Immortal Cookbook II: Pericles of Greece

carl corey

Deity
The Immortal Cookbook is a concurrent succession game series aiming to help readers learn how to play and win at Immortal level in Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword, v3.17.

Last update:
Round 3 finished, best save is Abegweits's. Round 4 started and will finish on Dec. 7. Play is up to victory from Abegweit's save. See post#2 in this thread (below this one).

The rules of the IMC series are borrowed from the original series played on Monarch (see Monarchist Cookbook Bullpen):

1. A 4000 BC save is generated.
2. All players on the roster play one round from that save.
3. All saves are uploaded with a corresponding report in a spoiler.
4. Each player who posted a save for the round votes for 3 saves: best save receives 3 points, 2nd place 2, and 3rd place 1. You cannot vote for your own save.
5. Steps 2-4 are repeated using only the previous best save until Victory. In case of a tie players will continue from the save they chose as best among those in the tie. If a player has not voted for any of the saves in the tie, he can choose from which of them to play. If a player's save is included in the tie he can play from it if he wants to.

Settings for this game:

The game was generated with random leader & civilization (but not unrestricted leaders). Note that the speed is Normal, there are no huts and no events.

Starting position:

This is the first save I got, and it hasn't been checked for anything (metal/horses availability, isolation, etc.). The idea of the series is to win all kinds of situations, so we'll play whatever comes our way.

Roster:
- ABigCivFan
- Araneya
- RRRaskolnikov
- Jet
- Kaleb
- Abegweit
- KingMorgan
- carl corey

Rounds:
Round 0: The starting save (this post)
Round 1: 4000 BC - 1AD - we have a tie for first place between ABigCivFan & Abegweit.
Round 2: 1AD - 600AD - best save: RRRaskolnikov
Round 3: 600AD - 1200AD - best save: Abegweit
Round 4: 1200AD - victory - currently playing. Ending Dec. 7th.

Please include your username in the save name.

Attachments

• Immortal Civver II BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    41.6 KB · Views: 166
Links to the winning saves & reports for round 1:
- ABigCivFan: 4000BC-1480BC and 1480BC-1AD, save at 1AD

- Abegweit: 4000BC-1AD, save at 1AD

---------------

Links to the winning save & report for round 2:
- RRRaskolnikov: 1AD-600AD, save at 600AD

In order to see the end result of our plans for round 2 everyone is allowed to play from his own save if he wants to. Otherwise play will continue from RRRaskolnikov's save.

---------------

Links to the winning save & report for round 3:
- Abegweit: 600AD-1200AD, save at 1200AD

Round 4 from Abegweit's save to victory, play ends on Dec. 7.

Pericles? Well I already have a game with him going but he is one of my favourites. Sign me up.

Unlike gliese I don't like it @ normal :(. What can one do though? IMO we should just alternate, but that means it's time for normal anyway :p.

Capitol looks fairly sound!

I've played 63 turns. I think you're using epic speeds rather than normal speeds as turn 62 on normal corresponds to 1520 bc and turn 63 to 1480 bc.

I'll wait with posting until I'm sure we're agreed on the correct amount of turns, how about extending round 1 another 37 turns to 100 total? 63 is a bit low for round 1 I think to get any significant deviations. Whatever is fine with me though as long as everyone is on the same page.

Oops, yeah, I took the rounds from the Monarch games which are on Epic Speed. I have no idea where the round would be on Normal. I'm not sure if it's really worth it to make round 1 longer. After all, in the Emperor Cookbook we took out an AI by 1500BC. Even if that one was on Epic speed I think there's still place for diversion if we keep the round at its current length. Anyway, all input from other players on whether we should make the round longer or not is welcome. I'll also play the 63 turns tonight to see where it leaves me, and we'll make a decision after that.

How do you go about calculating in which year a certain number of turns will leave you anyway?

Hi everyone :hatsoff:,

Subscribed! (one more game yeah :lol:)
Good luck to all!

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

edit: I agree with Gliese about a 100 turns round... that way saves will have more variations and we could learn more things I think... but it's up to you Carl!

100 turn rounds on normal means it'll only be 2-3 rounds though...

100 turn rounds on monarch means it'll only be 2-3 rounds though...

you mean normal instead of monarch no? We could reduce the length of rounds after the first one...

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

I'll try this one !

Pericles is the leader I wish I can play successfully : phi / cre + odeon + invincible axeman looks like a very strong early combo to me, yet all the immo game I tried with him ended to be miserable failures !

I'd like to give this a bash too, first time I'll have tried a succession game :)

Well, it's not a classic succession game, as instead of the players taking turns we're each playing on our own. Of course you're still welcome to play. :D

oyzar, are you signing up for this?

By the way, the number of people in the roster will not be limited for this game. But the roster will be fixed at the end of the first round of playing (and before the votes, of course).

Pericles? Well I already have a game with him going but he is one of my favourites. Sign me up.

Ah, drat, I missed the fact that it was your online Deity game that was with Pericles! I wasn't going to take into account offline games (couldn't even if I wanted to since I didn't know the roster), but I was thinking I'd restart if I hit any of the leaders/civs currently involved in the "main" games in the Strategy & Tips forum. Somehow I missed yours. :blush:

@Carl: the start is very nice (food +philo...) but feel free to restart with another leader (regarding Gliese Deity game)...

