1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

immortal byzantines -fastest victory challange

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by nishant1911, Jan 15, 2011.

1. nishant1911

nishant1911 *hugs*

welcome everyone to this new challenge i prepared!
    and i do mean everyone (well almost), as the map should be about as hard as emperor.

map settings-
    large ,pangea, everything else standard
    huts and events on
    Spoiler :
    i forgot to turn them off, realised it much later:sad:

starting location

yeah its tempered:cool:

while winning the map itself isn't hard the player's aim is to finish it as quickly as possible!
    players can win by any victory except diplomatic.

do post your finish dates if you play this!
    you can play the challenge again and post a better date if you like!
    good luck:)

save

Attached Files:

2. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Thankfully you posted this rule, or else this would turn into an AP spam thread XD.

I can't picture anything other than domination or conquest taking the best time.

Edit: That's one crazy (and definitely cooked to a sugary taste) start :p.

3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Well, I'm known for neither micro nor early finishes, preferring modern warfare...

But I figured I'd throw a game up here anyway lacking other things to do.

1605 AD conquest

Spoiler :

I figured super cookie cutter renaissance to be the first era I could use to sweep the whole map. I settler spammed onto the really nice land, farmed/mined whatever wasn't specials, and then hammered/whipped cuirassers and cavalry (sold tech to insta upgrade around 15 cuirassers to cavs and kept building cavs). I actually got beaten to great library and didn't even try for mids but oh well. A little bit of capitulation abuse and I win anyway.

Victoria and Ragnar each backstabbed me while fighting in the eastern side of the map. This backfired for both, but especially vicky as I inflicted such heavy losses on her inbound stack that despite having cavalry vs redcoats she capped...I barely fought in her land at all.

Actually very much of this win was predicated on taking full abuse of the lame, stupid, and broken cap mechanics :devil:. Suck an eye, AI!

4. nishant1911

nishant1911 *hugs*

2 hours :eek:

awesome game TMIT

5. huerfanista

huerfanista Emperor

Thru 475AD:

Spoiler :

I went for the cataphract gambit, building the oracle in city2, taking MC, chop/whip a forge in the capital, run an engineer, build the mids and HG there for pure GE gpps. Popped the engineer, rushed machinery, self-researched feudalism and got guilds around 175AD. I upgraded some HAs while building more, also got a GM who's sitting in Cuzco for a TM. While I was getting to guilds I also built the Colossus and GLH (hence the GM in Thessalonika), and the MoM. I've got another GE who'll bulb engineering next turn, then I'll run the TM for 1100:gold: and upgrade the rest of my HAs. I joined a dogpile on Hattie and capped her after 2 cities:

Everyone's buddhist except Darius, Washington, and Hattie. Vicky built the AP, and she seems to be doing pretty good (already has engineering). HC passaled to her, he only has 3 cities, but the buddhist holy city looks awful nice. I'm trying to decide on a target ATM - Vicky/HC would be the highest risk/reward, or I could got for one of the heathens. Joao got a bit boxed in, he's the AP res but would probably be pretty easy to take down, as would Wash.

6. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

Well that was fun.

edit: :lol: I just realized that the goal was fastest victory date, not fastest time...

Spoiler :

I triggered domination by 1.9% when I took my last vassal.

Barely beating TMIT's split:

I microed my workers for the first few cities but had them all automated by 1AD or so (at which point my bpt was around 250 or so with break even). This land was cooked a bit too much, I think.

A few more graphs:

7. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Oooof, completely shown up even in time played, nicely down shyuhe

8. michmbk

michmbk Emperor

1575 AD, so between nishant & TMIT on earliest finish, but I didn't do nearly as well on time as it took me a little longer (although i did leave it running for a bit while I took a break). Need to use waypoints better as that cost me. Plus I think I had to waste more time than them taking cities, because they know the capitulation mechanics better than I do.

Spoiler :

I went with the aggressive settling approach. Huts were huge for me, as I popped mining & a scout. The scout allowed me to really see the land to the south, and as a result, I leveraged the IMP trait by getting these three settlers out fast:

From there, just pumped workers & settlers while going up aesthetics line for GL. The land was so good I was outteching everyone, even on immortal. I forgot to take screens for awhile, but after the aesthetics line, I backfilled COL, monarchy, calendar and then headed for CS & guilds. I hit guilds around 350 AD, and started massing cats.

I had the hindu bloc (Joao, Wash, darius) pleased, and everyone seemed to hate Huayna, which I used to my advantage. I watched Joao shred one of Huayna’s stacks and then I attacked him with my cats.

Took three cities from HC before Joao could get any, and got him to cap. I tried to leverage the shared border to get Vicky to cap, but it didn’t work, so I had to fight awhile with her. She had been fighting so much with Rags that she didn’t really have much of an army. She of course eventually capped to Hatty (wouldn’t cap to me), which was irritating for a few turns as I shifted my forces. I let HC fight with Vicky while my cats swarmed Hatty. She’s useless in war as an AI. Eventually, she capped and so did Vicky same turn.

The very next turn, Joao asked if he could be my vassal…perfect for this type of format. At this point, forget about tech – it’s all about quantity:

That’s one of about 6 stacks that size attacking Hannibal & Rags at once (Wash asked me to join him against Rags and I agreed, figuring that might get me a faster finish). Of course, I couldn’t get either to cap until it was too late, so I just ravaged their lands and killed both:

You can see Hanny's last city there to the left. Every city on autopilot cavalry. Tactical error though - I could have split my forces and taken down Darius/Washington while also fighting with Rags/Hanny. I really should have done that because I had way too many units for the job with Rags/Hanny. After finishing them, I sent everyone over to Darius, and after 2 cities, he capped, giving me this:

Ended up being my third highest score ever, 273k, thanks to the rigged map. Builds – mostly horsies, of course:

I think it's probably better to wait for cavalry & upgrade them - I had a few too many casualties with cuirassiers and even the 12 str cats. Frustrating because they were 9 XP out of the gate (I was in vassalage/theo/police state the last 75 or so turns).

9. oranje willem

oranje willem Prince

Took a little longer for me to play however with a very nice result if I may say so myself

Spoiler :

Started with double worker, dunno if its optimal but with very fast bronze working I think it paid off, turn 56:

I was in doubt how many cities I would make before my first attack, usually when I rush early I have 2-5 cities, now I made quite some more because it was a super super fast start anyway and there were too many good spots left to ignore.

Turn 92:After a lot of chopping/whipping I'm ready for the first attack, HC has no Iron/Copper which makes him a very nice target, I even delayed it a bit because I felt he would finish Pyramids/Shrine, but I couldn't wait too long of course:

I almost cried when this happened with very reasonable odds for me... RNG was more forgiving the rest of the game so I guess that evens it out, however in a normal game this can be the difference between winning or losing

7 turns after declaring HC is no more I even razed a decent city because England/Egyptian culture was surrounding it; it would be settled right away by Egypt 1 or 2 turns after... So I had to capture it again later :crazyeye:

I was building extra HA's during the war with HC so my army was big enough to go to the next target, Egypt, who was in a war with Hannibal which made it a very attractive target. 4 turns of healing and I was ready for the next go

My economy crashed harder than I expected, maybe I overextended a bit with the rush, but once these babies got out of revolt I was all right again :lol:.

I ignored wonders as much as possible, but I just had to get this combo :) a pre AD extended golden age, lovely with a big empire.

People started to get Longbows now, so now I started to focus on getting to guilds, unfortunately I was the only one with Buddhism so I could hardly trade techs, but I stayed Buddhism anyway to pump out critical buildings with OR. Once guilds was done it was back to massive unit pumping again and next up was England (Portugal had ivory so England seemed a better choice, but apparently she had it too as well as pikes :lol:, but she was in war with the Vikings, which made it a lot easier.

Her only good cities were mine in no time, yet she delayed capitulation quite a while

Next up was Hannibal, took a few turns to capture 2 cities and he capitulated right after that :D much better than Victoria

I slacked a bit with screenshots after this, but the most backwards of them all, the Vikings, were a pushover and only took a few turns to capitulate as well. After a long run towards the other side Portugal was next. Even though in almost permanent war, my stack got bigger and bigger and even though I headed for cavalry I noticed it wasn't needed to win.

It didn't take very long to kill the rest as longbows/pikes/elephants were the best they had to offer, but so did England a long time before :lol:

Some stats that you may find interesting as well as a very high endscore :)

Note: check the Cataphracts build :lol:

A new personal record ! :crazyeye:

10. oranje willem

oranje willem Prince

11. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

I had some time so I took another try, going for earliest date.

