Immortal : discouraged again and again...

Naokaukodem

Millenary King
Despite one only win on this difficulty (military) and watching Deity let's plays, I always feel I can't beat this level anytime. There's always something that prevents me to not be conquered or to feel i can win the game reasonably.

For example, in my last game, I settled 3 cities, everything was fine, and planned to attack the civ north of me. Thing is, its first city didn't interest me, I planned to let it as its only remaining city as to not have the warmonger civ finishing penalty. Thing is, the next city was the capital, with some wonders in it, and was very interesting to me. But, it had a defense of 30+, by the time I had composite bowmen and catapults... no doubt my catapults would be one shoted one on each turn, so i decided to wait for trebuchets, crossbowmen and possibly knights.

However, America in the other side of the map (small) still had conquered one civ and started to conquer persia too, already took 2 cities from them... So here is my problem with that game : America was steamrolling the map, while i was still waiting with my 3 cities to attack my first city... at that point i felt desperate and didn't see how possibly could i win the game. So I just quitted. I still don't know how such a thing was possible, probably because of the military advance of Ais in Immortal and that America had the right units to conquer. But still, it feels frustrating to be bloqued by what was probably to most powerfull city of the map, while America didn't seem to have any difficulty...

Another game I can remember is when i settled 4 cities, my fourth one being pretty much landlocked (sort of...) by my neighbouring civ. The cherry on the cake was that that civ amused itself to settled all over my territory, so i ended up surrounded by crappy cities that could still produce units... I declared war but my "landlocked" city haden't enough space to contain enough range units to sustain the war effort... another wasted game.

There's something that really piss me off with that game, there are so many different situations that always seem to go in my defavor, each time different, and I can't adapt to them in time, I'm always surprised or pissed off when it's too late... I dont' know if this is bad game design but so many people seem to do fine one level up that something is wrong with me... yet I can't resist to complain because I feel frustrated... I definitely can't understand this game.

I don't ask for help, I'm just shouting of the roofs my frustration... video games nowadays are so complex, I prefer when they were much more simple, at least the mainstream ones. (Even the Civ series were much more simple back in the days, until Civ3 were it was a pain to beat Deity with all those artillery stacks but still possible)

Top Bottom