Immortal Blitzkrieg Dilemma

smallfish

Immortal
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Should I go in with just Riflemen and Cannons, or wait until Artillery? I dunno about signing RAs, the whole world except funnily enough Germany is hostile or guarded towards me for killing 2 city-states in between me and Mongolia. I could get a DOWed at the drop of a hat, which would be annoying but less so than having Genghis Khan on my doorsteps here.

(and yes this is on Standard)

(Genghis Khan entered the Renaissance sometime between 10-15 turns ago IIRC)

So what do ya'll say? Jump into the fray before Genghis here gets cavalry and cannons of his own?

Seeing what Genghis' state of the art troops are, go. You've got str26 rifles pitted against str10 pikes, str11 swords and Keshiks he won't use properly.

I lost three Riflemen and two workers (poor bait), and would have lost all my melee units if I hadn't pushed aggressively with my cannons.

The first ten turns or so was entirely defensive - got Genghis to come towards my fortified cannons and riflemen, saw him trying to swim his Keshiks to my side where a nice line of two cannons were waiting for him. And food for my turtles too.

Then I spotted him fielding his first series of Longswords, and I just pushed everybody into Karakorum.

The Keshiks were hell though - until I pillaged the only horse tile Mongolia had.:D

I lost three Riflemen and two workers (poor bait), and would have lost all my melee units if I hadn't pushed aggressively with my cannons.

The first ten turns or so was entirely defensive - got Genghis to come towards my fortified cannons and riflemen, saw him trying to swim his Keshiks to my side where a nice line of two cannons were waiting for him. And food for my turtles too.

Then I spotted him fielding his first series of Longswords, and I just pushed everybody into Karakorum.

The Keshiks were hell though - until I pillaged the only horse tile Mongolia had.:D

Pillaging unit-critical resources is always at the top of my list. It not only reduces the efficiency of the existing units, it prevents new ones from being built.

If I suspect that war is imminent I also look over the CS to see if any of the potential opponent's allies may be supplying resources and, if I have the cash, I bribe them away.

It seems I haven't fully mastered the secrets to getting Stealth Bombers by Turn 200.

This game as it is is a yawn. Okay, I was stepping down from Deity, but still, its just... underwhelming.

Feels like playing at Emperor, even though this was Immortal Standard.

Pillaging unit-critical resources is always at the top of my list. It not only reduces the efficiency of the existing units, it prevents new ones from being built.

Indeed, later on when I was engaged in a hundreds year war with Washington, I did the same with an Oil tile he had. For quite sometime afterwards, my frigates were spared from his little air force.

binhthuy71 said:
If I suspect that war is imminent I also look over the CS to see if any of the potential opponent's allies may be supplying resources and, if I have the cash, I bribe them away.

Not much in the way of CS allies this game; it was Domination-only. Which may explain why I was able to get away with several things (wonderspamming, for one).

The AIs did love to gobble up city-states though, and it quickly devolved into a vicious cycle of denouncements and warmongering.

I always feel that if I'm not being denounced then I have to step up my gameplay.

Well, this game I haven't been denounced yet... but oh boy soon. So soon.

Have I ever mentioned that looking at your bpt makes my eyes hurt? :p :lol:

I think this current game I have was hurt by 1) not playing Korea 2) Opening Tradition before finishing Liberty 3) the complacency of starting on an "isolated" continent 4) somebody (China) actually beat me to the Great Library on Turn 30+

Funnily enough, the biggest runaway ever didn't even rely on GL or PT to blast tech into Modern Age before Turn 300

well...

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

If this runaway continues his rampage, I fear this may be the first Continents game where a Runaway AI dominates everybody, even the ones on another continent.

Also, yeah, my science rate was terribly atrocious, even though I went for a one city NC rush (after GL fail)

That's why you don't go for GL on immortal. :rolleyes:

I was trying to do a wainy! Honest!:p

But indeed, start location was extremely poor for wood chopping outside of those jungle tiles, and they were too valuable to be chopped down.

I'm going to try a bold and audacious plan to carry through this domination frenzy. It's extremely ludicrous, he might even buy uraniums from Wu or Pachacuti, I don't have any Stealth that is Logistics yet (but this will no doubt prove to be a farming session) or a navy to match his... but I'm going to conquer the other runaway on his own isolated continent: Suleiman.

That's right, I'm going to solve my own immediate runaway problems... by conquering another runaway!

e: the Ottomans are just asking for it anyway

Spoiler :

Stealth Bombers are an awesome substitute for submarine wolfpacks.

