ImmacuNES III: Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy

Spoiler :
Initialization:
Mechzha was bored. After 25 years of rule, he was finally starting to really consider rewriting the Constitution to allow the Grand-Engineer to resign honourably from his or her post. His further thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door.

“Sir?” his aid asked, sticking his head into Mechzha’s office. “The Priest from Airdriash'Mechzius is here for his appointment.”

Mechzha just nodded in response, having just noticed an error in one of his drawings. After a moment, the aid gave a small shrug, and opened the door to let the clocked figure into the office, were it moved to the chair on the opposite side of the desk from Mechzha, and waited. After a minute or two, Mechzha finally looked up to the figure, and frowned.

“Hmm, strange. I could have sworn the High Preist of Airdriash'Mechzius was a man.” He said, with a somewhat distracted tone, before going back to his sketches. After long moment, the figure put down her hood, a slightly perplexed look on her face.

“Well? Are you going to say anything else?” she asked with a confused tone.

“No. I was clearly wrong about who was in charge of the church of Airdriash'Mechzius was, and you are presumably someone above Mr. Mhrezbia in the church hierarchy, if not the leader.”

After a moment, the women spoke. “I’m Kheizra, an I am, indeed, leader of the church. I am also your faithful servant, Architect.”

“Pardon? I’m not an architect, I’m an engineer.”

Kheizra smiled. “Yes, but your also the Architect.” She reached onto the desk, and grabbed one of Mechzhia’s sketches. “And this is your master piece.”

The Dragon is the splendour. The Dragon is the Avatar of the Machine

Spoiler :
000=Initiate Start-up Sequence=000
000=ERROR=000
000=Critical Hardware=non-Responsive=000
000=Postponing Start-up=000
111+Soon+111

To the People of Kraz-ke-Meka:
I have examined the tenants of Airdriash'Mechzius, and have determined that its tenants are indeed compatible to Dhzrem’Zhia. I advocate that the Krazian people accept the Airdriash'Mechzius as the valid choice of faith. As well, you should know that it is possible that to follow both paths at the same time. So it is that I allow Airdriash'Mechzius to operate in public, and may perform ceremonies for those how are interested.
Thank you.
-Grand-Engineer Mechzha dhes-Chreska-Phavia

i keep asking myself what happens when there is no critical failure in the start-up sequence... and i wonder... will we survive?

i keep asking myself what happens when there is no critical failure in the start-up sequence... and i wonder... will we survive?

It is a MACHINE, what harm could it cause?

Thinking positively: It'll run out of battery before it can kill everyone

Okay, I finally managed to fix the programming.

Spoiler :
000=Initiate Start-up Sequence=000
000=Loading CPU=000
000=Intializing main systems=000
000=Activate Large Hedron Colliders=000

Eh, come to think of it, this program may need some more work.

Do the infirmary and the shipyard give a bonus to repair costs? I seem to remember them doing so, but it's not on the front page.

If not, they are horribly overpriced for what they give. The only buildings to increase one attribute and grant no income (palisade, granary, city hall, etc.) are half the price.

Diamondeye,

Have i missed any response to this? Can i assume you do not want to formerly sign peace/recognize territorial borders?

Sorry for my absence; I assumed it was not a suggestion but a decleration; I accept peace for now. And you have to NPC me this turn too, it's past midnight, I really can't stay up to get orders in. Sorry :blush:

Sorry for my absence; I assumed it was not a suggestion but a decleration; I accept peace for now. And you have to NPC me this turn too, it's past midnight, I really can't stay up to get orders in. Sorry :blush:

Peace with who? Me? Tearwillow? Who?

Do the infirmary and the shipyard give a bonus to repair costs? I seem to remember them doing so, but it's not on the front page.

If not, they are horribly overpriced for what they give. The only buildings to increase one attribute and grant no income (palisade, granary, city hall, etc.) are half the price.

I hadn't thought of it; the pricing was based on something else... but you are right. Lets give them a little bonus. Henceforth the shpyards will let you repair a naval unit passing through the cultural radius of the city with it (instead of spending the whole turn in it) and the infirmary will do the same for biological martial units (but not piety or arcana units). So you can heal on the fly instead of having to spend a whole turn healing. I can't really allow heals at half price.

Peace with who? Me? Tearwillow? Who?

no, with the tearwillow.

Tyrs did you submit orders? if so, i don't have them... if not... well... thats your perogative i guess.

