1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Immortal = Immoral?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by flyingchicken, Oct 29, 2008.

1. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

Immortal implies not being able to be killed. Rather I think it is not immoral to want to live forever (or at least untill you feel you are done)....but wanting immortality so you can impose your will on anyone because they can't hurt you is bad.

2. WhiteEagle22

WhiteEagle22 Avatar of Justice

The only way I want to be immortal is by being remembered for who I was. That is the best kind of immortality that humans can get.;)

3. Dawgphood001

Dawgphood001 The Professional Poster

You're absolutely right.

Yay this man.:goodjob:

4. UNpatriot

UNpatriot Warlord

Some intend to live forever by being the greatest general ever, others by becoming the greatest artist, or sage, or explorer. Me? I intend to live forever by not dying.

(should I stop replying in vague quotes stolen from others and really contribute to this? :confused:

All right: we aren't really so far from extending our lifespan to centuries and just imagine how wise a 500-year-old would be...)

5. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.

6. philippe

philippe FYI, I chase trains.

you're late Bill.

7. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

9. Slaughter

Slaughter Initiate

Being immortal in some way is my main goal in life. One of the things that plague me in my life is that I always try to be as fast as possible when I'm not doing something fun. With true immortality, I can rest. And learn. And be wise. And marvel at the wonders of all future ages.

10. Atlas14

Atlas14 "Sophomoric Troll Master"

Do the teachings give a reason for it being a bad thing to wish for immortality? What if you wish for immortality for the purpose of being able to help out fellow man or something goody-goody like that?

11. JustinianVII

JustinianVII Prince

Is it for purely selfish reasons? Would you seek immortality for some good, righteous purpose, or just because you're afraid of death?

12. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

"Immortal" is just short-form for "trying to not die". In the end, seeking immortality is not really all that different from seeking next week's source of food. Both are designed to stave off suffering and death. What you do with your purchased time is what's important.

13. UNpatriot

UNpatriot Warlord

Isn't infinite experience and knowledge enough of a righteous purpose?

14. Halcyon

Halcyon 9000

It basically comes down to either "Do you want to die" or "Do you think other people should be forced to die against their will". I'd hope not, honestly.

Saving lives is just extending lives, after all. Everyone is born with a horrible, degenerative wasting disease called age. Would that we could cure it. How many lives would that save?

We'd have to sort out cancer, first. In many ways cancer is the disease of immortality - cancer cells do not age, or die without being killed. It's the price we pay for multicellularity.

15. DBear

DBear unbeliever

16. silver 2039

silver 2039 Deity

This jellyfish is better than all of us. It's already immortal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_nutricula

A goddam jellyfish is immortal and we aren't? So much for intelligent design....the designer really screwed up there.

17. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

18. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

That's just cruddy immortality, there's good immortality around, which I totally support!

19. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

Immortality is essentially a sense of being for your soul, is it not? When you die, you will be immortal. If you turn into a ghost and haunt us for the rest of eternity, you are immortal. If you burn in hell or relax in heaven, you’re still immortal. I don’t necessarily believe immortality is immoral, for immortality can be used for many different things. You don’t have to be immoral to be immortal, as per se.
    There’s also rotting in hell.

Eaten by a snake in hell.

Beaten to death in hell.

Falling on spikes in hell.

Burning up by having the sun and inch from you I hell.

Having an Angel/Demon scare you to death and wrench your soul from you in hell.

…

Never read the Quran, or any other religious book, on Halloween.

20. @N1k1T0$

@N1k1T0$ Prince