1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Immortal Dutch Domination - REX/Spy Fusion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Stories & Tales' started by axident, Aug 27, 2007.

1. fugazi

fugazi King

Awesome story, I wonder what will happen in the future between Willem and his flute player Ilse :D

2. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

you should beeline genetics just so Willem and Ilse could have a perfect baby lol

3. axident

axident Emperor

“Willem, a status report from the field, sir,” Chris says as he hands Willem a message written on newfangled “paper.”

“Thanks,” Willem says. He opens the letter and begins to read. “It seems that Maarten has successfully attacked a barbarian city south of the Scythian isthmus. It is of little strategic importance, and he has burned it down. He also sent back his best field spy to Amsterdam and recommends that the spy be sent to Cori to assist in Ethel Rosenberg’s infiltration activities. He also says that Capac is up to something militarily, but he’s not sure what.”

“This is excellent news!” Willem says. “Except that part about Capac. We’ll have to keep an eye on him, though I doubt he would attack his Hindu soul-brother when there are so many heathens to attack instead. Any news on the home front, Chris?”

“The Hague has sent a large party of settlers to claim the iron-heavy hill east of Amsterdam and formerly known as ‘East Fort.’ There, they will harvest the seafood and pigs and iron and hopefully build a bunch of Moai Statues that mysteriously make stretches of the Orange Ocean produce more manufactured goods.”

1060 AD, January 18th, 8:57 p.m., Cori, Inca Kingdom.

There is no moonlight and precious little starlight due to the previous night’s rain. A lone figure swathed in black scales a low stone wall and nimbly makes his way behind a woodshed on the outskirts of a large estate on the western savannah near Cori. The figure pulls out a small piece of paper and consults it briefly before tucking away the paper and heading towards the large manor in the middle of the muddy field.

The manor house is of sturdy wooden construction and is decorated with numerous feathers and colored glass windows. Several trees and rows of manicured hedges provide ample cover for the figure as it makes its way to a windowed door on the south face of the house.

The figure takes out a small instrument made of iron and a clamshell honed to razor sharpness, and within moments the figure carves a large circle into the window above the doorknob. The figure applies some clam-based glue to his handiwork and silently lifts out the circle of glass, setting it aside and covering it with mud.

Reaching in, the figure unlocks the door from the inside and makes its way to the sleeping quarters of the house.

A young man lies on the bed, giving the figure pause. Piyani Cacha, the famous Incan actor who lives in this house as a guest of the Duke of Cori during the wintertime, looks surprisingly young and bulky while sleeping.

The figure pulls out a small knife and a rag. Just as it is about to cram the rag into the sleeping figure’s mouth, Piyani opens his eyes and grabs both wrists of the assailant.

“Spying Dutch scum. You spent the last 50 years staking out this house. Didn’t you think we would have noticed you? When the tail we had follow you saw what you were doing tonight, we moved Piyani into the next room. How do you like me as a replacement?”

With that, the fake Piyani head butts Agent 002, who drops the knife and rag and crashes against the nightstand next to the bed, losing his balance and sprawling onto the floor.

Gasping for breath, 002 attempts to get up only to receive a knee to the stomach from “Piyani,” who has emerged from beneath the covers to reveal a young and strong Incan. 002 is a tall and sturdily-built young man, but the fake Piyani is easily half a head taller and much heavier, with tree-trunk legs.

“Who are you?” 002 gasps, the wind knocked out of him.

“You know who I am.”

“Nine Feathers?”

“I see my name gets around. You are under arrest. Even now, a platoon of the Incan royal guards is coming. Don’t try anything stupid. We just want to... talk to you.”

During this exchange, 002’s hand has been edging behind him, towards the miniature crossbow at his right hip, but as 002 grasps the crossbow, Nine Feathers lowers his shoulder and rams into 002, sending the crossbow and its poisoned ammunition skidding away from 002, who finds himself sitting against the wall of the corridor outside of the bedroom.

“I see you want to start our ‘talk’ a little early,” Nine Feathers snickers as the sounds of footsteps grow louder. 002 hears an interior being opened within the manor house.