I'm hoping to post the update tomorrow night.

Ok.

probably after you go to bed ekolite- sorry about the time difference.

Update 9: Years 1155- 1160: Superpowers Awaken, Trade Flourishes, Magic Changes Daily Lives

Even Peace May Be Purchased at Too High a Price

Benjamin Franklin​

The years of 1155 to 1160 see a huge investment by many powers in their commercial and trade capacity. Throughout Barsaive, merchant ships and caravans are equipped to travel further, explore new markets and bring never-before seen luxuries from one end of Barsaive to the other. Nations invest in commercial mines, plantations, markets, carnivals and even ports. Many attribute the change to the recent development of interconnectivity between the Barsavian nations. The horrors, the undead hippus and most major nation-scale threats have been dealt with and so, as peace reigns, so too does trade and commerce.

In the east, the story is different. War continues to rage and as the Sjykalfar begin to crumble in the face of much greater Pilsetan production and industry, both the nations of Patria and Throal become directly entangled, sending their own soldiers to assist directly in the wars of these nations.

Finally, in Kharkush, acolytes provide fertility rituals to livestock and people. In Throal, priests of Killmorph provide divine support to miners and the blessings of the earth. The Achatin call rains, force irrigation waters to flow in reverse and generally control rains and streams to better their agriculture. Other nations do likewise, inviting magic into their everyday lives to bolster crops, organize or motivate their people or manipulate the seasons. For many nations, magic was now a regular part of domestic development.

News from Patria, Precursors to Larger War

Soqed read and reread the report that had recently arrived from offices of Emperor Perpentach. The contents of the message would severely change the way he would have to deal with the barbarians of Barsaive. The splash made by the armies of the Malakim theocracy would send ripples throughout the three great continents and Barsaive would not be spared.

Sighing, Soqed called for his greatest general, the priest of Mammon, Kryion of the Golden Hand. As he waited for his general, he thought to himself that with this news of effective isolation and abandonment, he would have to raise the torch of enlightenment that much higher over the darkness of barbarian Barsaive. He would have to act boldly, decisively. Today.

When Kryion arrived, Soqed conjured a map of Barsaive with a few quick words of arcana. Pointing with a thick finger he said only one word, “Here.”

Kryion nodded, understanding, and left in a swirl of gold-cloth. He was the moment he had been waiting for since his deployment to this gods-forsaken unenlightened province.

By 1155 the merchants and diplomats of Uld’ar, Pilseta and Kraz-ke-Meka had all traveled repeatedly to the islands of the Patrian settlements in Barsaive. The ancient seat of Patrian power in Barsaive had been rebuilt at Sky Point. Today, instead of being a fortress dedicated to the equipping and supplying of air ships, it operated with a more traditional form of naval might. The newer town of Hersek had been founded less then 20 years ago but was already prospering. Merchants, freemen and slaves all spoke of the Malakim-Patrian war in the south, on a distant continent, Landis. Soon word spread throughout Barsaive, even into the halls of Throal. There, King Vilarus the III was developing plans to capitalize on the momentary division of great Patria, ordering the construction of barracks to train sailors and marines and a new port to provide infrastructure for the construction of a Throalic navy at Krigleezi. The Pilsetans were in a strong position vis-à-vis the Sjykalfar despite the elves’ death magic and he could not allow the Patrians to make further inroads into Barsaive proper. Soon Throalic triremes and even a division of caravels were sailing Great Key bay, marines and soldiers aboard.

In Sky Point, Governor Soqed Hazi was conferring with his war council. It was time.

A Patrian Officer Receives the Blessings of Mammon

Achatin Send Food, Promises of Support to the Tear Willow

The Achatin people are incensed that their leadership would even consider assisting the Sjykalfar after what they had done to their family and loved ones in defense of elven lands. But when Sharad meets with the Tear Willow clan representatives, Commander Cleon Pathos and his rabble seem willing to allow negotiations and assistance of these particular elves. The Tear Willow, in turn, feel that they have much to share with the Achatin, both share a sense of having been betrayed by princess Anabella and her dark necromancy. The Achatin pledge to support the Tear Willow and even provide a generous gift of food and promises of gold. (an Achatin budgeting error causes the promise of gold not to appear as of yet however.)

The Tear Willow representative is very enthusiastic regarding Achatin support and races back to their forest home, dreams of formal embassies operating from Achatin swimming in his head.

