1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Immortal+ France

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by ohhaimark, Apr 17, 2020.

1. ohhaimark

ohhaimark Chieftain

I've been trying to win with France on immortal at standard and epic speeds. However, I always seem to fall behind and am unable to fully utilize their UA.

From previous recommendations, I open with tradition (unless incredibly close neighbors in which I go authority). I b line Stonehenge and take goddess of beauty for the pantheon. I settle 4 or 5 cities and go shrine-mono-council-granary-barracks/market. I also rush mathematics for compound bowmen and to build the hanging gardens. My capital somewhat resembles a normal traditional capital. I do try to make military units when I can with it but that isn't often.

I usually get a religion, and take hero worship. I've experimented with other beliefs such as mosques, orders, 15% production, thrift, ceremonial burial and mandirs.

I usually avoid very early wars, but will do a compound bowman rush later supported by catapults and swordsmen.

By the mid game, I usually have to spend any faith I have on reconverting my cities (I normally enhance for zealotry and whatever catches my eye). I open and complete artistry.

By this time I'm usually very far behind in tech and military power. I keep up fine in policies however.

Any suggestions?

2. tothePAIN

tothePAIN Prince

I recently realized that statecraft is superior to artistry when playing from behind, because it helps keep up in tech. It might be worth a try. Otherwise, I'd try to customize the religion to science and techs, so that when you do get the conquering spree going, you're not behind in techs, because the biggest military advantage in the game is simply being a military tech ahead.

3. amateurgamer88

amateurgamer88 Emperor

I find the Tradition pick interesting. Here you have a policy tree that aims for tall which isn't the best for warmongering. Why not go Progress if you want to go wide but lack neighbors nearby? It gives you a bit of a Science boost while the wide playstyle lets you field a larger military. For me at least, I don't plan for any major wars, unless one just happens to show up with a weak neighbor, with Tradition. Tradition is actually solid for very early wars due to the amount of production you get.

4. ohhaimark

ohhaimark Chieftain

I've been going tradition and artistry due to their synergy with France's UA. Progress / Authority could help with infrastructure / expansion for sure. I guess if I'm going on conquering sprees, tradition will fall off sooner than later, so I'll try progress my next attempt

5. Omen of Peace

Omen of Peace Prince

I haven't played France in a while, so given the many City Strengths/Units changes perhaps my advice is obsolete.

But I would say Authority is the default for them, except if you've got an isolated start. You need to start producing an army early, and conquering cities early. If you can't conquer, at least level up your troops and kill units. Practice on City States if there is no accessible civ or if they have an early UU.

You can forward settle distant neighbours to have a closer base of operations, to heal up.

It's a good to have a mix of units with them, to maximize the UA bonus to attack.