Nine Feathers pulls off 002’s mask, and 002’s sweaty, sandy locks fall over his bloodied face and broken nose.

“What do you have to say for yourself?” Nine Feathers crows.

“This,” 002 replies as he makes for the crossbow. Nine Feathers kicks 002’s left arm away from the crossbow, but 002’s right arm manages to grab one of poisoned bolts strapped to the side of the crossbow, and just as the Incan royal guards round the corner, 002 thrusts the bolt into his chest.

“You’ve won, but you’ve lost,” 002 says defiantly as the world turns gray around him.

“Deny everything, of course,” Willem snaps at Maarten when Maarten delivers the news of 002’s fate and Huayna’s subsequent accusations. “Lone actor, no governmental involvement, yadda yadda.”

“Chris! Where have you been?” Willem asks tersely as Chris enters the war room.

“Sorry, sir, I was just finalizing the sale of Theology to Sitting Bull.”

“What did we get for it?”

“Compass.”

“Is that good or bad?”

“Not so good, sir, because we were hoping to sell it around more, but the only other viable customer is Wang Kon, who won’t offer us as much gold as the technology is worth. So we basically stole Theology for little more than Compass, and the heat on our spies has been tremendous ever since. I doubt we can steal much more from Inca before we are unable to steal anything altogether.”

“Is there any GOOD news?”

“Amsterdam has completed the University of Sankore, which is useful since we already have plenty of Hindu buildings in our cities, as we built them for the Apolostic Palace and Sistine Chapel’s sake. By the way, I wasn’t done with the bad news.”

“What other bad news is there?” Willem asks, sighing.

“Korea has discovered Optics and upgraded its fleet with telescopes. We need to catch up, but Incan counterespionage activity is at an all-time high. Our third Great Spy is en route but not yet in Inca to sabotage their security efforts. When he gets there, his efforts should allow for the theft of something as big as Optics, but in the meantime, nobody is willing to sell or trade Optics to us. If we had those telescopes, though, we could make stronger oceangoing vessels and perhaps be the first to prove my ancient conjecture that the planet is round. This would embolden our sailors to sail faster than before. Second place gets nothing.”

“Do it, then, put everything we have towards these ‘telescopes,’ build some ships to circumnavigate the planet, and deny Wang Kon that advantage.”

“Very well. We are almost finished with Education, sir, but we will go for Optics right after. Then Liberalism and Taj.”

“Fine, fine, whatever. I am late for my pilgrimage to the Hindu Apolostic Palace. Is Ilse back yet?”

“No, she’s still aboard the Trompest in a Teapot, teaching our navy to sing ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.’”

“Drat.”

Sitting Bull and Huayna Capac are already sitting in the bath when Willem enters the Apolostic Palace.

“Welcome, Willem, Hindu soul-brother!” Capac shouts excitedly.

“Hello there, soul-brother! Hindu Hug time!” Willem cries, while privately thinking, “I guess Capac accepts that our lame excuses for 002’s presence in Cori, after all; he seems Friendly enough.”

Sitting Bull looks away from the Hindu Hug in disgust.

“Now, about last time. I think I came across too rough. But, what I mean to say this time, is that I request your compliance with a no-trade policy against Sumer,” Capac says, easing his way back into the bath.

Willem sighs. “Sorry, we Dutch are traders; you know I can’t vote that way.”

“Oh come on!” Huayna says, disappointed.

“Give me Optics, then.”

“What?!”

“We bought a telescope in a pawn shop in Cuzco last year and are halfway towards reverse engineering it, anyway.”

“No Optics for you!”

“Okay, then how about we ship you iron ore in exchange for an equal weight in ivory, plus six talents of gold per shipment?”

“That’s a rotten deal, but...” Capac trails off, furrowing his brow.

“We know you’re about to whack someone, come on, what do you say?”

“What? Who said we peaceful Inca are about to attack anyone?”

“Call it a hunch.”

“Okay, fine, we could use that iron for some strong infantry divisions to accompany our elephants and archers.”