When he arrives he finds only devastation.

Patria Scatters Tear Willow Clan

Within only one short month of receiving his orders, Kryion arrives on the south-western shores of the great eastern woods. Sailing up the coast to the mouth of Martyr’s river, Kyrion orders his carracks to sali upriver; his destination is not far. Soqed has informed him of the location of the elven camp; he has sensed the awakening of a new life mana node and the only likely explanation is Tear Willow mana development.

Tear Willow scouts meanwhile have spotted the Patrian ships and do what they can to call their scattered forest-dwelling people together but the Patrians move quickly; their ships are well-built and excellently crewed. The Tear Willow have less then a week to organize themselves, much too little time to properly form an adequate defense.

Led by Soqed’s maps, Kryion lands his forces less then 80 miles upriver and like a thrown javelin, marches directly for the Tear Willow life mana without deviation. Before they arrive, they are intercepted by the first of the Tear Willow defenses.

While the Patrian force consists mostly of highly disciplined formation swordsmen and mages, they also travel with horse archers, veterans from previous conflicts on Landis and trained scouts. These form a perimeter that provides an early warning against the Tear Willow shortbow skirmishers and light spearmen infantry. The Tear Willow hope to skirmish through the forest, firing their arrows and withdrawing but the Patrian scouts provide adequate warning and when the elven bowmen arrive, the Patrian infantry have their shields ready in a thick interlocking shell. The elves fire volley after volley, closing to less then 60’ when they realize the only archers the Patrians have are their horse archers and that these have been withdrawn to the Patrian rear. Realizing the futility of their efforts, the elven archer skirmishers turn to withdraw and time a new attack when the Patrian infantry formation opens enough to for a handful of robed men to step forward and chant words of arcane power. Suddenly the elven bowmen find themselves paralyzed by law magics, completely rigid and unable to run, draw their daggers or even speak. The Patrian infantry drops their defense formation and in a disciplined charge that doesn’t break formation, close on the paralyzed archers and massacre both them and their infantry support.

The Araïlumni is not without her own magicks and she soon becomes aware of the dismal failure of her forces in the face of the disciplined Patrian soldiers and their law mages. She knows she will need time to adequately gather her forces to counter the Patrian threat and so she orders runners to every secluded forest homestead, to every satyr’s glen, to every faeries’ mushroom ring… and she orders the abandonment of the corpse of Succellus. Her people slink away into the forest.

When Kryion and his forest arrive at the source of the law magic, they can only stare in wonder. In a forest clearing half-submerged in the clear waters of a high-running spring stream lies the body of a titan. The corpse is over 300’ long and consists of a giant humanoid skeleton overgrown with extensive vegetation. The tallest of trees ever known to the Patrian soldiers grows from the dead titan’s chest, the most fragrant of flowers grows from his skull. All over the corpse animals and birds crawl and fly. And around the clearing are minimalist elven dwellings, little more then shacks on stilts. Kryion orders the shacks searched while he and the mages investigate the corpse. It is as he suspected; the body of a god lies here, killed by the hands of the archangel Khanna. The elves had been worshiping the corpse, signs of their worship lay scattered everywhere.

Kryion was not here to stare at the corpse of gods however; his mission was first to punish the elves who had killed the Patrian sailors and diplomats and for that, he would have to find them. His scouts, well-trained, were quick to point out the tracks of even forest-dwelling elves and the army set out after the Tear Willow.

Meanwhile the Araïlumni had had time to organize her people, to summon her allies and with confidence that Succellus would guide her and her forces, turn back upon the Patrian soldiers. The armies of the Araïlumni consisted mostly of elves, but also included members of the Pilsetan tribes, those women who had followed the whispers of the forest so closely that they had found the source of the trees promises. It also included Satyrs and fairies, the product of a half-dead god’s feverish dreaming.

Minor acolytes of Succellus provide healing magics to the Tear Willow

But satyrs and faeries and human women drawn to romantic ideals of a forest dream are not soldiers. And though the Araïlumni was an adequate general, her people had no smithies, on mines and no metals. Her soldiers fought with bows and spears made from sharpened wood. A unit of minor acolytes provided blessings and some healing magics. And these forces broke upon quality Patrian steel. The Araïlumni called upon the powers of her god, wrapping soldiers in vines and animating trees to fight them. But her magicks were limited and even if she was able to trap an entire division or more, there were more then enough Patrian soldiers to fight her forces. And so the Patrians allowed the enemy to crash upon their mighty defensive formations while their law-mages once more called upon paralyzing magics. With their enemies immobilized, the Patrian legionaries made short work of them. The only real fight during the short one-sided battle was when the Araïlumni herself strode forward to do personal battle, changing into a twelve-foot tall tiger in an impressive display of divine magics. This tiger-form lay waste to many a Patrian soldier but as horse archers filled it with arrows and Patrian soldiers surrounded it, the Araïlumni herself finally fell too.

