Immersive movement cost for terrain

kryat

King
I think that deserts, tundra, and snow are too easy to cross right now. Historically, deserts especially created significant barriers to travel. Maybe a more immerse way to solve this would be to increase the movement cost into these types of tiles to 5, and gradually decrease the cost with the tech tree. Trade routes could still be sent over these terrain tiles, so roads would be the only viable way of traveling through these hazards at the beginning of the game.

Interesting idea... What would be the implications though?

A movement cost of 5 is the same as a movement cost of 2 to anything moving on foot, so they would act like forests.
There'd be less arctic exploration in the early game, meaning more barbarians/goody huts lying around for later
Don't think it would do much to deserts, they don't come in as big blobs as snow/tundra

Interesting idea... What would be the implications though?

A movement cost of 5 is the same as a movement cost of 2 to anything moving on foot, so they would act like forests.
There'd be less arctic exploration in the early game, meaning more barbarians/goody huts lying around for later
Don't think it would do much to deserts, they don't come in as big blobs as snow/tundra
I picked movement cost 5 because my intention was for it to be impossible to explore with land units. You’re right though, in practice, the game would probably let units move through each. Deserts sometimes come in blobs, but not always. Mostly, I wanted deserts and snow to be obstacles that acted like mountains, but passable with roads in the early game. I’m also a big fan of the ideas of tunnels for mountains in the late game.

Top Bottom