“That’s more like it!”

“I love how both of you just ignore me,” Sitting Bull grumbles.

“Quiet, mister six lousy votes!” Capac says.

4. axident

axident Emperor

Phoenician savages populate the barbarian city just south of ex-Scythia. (242)

We continue to sporadically crank out workers, interspersing them with other builds. (245)

Inca’s power surge is suspicious. And indeed, they have enough on their hands, though nobody else does. Who will Inca declare war on? Rotterdam kicks into Pikeman-spam mode. Note that our focusing 100% of our espionage on Inca means that Korea has built up enough EPs to make itself invisible on the power graph. (247)

Against all odds, a third Great Spy is born in Amsterdam. We wasted so many EPs on stealing Theology that we need this spy to re-infiltrate Inca if we want to steal anything better than Horseback Riding. In hindsight, the second spy should have infiltrated, the merchant settled, and this spy should have slept to wait for a golden age. But I didn’t think that Inca would have much more to steal after Theology, which they will shortly prove wrong. (250)

Unlike Scythian, Phoenician is not on a hill, and our maceman is also double-CR-promoted at this time. The city falls easily. (251)

It’s a tough call but we raze Phoenician because the thwarted Korean settler that tried to grab Haarlem’s spot apparently turned south and settled the river east of Phoenician. We could probably settle the “better location” spot and culture-push the Koreans out of the area, but it’s probably not possible to get there with a settler before Korea does. Perhaps we should have delayed the capture of Phoenician until we had a settler on hand to instantly replace it. (257)

The Hague’s newest settler goes north to settle the East Fort/Moai spot. The Hague shifts to worker production so that Amsterdam might finally get some development going. (screenshot omitted)

Agent 002 tries to steal Drama from Inca... (260)

...with ugly results. (261)

One of the crappiest quests shows up. At least it wasn’t a negative random event! (262)

Remember that Theology we jacked in the hopes of selling it someone? We can’t get much for it, only Compass. I suppose we could sell it to Korea for some gold, but Korea is probably going to be our first military target so it may be better to slow down their teching by not giving them any good deals. (In hindsight we probably should have sold it anyway.) Also note that Korea already has Optics; we are going to have to hustle to Optics and caravels if we want the circumnavigation bonus! (263)

Uni of Sank is done. AP and Sankore and Sistine are a potent threesome but what we could really use is Spiral Minaret to complete the Religious Building Economy (+2 hammers, gold, and beakers, and +5 culture, per Hindu building). Unfortunately there is no chance in hell that we could build Spiral, not with Inca’s deathgrip on Divine Right and its wonderspamming capabilities. (265)

Optics after Education. Economics will have to wait; maybe we can jack Guilds from Inca soon. (268)

Capac, despite losing more and more % of the votes each time, still is resident of the AP and still fruitlessly tries to get me to vote to not trade with Sumer. (269)

We are Friendly with Capac now, but he was merely Pleased when he first had his hands full. Inca’s strongest rushing unit is the elephant right now, so Middelburg and Rotterdam continue to crank pikemen with the occasional crossbowman just in case we get dogpiled by Sumer or Native America. (273)

We try to leverage our newfound Friendliness for free Optics. Capac declines. What a miser! We were halfway done researching Optics anyway, so I thought he would say yes, as the AI would only consider Optics to be half-price in such a situation. (275)

While it is possible that Capac is rushing us, he seems to really hate Sumer and dislike Korea, so we trade him Iron so that he can get a proper rush going against those Protective rivals and thus do some successful proxy fighting for us. In exchange he gives us Ivory and some gold per turn. (276)

5. axident

axident Emperor

"Smell the fart" look? Sounds like Sitting Bull's reaction to the Hindu Hug!

Actually this is my first bona fide Story thread; I wanted to do something different rather than post yet another game report. Monarch Wonderspam was my first Game Report thread, though it got cut short thanks to the screenshot fiasco.