Kryion is said to have cut the elf’s head from its body, placed it in a clay amphorae full of salt and oil and have sent it back to Soqed, proof of his victory and a gift to his governor.

Soon after the battle at titan’s rest (as it became known), those faeries, elves and Pilsetans that had not fled the woods began to suffer horrible nightmares, the work of Mammon’s priest. These haunted them and drove many to insanity or despair. A great exodus followed as the elves fled northwards, scattered and defeated. Some fled to the Achatin, asking that they provide them with protection. Some fled to the Sjykalfar, asking clemency of the elven princess.

Araïlumni killed. Tear willow destroyed. Patrians gain life mana node. Sjykalfar gain 1 population to each of two rural improvements of their choice and ‘Tear Willow Refugees’ building (-2 food, -1 gold, -1 hammer) (if they choose to accept the refugees). Achatin gain cosmopolitan (elves), 1 population to each of two rural improvements of their choice and ‘Tear Willow Refugees’ building (if they choose to accept the refugees).

Pilsetans Challenge Sjykalfar for Death Mana Node Once Again

The source of Sjykalfar power is the their western death mana node. The node lies on the shared border of the Sjykalfar and the Pilsetans. For the Sjykalfar, it is the beating heart of their magic power. Without it, they would most likely die to Pilsetan traditional military might within months. It is worth defending. For the Pilsetans, it is the beating heart of Sjykalfar magic power… one they wished to put a spear through.

After the last great battle, both nations enacted massive training programs to retrain their armies, drawing apun a wellspring of commercial wealth to pay for training and materials wealth to replace weapons and armour. The Pilsetans paid the price and their armies, retrained and re-equipped were once again ready to take to the battlefield. For the Sjykalfar however, the raids of both the enemy marines and the treachery of the Achatin soldiers under Cleon Pathos had reduced their capacity to raise funds or materials and so while some units were retrained and re-equipped, others were sent back to the battlefield continuing to suffer from heavy attrition. The Sjykalfar war-machine was faltering.

For the Pilsetans, the reclusive mage Farsk drew upon his knowledge of air magics to enchant and ensorcel his soldiers while he himself remained far from the battlefield. For the Sjykalfar, Princess Anabella would personally see to the leadership of her forces, protected from the lion tribe general by the loyal Rasmus Svigard and his elite bodyguard. Back at the elven palace, the Riai council were beginning to recognize that they would have to provide more permanent leadership in domestic governance and were organizing themselves to do so.

The Sjykalfar force that lined up to defend the death magic node at what the two nations hoped to make the last great battle of a long and expensive war consisted of two units of Sword and Shield bearing light infantry and two units of Javelin Skirmishers, one of which remained undermanned. Scouts provided intelligence regarding enemy movements and formations. As Princess Anabella had learned much regarding martial combat and strategy, she had become a greater general. Similarly, her forces were veterans now and handled themselves with discipline and bravery, knowing that once again they would probably face a larger, better-equipped army fighting with more advanced tactics and battle-styles.

Meanwhile, the Pilsetans, led by the glory-seeking Lion tribe general, consists of two units of light formation spear infantry and three units of light bow and sword missile infantry. Like the Sjykalfar, a unit of scouts provides intelligence regarding enemy movements and location. Leadership and training is superior amongst these soldier then amongst the elves. Units are organized into three divisions, each led by a Katuza. The entire units are led by a Teriza, products of recent military reforms. Battle experience is comparable. Meanwhile, the Pilsetans also send a unit of javelin skirmishers with a scout escort along Loon river aboard two units of galleys. These units are again tasked with intercepting enemy logistics behind the main battle-line.