They just are. Don't have Logistics SBs off the bat because no Brandenburg Gate or didn't finish Autocracy in time? No problem - find your neighboring continental runaway, bait him with a couple scout-n-scoot destroyers, pick off his units and cities for XP.

Spoiler :

The only thing I'm worried now is Pachacuti. He has gone completely neutral (covets your land mode, believes you a warmongering menace yadda yadda).

Spoiler :

At the same time that city of his where Portsmouth should be is getting repeatedly nuked by the Chinese lol

I mean, I could transfer all my upgraded SBs to here:

Spoiler :

Suleiman still has a navy though, and I'm not sure 8 Logistics SBs is enough to blitz through Ottomans before Incan DOW, but I'll give it the ol' college try.

Have to work fast, clock ticking.

edit: turns out despite being on a landmass away, Suleiman still covets my lands. Funnily enough, only Wu and Mongolia aren't doing that, but they have bigger fishes to fry I guess.

Just wow... I have played CiV for almost 1000 hours now, and it still amazes me just how much of a difference 10 upgraded SBs can make on an entire runaway continent.

Spoiler :

I must agree, but this is a game

Suleiman seemed to have the right idea on defending against me at first

Spoiler :

But he never caught up to me.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Dude practically went from one of the top 3 largest armies of the world to zero save a few useless ships, in the span of a dozen turns.

Spoiler :

British KIA: 1 Infantry, 1 Modern Armor, 2 Battleships, 3 Destroyers
Ottoman KIA: Their Entire Military

I'm going to try it with the one who has all of the uraniums. Certainly need to keep my SB stack out of range of those nuclear missiles Pachacuti (and Wu) are spamming at each other.

Spoiler :

I'm content to let them continue their little nukefest, so long as it keeps Pachacuti away from my core cities.

Anyways, this seems like a nice spot to strike through...

Spoiler :

I'm probably going to built more destroyers, subs and battleships, and some units other than my two offensive Modern Armor. I rather have a setpiece D-Day-from-the-back than something... cheesy as hell. Okay, it'll be just as cheesy given the size of the runaway, but at least I'll have a decent force to fallback on in case things go pear shape (with nukes).

How do I get Pachacuti to DOW me?

Thus far I've denounced him, told him not to settle my lands, made demands out of him... and he still won't DOW me at all. Compared to many turns ago when I DOWed the Suleiman, and watched Incans massing their troops at my coastal borders...

Just how many ai left on the map? Do you still need to be diplomaticly peaceful? Or do you still needs RA partners? I do think that you don't need them now, just sign secrecy with wu, then DOW pachy.
If you still needs good relationship with lesser civ, just give them some unused lux.

Just how many ai left on the map? Do you still need to be diplomaticly peaceful? Or do you still needs RA partners? I do think that you don't need them now, just sign secrecy with wu, then DOW pachy.
If you still needs good relationship with lesser civ, just give them some unused lux.

Outside of Harald, who is friendly as ever (even signed DoF and RA with him while I was finishing off the Ottomans), everyone is hostile or guarded towards me... or in Pachacuti's case. Neutral. Which is not a good thing, but I don't care about that now that the advantage is somewhat mine.

Only merry ole England (me), China, Mongolia, rump Danes (I gifted them a spam-city I personally settled before they fell) and the superpower Incans.

I figure I could discuss it with Harald when I'm ready, but I doubt he is willing given the poor shape he is in...

edit: Wu is currently at war with Pachacuti. They've been going at it for over a hundred years now.

How do I get Pachacuti to DOW me?

Thus far I've denounced him, told him not to settle my lands, made demands out of him... and he still won't DOW me at all. Compared to many turns ago when I DOWed the Suleiman, and watched Incans massing their troops at my coastal borders...

If possible, you could throw a bit more fuel on the fire by bribing away one of his allied CS. The only other really strong provocation I can think of would be to culture bomb him along your border with Nasca. That's a long shot because it depends on having a GA or popping one in the next few turns.

If you make it to SB's you need... ehm... nothing. :D I mean aside from 8 aluminum tile.

If possible, you could throw a bit more fuel on the fire by bribing away one of his allied CS. The only other really strong provocation I can think of would be to culture bomb him along your border with Nasca. That's a long shot because it depends on having a GA or popping one in the next few turns.

Well, outside of a CS he befriended early game (on my island, Venice, that I quickly took out), there were none.

His weakness was my opportunity, however.:D

Spoiler :

Top Bottom