That is, Immortal Dutch Domination is not just a game report, unlike the ALC threads and Flouze's threads (which I also enjoyed, no offense intended!). The ample screenshots and summaries in this thread make it a Game Report as well, but that's the easy part; writing the storylines takes much more time (as the Princes thread illustrates; look how long that's taking relative to the ALC game reports). I also didn't want to write yet another Serious Story so I took a more Snaaty-like approach and am writing it as a Humorous Story that pokes fun at itself. :)

PigFishIron will get settled soon, after a bit more worker spamming. No sense in putting it off any longer!

6. axident

axident Emperor

Haha, unfortunately we're in the middle of a lot of war and spying so Ilse (cultural and domestic advisor) is quiet for now, but she'll be back from the Trompest in a Teapot soon!

7. axident

axident Emperor

“Ilse, do you ever feel like we’re the ‘bad guys’?” Willem says, turning to face her. Ilse snuggles closer beneath the bedsheets and pauses before replying.

“Willem, you worry too much. It’s all that firewater, that’s all. It makes you upset and think too much.”

“My head does feel like an anvil right now,” Willem admits. “But I never meant for King Farsa to die.”

“I thought they never recovered his body.”

“Yes but that trigger-happy lunatic Tromp burned down the entire city, so of course there were not many bodies to be recovered.”

“Farsa did kill our messengers and send back their heads,” Ilse says, making a face. “And we’ve introduced literature and music to the Scythian people. We make their lives better, not worse.”

“That’s true. But what about Inca? I feel bad plucking Huayna’s secrets from his back pocket even as I give him the Hindu Hug.”

“Isn’t this the same Huayna who threatened us a while back with some demand for Code of Laws?”

“True,” William replies. “Serves that bully right! And he wouldn’t give us Optics even after we were halfway there anyway! I hope our caravels win their circumnavigation race.”

“And didn’t those Incans we kidnapped stay of their own will?”

“Actually, yes, it’s funny how they cooperated completely and didn’t want to return to their former country, after seeing all the music and splendid culture we’ve built here. They even changed their names and adopted new ones.”

“See?”

“Then again, I also think it has something to do with their asking if you had sisters....”

8. axident

axident Emperor

1140 AD, November 10th, 9:10 p.m. Cori, Inca. A cloudy and moonless night.

“Nine Feathers,” Jan mutters to himself. “I must be crazy to take this job.” 001 looks around and surveys the main street in Cori. It is summertime and the sun has just set. “Mari, this will be the last job. I promise. 5000 clams. That’s enough to buy us our own place,” he thinks.

Jan steps inside the Cori Inn and has a plain meal of elephant steak before retiring to his room. He takes out the paper plans of the Cori City Hall, memorizing each line. Tonight is the night. It’s been 50 years of stationary spying in the making.

1140 AD, November 10th, 11:56 p.m. Cori, Inca.

City Hall is a squat and unimpressive, but serviceable structure on Cori’s main street. The back alley adjoins that of Cori’s famed “restaurant row.” The smell of pungent curries and spices lines the alley. Jan slinks into the alley near midnight and is unseen as far as he can tell.

Jan takes out a small key and a mallet. He inserts the specially-narrowed key and bumps the end of it with the mallet two times. On the third try, the tumblers are knocked clear, and Jan opens the door to City Hall’s backroom.

Once Jan closes the door behind him, he can barely see anything in the pitch black backroom. He removes a small candle from his belt and a clamshell lighter. The candle flickers to life, and Jan steps around the boxes of bureaucratic stone tablets and assorted detritus.

It doesn’t take long before Jan finds the shelves containing blueprints to the city structures, including the Cori Theater. Jan removes the stone tablet and places a thin sheet of tracing paper over it, then rubs the paper with a lump of charcoal.

“Bingo,” Jan mutters as he finishes up and replaces the tablet.