As the Pilsetans approach, they realize Sjykalfar have chosen not to wait for them on the high ground where battle had been done before. Instead, they await at a forward position in deeper forests. Against the archer-heavy Pilsetans, combat in cover-providing forest provides greater advantage then does high ground. The Pilsetans stop nearly 300 yards from the enemy and begin to draw their bows. Anabella cringes; she has heard of the enemy’s air-mana ensorcelled seeking arrows. She is right to cringe. The enemy begins to unleash the swimming, enchanted arrow storm it has used before. Anabella must charge and this she does. As the arrows swim through the trees bending around twigs and branches, many are able to reach their targets without striking at intervening cover. Round after round decimates the lightly armored elven forces though the forests do provide some rudimentary cover. As the elves finally reach javelin-range, their forces already suffering nearly 1 in 5 attrition, they launch their own counter-volley. The javelins fly high, arcing through the air and as the fall upon the Pilsetans are deflected harmlessly to the ground by air-mana enchantments. A second javelin-volley experiences the same fate. As the elven swordsmen charge the Pilsetan spear line and the Pilsetan archers reform behind the protective spearmen, Anabella weaves the necromantic magics she is famous for. The sun seems to dim momentarily and eleven wraiths rise from the ground at the left flank of the Pilsetan spearmen. These creatures, similar to what the Pilsetans faced before, fight with unnatural bone-chilling cold and a supernatural fear. Most blades only scatter a few motes of death mana as they pass through the creatures and so they carve a thick path through the Pilsetan left flank. The casting triggers the last of the Pilsetan enchantments. Reserve missile infantry and the lion tribe general’s bodyguard suddenly take to the air, flying over the central mêlée and begin to rain arrows from above upon the central elven command. Rasmus Svigard and the elite elven bodyguard draw their wands and begin to fling minor death magics at the flying enemy force even as Anabella throws a smoking globe of death mana into their midst. The spell bursts with an awful hallow ‘pop’ and scores of flying archers suddenly drop from the sky, their bodies twisted into dried out husks by the necromantic magics. The flying archer withdraw momentarily, reforming their ranks as best they can. Anabella commands both her javelin skirmishers to strike hard at the enemy’s left flank, calling upon another eleven wraiths to target that flank as she does. With the assistance of the wraiths and javelin-skirmishers, it looks as though the elves will soon turn their right flank. Meanwhile their own left flank looks like it might soon collapse as the enemy spearmen hold a very tight line against the elven swordsmen and the Pilsetan missile infantry extend the flank to send their arrows, at very short range, into the shield side of the elven infantry. Desperate to maintain the flank, Anabella summons the last of her death mana to summon more wraiths, these to support her crumbling left flank. As she does, her attention divided, the enemy general tears through the sky, throwing a javelin with all her might at the elven monarch. A flick of Rasmus’s wand and the javelin crumbles in mid-flight. The lion-tribe general attempts to alight amongst the elven elite bodyguard and immediately a much smaller globe of smoking death mana bursts upon her leg. It shrivels and dries, the muscles withering and collapsing. The lion tribe general withdraws in the face of Rasmus’s protective arcana.

While the Pilsetan left flank is under heavy pressure, the center is holding well, the formation spear slowly working its way through the elven swordsmen. The Pilsetan right has been forced to redirect its attention to the summoned wraiths but suffers little pressure from the elven forces while it does so and will soon be able to rediret its attention at the elven forces directly. Meanwhile, above the elven line, the flying Pilsetan missile infantry continues to rain arrows down on the elven forces, focusing on the elven right flank and the summoned wraiths.

One by one the summoned wraiths are dispersed back to the beyond. The elven left flank finally crumbles and collapses and soon the center goes with it. The elves begin to rout and finally turn and run. Only their right flank is able to withdraw in an orderly manner as the remnants of the wraith summons continues to fight the beleaguered Pilsetan left flank.

Princess Anabella is defeated today.

Within a month, the Riai realize that the worst has happened as they feel their link to the death mana of Errovus suddenly severed. There will be no more necromancy for the Sjykalfar.

Meanwhile, Pilsetan galleys are spotted on Loon river. Is there worse to come?

Sjykalfar sword and shield damaged (x2). Sjykalfar javelin-skirmisher gains experience. Sjykalfar death mana node destroyed. Pilsetan formation spear damaged (x2). Formation spear gain experience (x2). Light missile infantry destroyed. Light missile infantry damaged. Light missile infantry gain experience (x2).

