Immortal Diety jump

KingKong76

Warlord
Hey folks!
In the last few mounths I played something like 10 emperor games where I focused on patching the flaws in my game, espeialy, wonder whoring and warmonging. I also made sure to achieve solid fast starts, poping my cities before turn 100-110 and completing NC before turn around turn 80-100 depending of the cgame conditions. All this without negleting to build some millitary to make sure Im not a too easy target.

Once done, I then switched to Immortal and my work on emperor showed results.

I won 3 consecutive games on Immortal (with very powerfull civs tho) including 2 very dominatiing performances. In my last game, I was aiming science victory, but ended up winning diplomatic (almost by mistake) on tun 319 (or so). Ship was taking off next turn, and in 10-20 tuns, I would have get cultural vic. At some point in the game (turn 200 or so), if I decided to shift for domination, I could have done it too.

SOOOO, I think I might be ready to pass next level soon.

What will be the biggest difference?
What should I work on in my next few Immortal game?
What are the most common mistake for Immortal players when they jump to Diety.

Jeez all of you guys, it's DEITY, the E comes first and then it's the I <_<

but I digress. The most obvious differences are

the enemies now have an extra Settler and basically they start with 2 cities. Often the second city will be 4 tiles away from your cap (because that's the minimum). They also have an extra worker I think.

the enemies build things faster and have a slightly bigger tech head start. That means you can expect a horde of archers as early as turn 50 if you're particularly unlucky.

That also means you're unlikely to get some of those juicy early wonders you probably get most of the time on Immortal

I also believe you receive some sort of negative modifiers to your game, so stuff you do takes a bit longer than on Immortal.

I believe the enemies also spawn a tad closer to you, giving you less space to expand and consequently, less time to do it

I heard that, when playing deity, if Zulus start next to you then you should find some deity to help you to survive!

@OP, I just made the jump to Deity, so I will be anxious to hear how it goes for you. I have found it very challenging.

My only advise is to make sure you are pretty comfortable with Dom on Immortal, because my few Deity SV looked like my early Immortal Dom runs. That is, I need to take out at least one cap with with CBs or XBs at the very least least.

This is what im working on right now... Dom... or at least expansion through war... Trying to find strategy with lower amounts of units since the more you wait the more they will out-produce you. Also working on making sure I make the right choices between Razing and Pupetig and late annex cities.

I so suck at war its incredible! Its less and less true, but still... it was not my playstyle in early levels so I go forced into it only on immortal where its simply impossible to play 100% peacefull and just defense! They pop those units so fast that even if they crash almost their entire army on your walls, they will rebuild it and continue to ram you. SO you have to set them back by taking cities. If you want peace prepare for war become very true on Immortal... and I read that if you are unlucky on Deity, you can expect hordes of units attcking you as soon as turn 50!! TURN 50!?!? Really?

Im not ready for that!! hahaha

But probably in a few more games. Im at 5 consecutives Immortal vitory, all with very powerfull civs, but IM slowly and certainly going down to tier 2 and 3.... so we will see how I do.

Good luck to you too!

Deity = Extra Settler from AI. If you spawn close enough you can snag it before it settles. The AI also has extra Workers, so be sure to grab them too with your starting warrior. In general, I find the Pyramids a very good wonder in Deity because you could do some hardcore pillage exploiting (Hey, it's not patched yet,)

The main problem is that the AI will have shabooty loads of units (Once saw a Zulu in the Modern Era that still had about 15-20 impi, don't tell me how that works)
I'd recommend Domination victory first, because that is the easiest, especially when the AI has settlers coming 40% faster to snag those really good luxuries and you want those really good luxuries.
Assyria is really good for this, because between the siege tower and the UA, they're able to catch up on the AI in tech and territory very quickly.
Thats the only input I have. I guess if you wanted you could also use poland or babylon... one of them god tiers blast through the AI hard

And before jumping to Deity, try to win a game in immortal without building any wonders (Wonders that are required for victories are the one excpetion). You'll make the jump to Deity in a fraction of the time it took me. I still find it difficult to play without the bump from the GL.

I'd recommend Domination victory first, because that is the easiest, especially when the AI has settlers coming 40% faster to snag those really good luxuries and you want those really good luxuries.

Unless your are maybe doing some Attila gambit, I don’t think this is true at all. I tried Diplo first, and that went easy enough.

I go forced into it only on immortal where its simply impossible to play 100% peacefull and just defense!

It is completely possible to play a 100% peaceful game on Deity and win.

Domintion or Cultural is the hardest to win on Deity, Science and Diplomatic are both *much* easier.

Probably should've added a IMO... Oh well.

I just feel that sitting around being beaten and battered by the AI is harder than beating and battering the AI.

It is completely possible to play a 100% peaceful game on Deity and win.

Domintion or Cultural is the hardest to win on Deity, Science and Diplomatic are both *much* easier.

Maybe I should work on my diplomatie, cause at Immortal yet I didnt play a single game where I got DoW for the 1st time around turn 100.

And in all my games I had to get a rid of at least 1 AI to give me the necessary space to install appropriate defense and diplomatie to keet the other AI on their own playing ground.

Or maybe its just a conincidence too.... only 5 games is a very small sample.

I found the main challenge in Deity was in learning how to fight a patient defensive war, and coping with not always being able to press the advantage once you've seen off their army.

As others have said, Deity often sees your opponent with a LOT more units than you, and that means that you'll often be outnumbered four to one or worse when it comes to war. You can see off that opposing force fairly easily if you remain on the defensive and get your ranged units in the right places just before the war begins (and the AI telegraphs its DoWs so badly its painful), but it'll often be the case that you don't have the time or resources to go capturing their cities after that, or that if you do, you suddenly face a DoW from another quarter. Sometimes the best you can do is a bit of pillaging for gold, and then taking a generous peace offer from a cowed attacker.

One thing that improved my deity game a lot was earlier prioritisation of archers in my build order: if you can get a decent military up, you delay the first DoW, and see them off more easily.

I've also found that the changes to Tradition from the last patch have made my own Deity game a lot harder, as I often tried to get my first culture boosts from a ruin and get free monument in the capital. Now, you're pretty much obliged to build that first monument.

The other thing to remember is that in a Deity game you will be running behind the curve for a lot, lot longer. Barring an opportunistic CB rush (not always an option) I often hold off my first war of conquest till Artillery. Better players can start taking capitals sooner, but I've always found that this is the point when you can start fighting wars with 0 units lost.

As in any game, science is king, and Deity actually offers you an advantage that other difficulty levels don't: foreign trade routes will give you a good amount of science in the early game. This makes techs that give trade routes very important. As techs tend to come in faster on deity because of this, you'll also move through the Eras more quickly, relative to policy progression, and this makes civs with Era-dependent UAs (especially Poland) stronger on Deity than they are on lower difficulty levels.

Definitely though, I'd say the jump to Deity is the hardest difficulty jump there is. Good luck!

Top Bottom