-----

Sometimes it’s worth it to build monuments in culturally-pushed cities, as you can’t build them after Astronomy. If you build them early enough, they get double cultural output after 1000 years. That’s not very helpful now that it’s past 1000 AD, but there were some earlier monuments we planted in other cities that should help out later on. (277)

Versailles is a great wonder to let someone else build. If you war with that civ and capture that city, you get an instant reduction in maintenance costs for that city and everything around it. (278)

Thanks to our miserly “friend” Capac, we had to research Optics for ourselves. (279)

Nobody seems to be near Economics so we go for Liberalism->Nationalism->Taj for yet another golden age. In the meantime we should be able to steal pre-reqs to Economics just in time for us to research Economics after Nationalism. (280)

The Hague helps East Fort out by making workboats; it now switches to caravel construction. So does Amsterdam. Sending 1 caravel in each direction (west/east) should net us the circumnavigation bonus unless Korea made a similar dash for it. (282)

Our third Great Spy re-infiltrates Inca. (284)

Agent 001 tries to steal Drama and succeeds where Agent 002 failed. (285)

A lone swordsman from the Phoenician war walks around Korea, mapping it out. (287)

Amsterdam sends a caravel west. (289)

Amsterdam also starts building a courthouse--every EP matters now. It will also train another spy to replace Agent 002, who died in our first attempt at stealing Drama. This turned out to be a near-fatal mistake; Agent 003 should have been trained BEFORE the courthouse got built. Rotterdam trains Agent 004. (290)

One of our cities built a scout and it boarded the galley that The Hague had made; the scout disembarks on Long Island and sees a barb galley on the far side of the island. His main target is that hut on Long Island. Will he pop a tech like Astronomy or at least pop some gold to pay for the cost of building the scout and galley? (292)

9. axident

axident Emperor

“Welcome back from vacation, Willem and Ilse!” Chris says happily.

“Thanks, Chris,” Ilse says.

“Did you have a good time?”

“Indeed! We toured the Sistine Chapel and the southern territories, including the Scythian ruins. I feel so... so... cultured!” Willem grins.

“Excellent, sir. Shall I brief you on the developments that occurred in your absence?”

“If you can keep it short, Chris,” Willem says. “I have to leave for another Apolostic Palace meeting. In fact, I’m already late.”

“All right,” Chris says. “The short story is, some of our best philosophers have come up with the idea of classical liberalism, free religion, and all that. The Dutch people feel like more of a nation of citizens now, and as you ordered before you left for vacation, we are making another erection in honor of Ilse. This time, it will be a magnificent marble home, the Taj Mahal, for Ilse here in Amsterdam. It will surely trigger a frenzy of production and economic activity.”

“Excellent!” Willem says.

“Do you think that’s proper? I don’t really need--” Ilse begins.

“Nonsense. Nothing is too good for my dear Ilse,” Willem interrupts.

“Part of the home was paid for by a great merchant, Coco Chanel, who has decided to settle down in Amsterdam and become a philanthropist,” Chris continues.

“Thank you, Chris. That is very flattering. Please send Coco our thanks.”

“Yes, send Coco our thanks and free use of the Trompest in a Teapot.”

“Um, sir,” Chris begins, hesistantly.

“We no longer have a navy.”

“WHAT?”

“That big bully Tromp found pirates hiding on the far side of Long Island. Tromp rammed the Trompest in a Teapot into the enemy, but she wound up almost sinking herself as the pirates made their getaway.”

“Is Tromp okay?” Ilse asks.

“The ship did not actually sink until it got back to Amsterdam. All of the crew survived, though a few were injured by the collision,” Chris replies. “In fact, Tromp is here in Amsterdam right now, tending to some of the injured sailors.”

“Thank goodness,” Ilse says.

“Indeed,” Chris says perfunctorily. “In better news, we also smuggled a scouting party onto the island via galley. They found some abandoned maps written by some ancient civilization that has since perished. They returned to the mainland to scout westwards. The galley was scuttled to save on expenses. Also, our newfangled caravels have set off in opposite directions to prove that the world is round. Amsterdam’s caravel has traveled far west and has sighted the Sumerian kingdom to the west of the Native Americans.”

“Good. Any other news?” Willem asks.

“Nothing that can’t wait until you return from Cuzco, sir,” Chris says.

Willem steps into the bathhouse at Cuzco’s Apolostic Palace, where Huayna Capac and Sitting Bull are already bathing.