Throal Marines Land in Pilseta

As Pilsetan soldiers celebrate their victory and work furiously to unravel the mana node woven by Sjykalfar sorcerers, they remain unaware of the threat approaching their coasts from the north-west. Throal has been busy furiously building the infrastructure it needs to train sailors and marines and the docks it needs to launch a navy. Very soon however, they complete a navy large enough to ferry a modest army across the bay and land it in the eastern forests, in Pilseta proper.

The first to learn of the incoming navy are Pilsetan fisherwomen of the Salmon tribe. At first the tales are met with derision. Throal is a distant nation, landlocked and of no consequence to the Pilsetans.

Pilsetans of the Salmon tribe continue to ply their trade, unaware of the incoming danger.

Derision soon turns to belief, then panic as the dwarven triremes row their way through Pilsetan fishing boats and disgorge infantry, crossbowmen, dog-handlers, engineers, and priests directly into the center of the Pilsetan township. A very brief meeting between the commander of the dwarves, the aging troll, Captain Vivane, and the Heron tribe council results in an almost immediate surrender of the undefended city to the dwarves.

Throal demands that Pilseta cuts all her trade and military cooperation with the humans of Patria and that she sign peace agreements with the Sjykalfar favorable to the elves. Pilseta buys what time she can, sending messengers to the Lion tribe general and her forces and to her allies amongst Patria.

Throal is patient. Captain Vivane agrees to wait and orders her soldiers to assist her priests and engineers in raising defensive positions within the Pilsetan city. The Heron tribe councilor as well as the heads of the dragonfly, salmon, boar, and monkey tribes are all additionally relocated to her capital ship offshore, presumably to act as hostages for any further negotiation.

Retreating Tear Willow Elves Arrive In Achatin Bearing Skeletons of Fallen Achatin Soldiers

While the Pilsetans and Sjykalfar busy themselves with their mutual destruction, Tear Willow elves pay their lands a small visit. Stopping briefly in their escape from the Patrians at the Pilsetan air mana node, they take the time to recover as many gnomish and dwarven bodies as they can carry, taking them with them in their exodus to the Achatin.

When the elves arrive amongst the gnomes and dwarves of Achatin, they return the bodies to their benefactor Sharad who immediately provides orders the priesthood to engage in a series of holy cleansing rituals. Finally the bodies are buried in Mount Achat, holy site for the Achatin people.

A new plaque in added to the city’s monument. It reads,
Peace to each manly soul that sleepeth;
Rest to each faithful eye that weepeth…”​

The plaque is said to have brought tears to many a widow or orphan’s eye and Sharad’s recent unpopularity disappears as if it never occurred. Cleon Pathos is said to have been particularly vocal in his support of the despot, allaying much of the fears and frustrations of the common people.

Monument produces an additional culture.

Mammonite Partnership to Lo’kyl Clan Identified by Quick-Thinking Bald'r Queen

Amongst the trolls of the Scions of Twlight, the division between Lo’kyl and the ruling Bald'r clans grows larger and larger as allegations of treachery and espionage escalates. Queen Sjörå suspects the Lo’kyl received some assistance in the construction of their shadow mana node and turns this potential threat into a tool by training her own unit of shadow adepts. These adepts, frankly quite poor magicians by any standard, are barely able to weave a concealing veil over troll scouts that Queen Sjörå assigns to determining the benefactors of the Lo’kyl clan. Their veil does not last long and the scouts are only barely able to infiltrate the very fringes of the rival clan’s longhouses but they do learn that the Lo’Kyl have been in contact with Mammonites. Whether these are Palitante, Patrian or other, they are unable to determine. What is clear is that foreigners are surely involved.

Meanwhile, efforts to uncover enemy spies via pass-phrases and decoys or to use the merchant advisors to uncover suspicious cargo prove unsuccessful.

Scouts gain 1 experience.

Utilicans Uncover Haunted City

The divine emperor orders his navy and a unit of scouts to explore the island chain just east of their island. These soon provide a very surprising find, knowledge of which quickly spreads throughout the population as the popular imagination is lit with the implications of the finding. On the central island of the chain the Utilican navy finds a beautiful city carved almost entirely of black-veined marble and highly glossed basalt. The city is not in ruin. The city is not overgrown with vegetation. The city is entirely empty of any people… and yet it is not without some sort of life.

