermal power, and I propose we do the same, since evidence suggests that there is massive potential for power there, and we could potentially start getting power by the end of the year, with enough funding.”

“Well, it’s the best idea we’ve had all day,” Energy Commissioner A. Kibaki said with a shrug “so I guess we might as well do it.”

“Alright,” Council Speaker T. Kibaki said “we might as well consider this meeting over.” He then added in English, as people got up, stretching and groaning from hours seated and moved to the doors, “Miss Skye, would you like some help?”

“No,” came the reply from somewhere under her desk, “I just seem to have gotten me dress caught under the foot of ma desk, dun worry about me!”

“OK.” Council Speaker T. Kibaki said with a sight as he reached the doors. “Just turn all the lights off when you get yourself out.”

“I will, just like last time!”

[1] to cope with the current energy issues, most regions with power (such as Nairobi) make use of rolling blackouts. Nairobi is divided into 25 energy districts, with each having the power turned off for 1 hour per day. The market is the exception, with no power between 12:30 and 3:30 at night.

[2] Deidre Skye was originally born in former Scotland, and moved to Tukufu Tangynika in her late teens to attempt to spread the ideas to the region. While her sociological missionary work largely failed to take-off, she did quickly get elected head of a commune of about 1500 eco-pseudocommunists on the West shore of Lake Victoria, and has since become something of nuisance to the Council. There are rumours that she may be an agent of the Confederate Communalist Union government, sent to damage the country by generally being a bother to the Council, at least among those who can understand her mutilated Swahili [2b].
    [2b] Which she learned after deciding her interpreter wasn’t properly conveying her passion, drive, emotion and true meaning, not that her passion, drive and emotion are hard to miss for those whose stationary and drinks bounce across the table as she pounds (or in once case, jumps) on it, or get hit by her wild gestures and weapons-grade accent.

10. ChiefDesigner

ChiefDesigner Sunset Emperor

WHAT WENT WRONG?
    Liangan Ribao, 3/22/2101

The preliminary report of the ROCAF Inspector General regarding the
    Hubei Incident is scheduled to be released today. While no details
    were made available to this paper at press time, the report is not
    expected to contradict the official explanation of the event issued by
    the Ministry of Defense.

In early January of 2101, both the National Security Bureau and the
    Taiwan Garrison Command reported that Hubei was massing a large
    combined arms force, with the capability for amphibious assaults and
    attached naval and air forces, near the mouth of the Yangtze. Given
    that the Hubei regime was engaged in hostilities with the so-called
    "New Qin Empire", military planners thought it curious that a
    strategic reserve would be placed so close to disputed waters;
    furthermore, despite the recent signing of FEDCO, mistrust of Hubei's
    motives remained prevalent at the highest levels of the Ministry of
    Defense. (cont page 2)

(from page 1) In early January of 2101, both the National Security Bureau and the
    Taiwan Garrison Command reported that Hubei was massing a large
    combined arms force, with the capability for amphibious assaults and
    attached naval and air forces, near the mouth of the Yangtze. Given
    that the Hubei regime was engaged in hostilities with the so-called
    "New Qin Empire", military planners thought it curious that a
    strategic reserve would be placed so close to disputed waters;
    furthermore, despite the recent signing of FEDCO, mistrust of Hubei's
    motives remained prevalent at the highest levels of the Ministry of
    Defense.

Thus, the worst fears of the General Staff seemed to be confirmed when
    early-warning systems throughout the mainland territories detected
    large radar shadows approaching from the west. Most of the command
    staff had returned home to celebrate Chinese New Year; With minutes to
    decide, the colonel on duty ordered the activation of ROC contingency
    plans, in case of a sneak attack by Blue Suns forces.

The contingency plan called for immediate retaliation against Blue
    Suns airfields, as well as an appeal to the Bingzhou regime for
    assistance. Bingzhou thus agreed to operate in coordination with the
    ROC Armed Forces.

Nearly three months passed before communication was restored with
    Sandouping; after the depth of the misunderstanding was communicated,
    the ROC advance was halted and negotiations to stabilize the situation began.

11. ChiefDesigner

To get a more detailed map of what the world looks like:

Go to flood.firetree.net and select a 60M sea level rise. That's roughly what the current map looks like.

12. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Wow- thats fairly accurate- i had not thought the current map reflected a sixty meter sea rise- i thought it was 20m based on my research.

13. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

I don't understand why inland seas like the Caspian would rise if the ice caps melted :confused:

14. ChiefDesigner

* More meltwater and increased rainfall; also, the Caspian is now connected to the Black Sea and the Med. What always gets me is the California Central Valley--it's not that hard to build a dam and seawall along the mouth of the Sacramento and save a substantial fraction of California.

* This is a very crude model--it's showing all areas of land 60m below sea level, and shading it in blue. It works, but it's not perfect.

* Immac, is the map going to change to reflect a 14 to 20m rise?

15. Julius Gandi

Julius Gandi The Foreign Disease

Since there was a collapse of civilization I would say it would be hard to build a dam and seawall anywhere. Remember that for most people right now they are living in the middle ages technology wise.

16. ChiefDesigner

But it's clearly not a total collapse, right? Standards of living have collapsed, yes, but most countries now look like the Third World in the 1950s (correct me if the term 'developing nation' is historically appropriate) or Russia during the 1920s, not Europe during the Dark Ages. You can't erase history--the world in 2100 is influenced by everything that's gone before it, and Stirlingesque fantasies aside, you can't undo the achievements of the Enlightenment.

Just off the top of my head--

You *haven't* lost the germ theory of disease, sanitation, and disinfection--just basic first aid things, doctors and nurses washing their hands and sterilizing their instruments, allows for a vastly higher population load than medieval times.

You haven't lost the capacity for international trade--because of the energy crisis, people and goods move by sailing ship or by rail. While satellite communication is infeasible, as most satellites are dead, you haven't lost undersea fibre optic cable, the mobile phone network, the Internet, or mass media; thus, information still moves at the speed of light.

You haven't lost canneries or basic food preservation technology--food's not frozen, but grocery stores still stock lots of cans and dried goods.

If I were a technocrat in 2100, the trickle of biodiesel and renewable power runs, in priority order:

* Trains, for long-range transport
    * Communications infrastructure
    * Depending on location, pumps, for irrigation and land reclamation
    * Factories and chemical plants, to produce fertilizer from organic inputs, weapons manufacture, and durable consumer goods

(If I have some time to finish up my ROC overview in as much depth as I'd like, it should give you an idea of what I'm thinking.)

IMO, the disasters come about due to the inability of most--certainly not all, but most--national institutions to cope with large-scale refugee movements due to rising sea levels, and forty years of dysfunctional (Bush-style) leadership at the highest levels of major powers.

Oh, and that 'limited nuclear exchange' thing.

17. Adrogans

Adrogans Quiet Laughter...

That might be your priority list for bio-fuels.

18. Julius Gandi

Julius Gandi The Foreign Disease

The feeling I got was that most of the survivors are living like peasant in the middle ages. All be it out of the remains of modern houses, with some things left over. Due to limited industrial capability and loss of much of the infrastructure only a few areas and people who can get access to things even as basic as what you describes. Most people live without plumbing, transportation, or even a standard job like today, other than just surviving and maybe a few odds and end jobs.

19. ChiefDesigner

Honestly, I don't think that's accurate, except maybe in a very few places. From a great post on ah.com, about the shape of the world following a full-scale nuclear exchange in 1984:

The difference is in mentality--without an organized campaign of repression, you can't take people who have grown up with social mobility and force them to be serfs, not when every pub in the countryside has a television, and cheap solar-powered and windup radios are everywhere.

Yes, it doesn't look like the modern world--there has been a lot of regression and a lot of destruction. But Third World lifestyles are lower in energy consumption than you might think--and the big bottleneck in the world of 2100 is energy.

And, now for some IC goodness.

--------

The Republic of China Sports Affairs Council proposes the formation of a new international football organization, a successor to FIFA, that would organize an international football tournament every four years. We believe that such a sporting event would be a useful way to highlight the world's slow return to normality, celebrate the end of the chaos of the 21st century and inaugurate the 22nd as a 'century of peace.'

20. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

The Pacific Islands are interested in this idea.