“Welcome!” Huayna says cheerfully. “We’re here today to vote for the third time on stopping all trade with Gilgamesh.”

“No. In fact, I hereby vote ‘no’ to every single ‘do not trade with whomever’ resolution you propose from now on.” Willem then turns around and walks back out of the bathhouse.

“Aha! Why didn’t I think of that? I’m out of here!” Sitting Bull shouts at Capac.

10. axident

axident Emperor

No comment. The scout later reboards the galley, gets off on Colossia, and starts going west to explore Sumer by land. (293)

It’s 1200 AD. Do you know where your Liberalism is? It’s in the Netherlands, that’s where, and we grab Nationalism for Taj Mahal.

By the way, if we beelined Liberalism we could get there earlier, but what’s the point? Nobody was in position to beat us to Liberalism, so we could take our sweet time. In my humble opinion, some people get too caught up in making certain techs by X date when the precise date doesn’t matter; what really matters is the relative tech, land, military, diplomatic, and resources situation. We haven’t bulbed and traded our way to Liberalism, but that’s slowed everyone else down as well. Not to mention how we’ve been mostly successful in carving up our continent into separate religions to slow down tech trading some more, not to mention that it makes us safer from a religious dogpile.

Note that we are in a strong position in terms of land, cities, wonders, resources, diplomacy, and techs overall. We also have a military on par with our neighbors. It’s one thing to get Liberalism first; it’s another to get there in style! (295)

Amsterdam, which has hit size 20, can build Taj in 9 turns. If we were cautious, we would now beeline Economics. But we are reckless and will go for the jugular: Representation, to complete shortly before the Golden Age so we can shift to Representation soon after we get it, anarchy-free. We’ll be stealing our way to Economics instead of researching Guilds and Banking. (296)

Amsterdam also spawns another great merchant in 1200AD. (297)

For the third time, Capac, no we won’t stop trading with Sumer! (298)

Long Island is not worth settling right now, as every city is very busy, so the galley dies. In hindsight, it was a stupid decision to disband it just to save a little gold each turn. (301)

Sumer spotted. They are apparently west of Native America. (302)

Trouble brewing. We are leeching off Capac for the prereqs to Economics, but Wang Kon already has Guilds whereas Capac does not. Capac is 5 turns away from... Astronomy? What the heck? Why couldn’t he be a normal guy and go for Guilds so we can steal it and accelerate our progress towards Economics? (303)

Trompest in a Teapot rams the barbarian galley with 88% odds.. (304)

And sinks?! That’s what you get for using slave labor to build the boat. (305)

11. axident

axident Emperor

I'm hard at work writing the next several entries, but in the meantime, I thought of Master of Magic the other day and one of the first story writeups that I read. The author's site is no longer active, but the web archive has a copy of the site (click on "Saxon Diary" on the lefthand navigation bar):

http://web.archive.org/web/20030210205829/http://www.proaxis.com/~jarvinen/magic/magic.shtml

By the way, whoever voted this thread 2 stars, mind saying why? Maybe we can improve the thread, hmm? Killroyan for instance asked that gamespeak be inserted between screenshots, and I indulged him. And I agree that it makes it a stronger thread. If you voted 2 stars out of spite rather than actual dissatisfaction, go pound sand. :)

12. Killroyan

Killroyan Deity

I voted 5 stars twice, maybe that is the problem ;) Btw thx for the indulgence. But we are getting closer to 007. Will the other spies keep James Bond from appearing? Are the victory goals already getting more clear. Keep up the great story.

13. axident

axident Emperor

Ah thanks but I don't think you can double vote. :) Anyway, James Bond is simply not a Dutch name. Jan Bushnell, though, is. ;) Also, I always go for Domination if it is the least bit feasible, because going for land, population, and military is very flexible. It's easy to switch from Domination to Diplo, Space, Conquest, Time, and even Cultural (if you kill off your cultural competition).

14. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

i just voted 5 stars recently, maybe there was an accident?