Scouts land ashore on the small island and explore the city. They report hearing voices, sounds, the vibrant noises of a bustling city, whispered, as if from a distance… and yet… see no one. Straining their ears they hear merchants haggling in an empty plaza. At empty docks they hear fishermen calling to one another as if from a great distance. The city center is dedicated to a grand library or perhaps a temple and yet it is empty also. Within there are no books, no religious iconography, no further clues… until the scouts reach the alter and there they see a pair of figures, shadowy, indistinct but identifiable none-the-less. They are some shadowy mystical representation of Gyra and Basium, the angels of Arawn, spellcraft perhaps, but holy regardless. They guard a huge tomb bound in black and white that lies upon the alter. The scouts dare not approach further but peering from a distance they can see that Patrian script flows both down the pages as it normally does and in the reverse orientation, flowing from bottom to top. From what they are able to understand, it is the words of the archmage Laroth and they describe the city, which the tomb refers to as the ‘hidden city’ and the ‘great migration’ which Laroth had planned for its people. The scouts can read only the one page but they memorize the contents and soon most of Utilica can recite the words. Popular imagination is afire with rumors of the ‘haunted city’

Effects dependent on Utilican actions.

Kraz-Ke-Mekans Uncover Desert Ruins

Kraz merchants devise an organized method to systematically gather the incense-producing plants of the nearby desserts, sending out numerous small parties of gatherers into the desert wastes with maps of oasis and plant locations. The plan soon results in a steady trickle of incense arriving at the stalls of the Kraz carnival but it also results in rumors. There are ruins amongst the desert.

Kraz incense gatherers uncover desert ruins.

Finally government officials send scouts to determine the truth of the matter. They quickly confirm the rumors. There are strange ruins amongst the desert wastes.

No effect (yet).

Population Booms Amongst Palitante in Response to Long-Awaited Peace

The Palitante have long been at war with the Hippus undead. No living man (save the seemingly immortal leadership and their sycophantic followers) can remember a time when the Palitante have been at peace. And now that the peace has come and the soldiers have returned to their homes, there is much rejoicing.

Racial growth rate reduced by 0.2 for 2 turns. Frightened villagers ‘improvement’ removed.

Update 9: Years 1155- 1160: Superpowers Awaken, Trade Flourishes, Magic Changes Daily Lives (part 2)

Kharkush ‘Strongest Son’ Explores Dwarven Kaer

The Strongest Son has perhaps learned from his ancestors for instead of throwing himself forcefully against the gates of the locked dwarven kaer and its many traps, he make use of his mind as well. One of the things he does is hire adventurers to assist in the exploration of the kaer. Scholars are dedicated to unraveling magical and mundane traps. A citizen workforce and tools are provided to the task to build specialized equipment meant to safety trigger traps from a distance. And finally, an entire herd of cattle is utilized to ‘test’ hallways and caverns.

Kharkush hire international adventurers to assist in the exploration of the dwarven kaer.

The traps are extensive and the walls are thick but the horrors have already breached the kaer and the path is open for the Strongest Son and his loyal soldiers. After seeing cattle poisoned, cleaved, exploded or mesmerized and after losing a brave Achatin rogue adventurer who tried to pick a lock and was poisoned for his efforts, the Kharkush are finally able to reach the interior of the kaer. The center of the kaer is a waste of skeletal bodies; evidence of extreme violence amongst the underground streets if obvious. There are signs of a great civil war between dwarven soldiers, of ritualized cannibalism, including of one-self, used in conjunction with worship of Ceridwen. There is evidence of some tentacled monstrosity having taken command of the city and forcing its inhabitants into depravity and cruelty. The spirit staff almost humms with the spiritual taint of the kaer.

Of interest to the Kharkush is a fully functional agricultural cavern. Automated magics continue to plant seeds, grow barley, maize and beans, harvest them and stack them. As the Strongest Son watches, golem-like artifacts stride through fields of corn, gently pulling corn ears from stalks and piling them in a large cavern full of dust and dried husks of ancient beans and corn. Above the scene a magical sun shines bright and even as the soldiers watch, a magical rain falls upon the crops.

While the ancestors of the Kharkush spoke of such magics within their own kaer, the magics began to fail long ago. For these to remain strong implies an alternative mechanism of operation, one beyond the ken of the Son and his soldiers.

Effects dependent on actions taken.

Nozkam Legon Dig up Graves, Move Bodies to Central Crypt

All throughout the Nozkam lands, bodies from scores of small and large cemeteries are dug up and transported to a newly constructed crypt dedicated to keeping the dead in peace. The project is a large one and many a mourning individual sees the government action as an infringement upon their faith and their personal life but the government takes a strong hand, explaining that the ghouls must be eradicated, that their feeding upon the dead is a greater threat to the peace of the dead then moving them once.

The Nozkam Legon Crypt: Nearly Endless Subterrean Halls and Graves- a testament to Nozkam crafting and excavation skills

And so the vast majority of dead troll and dwarven bodies are moved to the central crypt and shortly thereafter the ghoul attacks cease. Within a few months several individuals, never thought to have been ghouls or associated with the despicable cannibalistic process disappear into the night. They must go elsewhere for here their source of food has disappeared.

Nozkam Legon lose ‘terrorizing ghoul raids’ ‘improvement’.

Tabba Ghut Hold ‘Marathon of Trolls’

The Tabba Ghut continue their tradition of holding grand, well-funded festivities, this time celebrating a ‘marathon of trolls’. The marathon coincides with the grand opening of the temple of Aeron and Sorgu Soruşturma and his fellows make a great deal of the association between the two occurrences though the association is not so evident for everyone else.

This time the competition between trolls focuses on tasks that require cooperation and teamwork.

Spoiler :

Team work!
Spoiler :
Sorry- I am the father of a two year old who loves this show and I thought it was funny- probably only for me but that’s okay.

Despite their recent isolationist stance, the ‘independent-minded mining village’ and its leadership, Ukran the Thinker sends representatives to partake in the ‘marathon’ and despite attempts by Soruşturma to goad the libertarian into confrontation, their involvement is without incident. Afterwards Mogag and Ukran are seen in close conversation and afterwards Ukran is seen more and more in the presence of the Tabba Ghut ruler’s council. Some suggest that some reconciliation has occurred.

Tabba Ghut gain ‘Ukran the Thinker’ as a leader but will lose him if they enact any form of inquisitional or forced religious activity. Soruşturma suggests performing an inquisition into the dedication of Ukran the Thinker and his people.

Kraz-Ke-Meka Undergo Religious Revival

Recent efforts by the grand engineer Mchzha dhes-Chreska-Phavia to understand the new faith of the Airdriash'Mechzius results in a public appearance and the declaration that the tenants of the emerging faith are perfectly compatible with the existing Dhzrem’Zhia. This leads to a sort of religious revival as the population begins to consider the ‘Tales of the Machine’ more then just a cultural and intellectual curiosity, but a central tenant of their faith.

Quite unexpectedly, many of the golems begin to frequent the religious ceremonies of the Mchzha dhes-Chreska-Phavia. Most assume they are being ordered there by their masters to ensure peace and prevent social disturbance. Others are not so sure.

Are the golems being directed to the ceremonies of the Mchzha dhes-Chreska-Phavia? Or are they… no… surely not… Right?

Tales of the Machine ‘improvement’ loses its -1 piety effect. Golems gain 1 experience.

News Quickly

_____Scions of Twlight Construct Hall of the Codex_____

_____Scions of Twlight Continue to Provide Assistance to the Asgalfar_____

_____Uld’ar Continue to Provide Assistance to the Bicomis_____

_____Minor Rat Attacks Continue Unabated Throughout Throal, Uld’ar_____

_____Shadowy Death Cult Prospers Amongst Pilsetans, Achatin_____

_____Utilicans Train Night-Guards to Defend Against Slavers_____

_____Kraz-Ke-Mekans Develop Enchantment Mana_____

_____Second Daugter Arrises Amongst the Kharkush to Lead Amakush Acolytes_____

_____Hippus Undead Send First of Reparation Payments as Scheduled_____​

NPC Diplo:

Throal: Pilseta, surrender your soldiers to our authority while we negotiate a peace.

Patria: Sjykalfar, bow to our might. Our soldiers approach your border and bring the tools to defeat your wretched necromancy.

Throal and Patria: You meddling nuisance, stay out of this.

Patria: Jinx!

To Throal
From Heron Council Head

What kind of authority and what kind of peace? Peace to a war you started against us? We call a truce if your army retreat to your ships and ours stay at the node. If negociations fail, I cannot acount for what the Lion Council Head shall do.

From Lion Council Head
I have two legs, the loss of one is but a minor concern. The news that if negociations fail, I shall return to fight with you should bring fear into your heart, if you have any.

Well I certainly wasn't expecting to find that.

Top Bottom