Cheers,

Raskolnikov

edit: Gliese has already played... don't bother with this then

Yeah, by the time I realized what game he was talking about he had already played his round. We'll play from this save, but I'll try to take better care for the next rounds.

The start being so nice* actually makes me fear we're isolated! :lol: But one of my goals is to learn to play isolated starts too, I'm not very good of those. I should try my hand at some LHC challenges sometime...

*floodplains+ :food: resource, :) resource improvable with the starting techs, lots of rivers, riverside plains hills... wow...

I was in mood for some quick screwing up so... i did it.:lol:

Spoiler :

i managed magnificantly displace cities while forgetting to tech wheel before having three cities. Also I got used to epic so timing was awfully of time.

I started mowing 2E. (yeah loads of food and -2 hills). Sharing floodplains idea.:lol: If you look at where Sparta is you see i managed to waste at least four:lol:, cause i looked for some good place with fresh water. (1E that was).

I do not recall why i made Corinth at all, which misses horses nicely:lol: And that workboat could be whipped three turns earlier.

Techs were agriculture, when i decided to gamble with bronze, did not find teched archery since barb archers ate my scout when i finished animal husbandry (still hurting myself with no roads), wheel and started pottery.

I will give save here, so you could tell how awfull i am:lol:. And one thing sure my girl is right I am not sober enough for driving.

Edit: I was told to continue this disaster until 1AD. Which i will, since it is worth to learn things from your own mistakes.
Also please remove me from rooster thing. Immortal is for fun and screwing. I will need to master Emperor first. Thank you.

Edit2:
Spoiler :
Well, land is in such quality and quantity that even i had hard time screwing it totally. Although i will need to relearn at playing normal. After fifth city i actually lost control of anything remotely close to micromanagenement. And i hardly recall chopping anything. Including jungle above rice which doesn't make me happy.
And somehow Aesthetics was not so great trade bait, but if that means Immortal AI's killed they research while rexing into land of similar quality...

Dropped second save for proper date

Attachments

• Immortal Soira BC-1480.CivBeyondSwordSave
    113.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Soirana ICII AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    183 KB · Views: 93
Ah, drat, I missed the fact that it was your online Deity game that was with Pericles! I wasn't going to take into account offline games (couldn't even if I wanted to since I didn't know the roster), but I was thinking I'd restart if I hit any of the leaders/civs currently involved in the "main" games in the Strategy & Tips forum. Somehow I missed yours. :blush:

It's no problem, Pericles is one of the leaders I have a hard time getting enough of, he's like Monty in that regard.

oyzar: Yes as Raskolnikov said, the rounds after round 1 could be shortened. They take longer to play anyhow and you don't need as many to drastically change the direction of a game the farther into it you get so that was my idea.

4000BC-1480BC:

Spoiler :

Settle in place. good mix of FPs, food and prod. Health is a slight concern.

My scout got to Woodsman2, got the map well explored. We have a lot of land. I wanted to set up a strong economy before go crazy on settlers, so I got Agri-wheel-pottery before BW to set up the cottages in capital ASAP.

Now at 1480BC, already had 1 village in capital, 5 cottages in development while produing settlers. hooked up wheat early, built granary/Barracks in capital for constant archer/settler/worker production.

1 settler enroute to settle stone+rice+2 silk to south East, block off Khmer.

the scout fog busting near fish/dye/cow/silk

got 1 more Cover archer up north and try to get him unlock HE.

Now just steady settler/archer/worker combo in capital to grab more land.

Tech:

Writing already in, Getting sailing for trade routes, it is much faster than connecting via land.

Next might go with IW to see if any Iron near by and clear the jungle on rice.

1480BC Capital:

Switching between cottages and mines for Settler/Archer productions.

chopping 2nd settler now.

1480BC:

explored map,

1 settler enrounte to settle stone/rice/2 silk

Oops, yeah, I took the rounds from the Monarch games which are on Epic Speed. I have no idea where the round would be on Normal. I'm not sure if it's really worth it to make round 1 longer. After all, in the Emperor Cookbook we took out an AI by 1500BC. Even if that one was on Epic speed I think there's still place for diversion if we keep the round at its current length. Anyway, all input from other players on whether we should make the round longer or not is welcome. I'll also play the 63 turns tonight to see where it leaves me, and we'll make a decision after that.

How do you go about calculating in which year a certain number of turns will leave you anyway?

Empires progress slower (date-wise) on normal speed though. You loose a lot of turns to Worker/Settler/Army movement at the faster speeds. A rush by 1500 BC on Epic is a walk in the park. On Normal, it's ace play with the suspicion of luck, not often possible. IMO 4000-1500 BC is too short on Normal. It's near impossible to acheive anything worth discussing in such a narrow time-frame. We're going to end up with a whole lot of bland opening saves and discussion along the lines of "gee, did you move your archer west to block that barbarian..? I moved mine north...". Also the most risk free save is going to get the votes, barring any interesting oracle shot attempts from being chosen.

Just my sincere input. I think 4000 - 1000 BC or even 4000 - 0 AD would work much better.

Top Bottom