15. Killroyan

Killroyan Deity

I think Joop de Vries is a more typical Dutch name for 007. BTW update!!!! Domination is gonna be fun. I wonder what will happen to those silly korean cities :spank: :hammer2: :hammer:

16. MrFelony

MrFelony Prince

they should combine those last 2 smilies in your post kill, that'd make for one awesome emoticon

17. axident

axident Emperor

“The money is too good,” Jan says softly, pacing around the small apartment in Amsterdam which he shares with his family.

“I don’t care, Jan, Mari says as she rubs her pregnant belly. Would you make me a rich widow? You promised, Jan, you promised!”

“One last assignment, Mari,” Jan offers. “20,000 gulden. That’s a fortune, Mari. What we have now is enough for us to live well for the rest of our lives, but it’s enough for two, not three,” Jan says, wrapping his arm around Mari and patting her stomach.

“Promise me,” Mari says, breaking into tears. “Promise me like you’ve never promised before, that this will be your last time.”

“I promise,” Jan says firmly. “I promise to retire after this assignment.”

“Captain Tromp, sir! A letter from your father, Admiral Tromp!” the sailor says, holding out a folded piece of paper.

“At ease. Thank you,” Captain Tromp says as he unfolds the paper. “Has the fog cleared yet?”

“No, sir, it’s still as thick as pea soup out there.”

“That is all, then. Dismissed.”

“Aye aye, captain,” says the sailor before he leaves.

Captain Tromp reads the letter aloud to himself: “My son Cornelis, I hope that the high seas are treating you well. If only your mother had not died during childbirth, she would have been so proud of you now! Nobody knows how large the Orange Ocean is, so it is important work that you are doing. Doubly important, actually, as the Amsterdam has run into a wall of ice out west and is unable to assist us any further in proving that the world is round. It’s all up to you and The Hague, now. I am currently bedridden with some minor injuries that our crew suffered near Long Island. We rammed a ship with the Trompest in a Teapot, which was rushed by slaves to completion so many years ago, and she nearly broke herself apart. Fortunately, our caravels, such as the one you captain, were not rushed with slaves to completion. Keep up the good work. You make us all proud to be Dutch! Love, Father.”

Cornelis’s thoughts are interrupted by the cries of sailors who above deck. Cornelis rushes above deck, where he sees a small fishing boat nearby, which has emerged from the billowing fog.

In the ten years that it takes The Hague to move far enough to spot actual land, the Dutch and strangers have learned each other’s languages. Suleiman of the Ottomans is apparently in charge of these mysterious waters, and he is rumored to be a wise, rich, powerful, and pious Buddhist. Cornelis offers peace, and Suleiman accepts. Cornelis also shows Suleiman some calendars in exchange for Suleiman showing the Dutch how to ride on horseback and throwing in 10 talents of gold, to boot.

Suleiman also introduces the Dutch to Ragnar of the Vikings, a fellow Buddhist, and Cornelis offers peace with Ragnar as well. Both Ragnar and Suleiman have never before encountered anyone outside of their shared continent, which they call “Buddhaland.”

Ragnar is an erratic and aggressive man, and Cornelis is relieved when The Hague casts off from an Ottoman port and is out to sea again.

“You said you wanted to see me?” Willem says as he slips into the bath of the Apolostic Palace with Sitting Bull.

“Yes. We’ve noticed that you’ve spread your armies thin. Our army is bigger and concentrated on your borders.”

“Are you threatening me?”

“Cough it up, paleface!” Sitting Bull sneers.

“How much?”

“100 talents of gold,” Sitting Bull replies, crossing his arms.

“200 talents of gold,” Willem counters.

Sitting Bull looks surprised. “200? I only asked for 100.”

“250 talents of gold and that’s my final offer!” Willem shouts.

“150 talents of gold!” counters Sitting Bull, confused by all the numbers swirling around his head.

“Done! But you do realize that we’re canceling our gold ore shipments to you, in protest, right?”

“Who cares? I’m rich!” Sitting Bull says as he rubs his hands with glee.

Jan enters the Christian church in Cori shortly after supper. He closes and locks the door behind him. A lone woman is sitting in the front pew. Jan sits next to her.

