Immigration from tourism

Wolffleet

Chieftain
Hi I quite enjoy tall play and was trying to brainstorm a way to achieve truly huge cities/population in a historical "accurate" way. The idea is that cities in a trade route have a chance to attract the opposing cities population.

So in the case of two cities A and B which share a trade route. I was thinking something like
City A: tourism/City B: culture is the percent chance every turn that a citizen from City B goes to City A.

Unfortunately I don't know sql so can't test it out. Obviously it needs more distinctions like only affect cities with pop>1. Interested in hearing what others think about when implementing immigration.

I don't know how to mod it specifically, but I was hoping that this would be a thing that they added officially like in another expansion.

I would also make it to where even more immigrants can come whenever you build a harbor, seaport, airport respectively.
Maybe even immigration can go down the more advanced your walls become.

There could also be a separate lens to show the citizens and where they are from. Cities with more immigrants are also more likely to influence and have citizens visit their old cities/cultures. I think this is what you implied.

Ah Yes! I would love for ethnicity to be added to this game. The emergent gameplay that entails would be sweet. For example, it would be super cool if your city attracted lots of population from a nearby civ then you hit a dark age and those foreign citizens made your city flip sides.

I feel like civ is really missing what makes human societies so unique and interesting, the distinct quirks and attitudes of every individual member and how they affect the larger society. I think Jon Shaher at the Gates had a super interesting take on making the citizens feel unique with their clan system. In Civ 6 each citizen could be a unique entity containing an ethnicity, religion, and perhaps other qualities like mood. These citizens and their interactions could then have tons of interesting emergent gameplay affects. For example, if your empire contains citizens with the peace-loving trait, and you declare war on an empire, then each peace-loving citizen could provide -1 loyalty/amenities. If your citizens are followers of Christianity and you attack another civilization following Christianity then those peace-loving Christain citizens would each give -2 loyalty/amenities.

Top Bottom