Spoiler :

Liberalism:

Followed by victory:

The backwards AI:

And kill count:

Note how I didn't run up against any pikes. Most of the AI either didn't get engineering or didn't have time to build castles so the cataphracts destroyed everything. I think I encountered one castle during the entire game.

12. oranje willem

oranje willem Prince

Nice, only 50 minutes of glory for me :lol: I don't think I will try again to improve, but it is surely possible to do it even faster.

13. vranasm

vranasm Deity

hmm I read all those spoilers and think if I should even try to get at least some immortal victory. Feels a little bit cheap with cooked game though ;-).

14. nishant1911

nishant1911 *hugs*

well it must have been a nice game rushing through it so quickly. :lol:

15. nishant1911

nishant1911 *hugs*

lol almost forgot my own game

860 AD conquest
    Spoiler :
    i choosed byzantine because i wanted to try out cataphract rush and their viability in large and huge maps. cataphracts are basically curraseirs without 'walls/castle ignore ability', and the fact they don't require gunpowder+MT makes them really really really good. i wonder if they are the best UU after quechas.

i tried oracle-metal casting, run engineer ,bulb machinery. while that had been the right approach in a normal game, direct oracle-machinery was better because of gems.

got guild around 100 BC ,pacal capitulated soon after

then Washington

and Hatsheput too simultaneously
    jao won't capitulate despite i did this to him

my kill ratio wasn't bad either

i capitulated the rest. victoria managed to put up quite a fight

that is her last city and still she won't capitulate

finally

16. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Deity

If you're going to dress up a map at least put some fresh water by the capitol.

I played till 1520 BC when I oracled CS. Researching my way to guilds should be a sinch.

Spoiler :

Got a scout and popped pottery from a hut:goodjob:
    Spoiler :

I did not SIP because no health and I wanted more river tiles for a burea cottage cap. To my delight there was an extra gem mine down there.
    Spoiler :

I tried to go for a forrester 2 warrior so I could steal workers from Hyuana.
    Spoiler :

Started building oracle ASAP to discourage the AI's from building it.
    Spoiler :

Didn't get to steal any workers from Hyuana but I think my DOWing him might have stopped him from building the oracle, instead he went military techs.
    Spoiler :

1560 BC Civil Service.
    Spoiler :

I also nearly got rushed by barbs about 1800. Managed to fend them off with warriors. Made peace with Hyuana for priesthood once I traded for alpha.

We'll see how it goes from there.

Here's my save View attachment nishant1911 BC-1520.CivBeyondSwordSave

17. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Deity

Despite the early CS my win was at 1080 AD. I wasted some time trying to tech rifling because I thought I would need it but turns out Cataphracts swept the game easy.

Spoiler :

I had to self tech fued because noone else had it until it was too late.
    Spoiler :

I was half thinking of doing a mace rush.
    Spoiler :

150 BC guilds. I wonder if I could have bulbed it faster.
    Spoiler :

I DOWed my first victim at 50 BC.
    Spoiler :

I pretty much rolled through 1 AI after another with mass cataphacts.
    Spoiler :

Strange I didn't hit the domination limit by now.
    Spoiler :

1080 Conquest win.
    Spoiler :

18. nishant1911

nishant1911 *hugs*

rivers don't help much in the goal here, +2 health is close to negligible.

great game BTW. its funny how oracle-CS is actually faster than getting guilds than oracle- machinery, or maybe i expanded too much for cat whipping.

19. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Deity

I just managed to get guilds by 200 BC in a non-cooked diety game. I used Gandhi for his philo trait. Oracled MC then ran 1 engineer in both my capitol and 1 other city. The result was I got 2 engineers ( + a prophet ). I used 1 to bulb a huge chunk of machinery and the other to bulb a huge chunk of guilds. You need fued but cannot have math, so skip trading for math until you bulb guilds. So it's doable with a normal start. Might even be doable with a non-philo leader.

20. vranasm

vranasm Deity

omg missed shyuhe's attempt by 2 turns!

1020 AD conquest victory.

Strategy was simple. Aim for catapharacts and then attack.

I settled 5 cities initially (then one more basically to backfill).

I took a great gamble with Oracle->MC, forge in the oracle city (I didn't have city 2 big enough and was mine mistake really), popped GE for machinery.

I selfteched basically then only currency, CS, engineering.

I got guilds by 375 BC which was pretty good. I think I made there some strategic mistakes since I went west first, then east and the east wars were tough due to WE's and big stacks.

stats and score screens
    Spoiler :