“My hands are clammy and my feet smell fishy,” Jan offers.

“Twelve sheep ate my socks on Sunday,” she replies, taking his hand. “The door is closed, yes? I had Tiwani close the other doors when he left, except the one you entered.”

“The door is closed and locked. “Your information over the last couple of thousand years has been invaluable. It is an honor to meet you at last, Ethel. How did you do it? How did you go deep undercover so many years?”

“I’ve been hiding in plain sight. Many Dutch have migrated to Cori over the years. It is not unusual for a Hindu to convert to Christianity, either, if she lives in the holy Christian city. But my time is done.”

“What do you mean?”

“Over the years, I have made numerous friends here and made a decent living selling Bibles and other knick knacks and fundraising for the church. It was a front at first, to help me blend in, but the thing is, I’ve grown to like it here. And I don’t know if I subscribe to the Hindu tenets. Helping the Netherlands now is like helping the Hindus, who have discriminated against us Christians since the very beginning. I supplied Willem with numerous plans and tips for so long, but I think it’s time to retire.”

“What? How am I supposed to do my job then?”

“Why should I help you? You are a good Hindu, aren’t you? You’re all the same. Huayna, Willem, all the same.”

“Willem doesn’t oppress Christians.”

“He also doesn’t build many temples or monasteries or cathedrals for us, either.”

“The Fatherland’s resources do not permit it at this time, and also, there simply aren’t many Christians. Rotterdam is about the only Dutch city with any significant Christian population.”

“Nijmegen too.”

“That’s still just two, and last I heard, we were at least building monasteries there, if not churches. Also, my wife is Christian and from Cori, and I’m supposed to convert. Willem really does not discriminate against Christians. You have my word.”

“Fine. I will not help you directly, though. My spying days are done. There is a new infiltration agent in town who can help you, though. He’s a nondescript lad, young like you. He somehow managed to get a position with the Cori city planning department. There are plans afoot to build something big. Some sort of giant glass eye. Ask him for the details. He’s the one who sent home information about where to get those blueprints for the Cori theater, anyway.”

“Thank you. But where shall I find him?”

“I’m already here,” says a man behind Jan, who leaps up to his feet from surprise.

“Damn, I didn’t hear you coming at all!”

“That’s why I’m a great spy and you are merely a spy. Atlas Titanus, at your service.”

18. axident

axident Emperor

Amsterdam’s caravel can’t go any farther west. It’s up to The Hague’s caravel to complete the circumnavigation. (306)

Speaking of The Hague’s caravel, it encounters the Ottomans. (307)

The Ottomans are willing to open borders (not that it means anything until one of us gets Astronomy), and they are also somewhat backwards, so we trade Calendar for Horseback Riding.

Soon after, the same caravel encounters Ragnar, who isn’t quite as behind in tech, though maybe he simply traded for Calendar with Suleiman in the time it took us to move from Ottoman territory to Viking territory. The rotten bastard won’t give up Guilds, though he is willing to open borders. (312)

The Dutch are the only ones from Colossia who know anything about the Ottoman/Viking Buddhist lovefest going on overseas. (314-15)

150 gold is a pittance for 10 turns of guaranteed peace. Here you go, Sitting Bull. (316)

As punishment though, we are taking back our gold resource. Native America probably needs the +2 happy (with forge) more than we need 7 gpt. (317)

Coco Chanel decides to settle down in Amsterdam. After all, we’re about to get another merchant from Economics anyway, right? (318)

Since nobody will give up Guilds in a trade, we self-research it after getting Constitution. Taj Mahal kicks in at this point to spawn our third, extended-length golden age. That’s three dozen turns of supercharged economy in all. (319)

Agent 001 tries for Astronomy. Does he succeed? (320)

19. Snaaty

Snaaty Deity

Gets better and better with every post, great work, keep it up

Another 5 stars from me

20. axident

axident Emperor

Wow Snaaty himself makes an appearance, I am honored. :D Thanks. Your Persian story was one of my inspirations! :bowdown: