1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Immortal - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Juanholio, Jul 7, 2012.

1. tibbles

tibbles Warlord

I had a surprise on immortal the other day. Monty was my close neighbor, so I churned out an army expecting a DoW. Got to turn 75 and he still hadn't. Seemed a little silly to have a military all lined up with no war and his capital was right there...I generally play fairly peacefully to begin with, so was new to be the first aggressor on immortal.

I prefer emperor for the early game and I don't feel like I'm in trouble playing a weaker start roll. But by late game I'm so far ahead in tech I rarely feel like actually playing the game to the end. On immortal they're close enough that I'm more willing to play the game out.

2. Marshall Thomas

Marshall Thomas King

It'd be good if we could come up with an idea to make emperor more challenging and without just turning it in to immortal or deity. I tried playing emperor with the AI receiving the starting units it gets on deity, but this didn't make too much of a difference.

Maybe emperor with a player penalty to happiness instead of more bonuses for the AI (like immortal and deity give).

3. Xile

Xile Chieftain

Immortal does not require any number crunching to win. Sure it can be quite tedious at times, so can emperor, where you have the tech lead by early industrial and by the end of the game you lead the closest AI by 20+ techs. If you can beat emperor consistently you should probably move up.

4. MaximusK

MaximusK Warlord

I'm at the point where I'm in between Emperor and Immortal. Emperor games are pretty much guaranteed (therefore tend to get boring) while Immortal games are almost too stressful. I think I can get up to the point where I can win most of the time on Immortal but right now I'm pretty sick of it.

I play small maps because I hate turn times . . . I think I need to move up to standard to be able to take advantage of more civs to trade with, sign RA's etc . . . on a small map there comes a time towards the end of the game where you might have 1 other player left who you can sell stuff too . . . everyone else either hates you or are dead/limping along.

5. Gliese 581

Gliese 581 Your average civ junkie

It probably has a fair bit to do with skill and my lack thereof but I find that on deity it seems I'm sometimes just doomed when a warmonger start right next to me. I've lost more than one game in this way despite planning for war and defense from turn 1.
    I've never felt that way on immortal even if it made some games difficult, you can always fight back.

6. Adjuvant

Adjuvant Emperor

Ignore founding a religion in emperor. It's fun.

edit : oops, meant to quote this...

7. Calder

Calder Warlord

When I made the step up from King to Emperor playing vanilla, I was expecting a much more intense game but found I was still constantly winning domination well before the discovery of oil and never experiencing the modern era, but as i'm in my first game of G&K (always play huge marathon games that usually last a month or 2) I decided to keep it at Emperor but seems I'm destined to win even earlier (ignoring religion and being a total warmonger against 17 other civs on a terra map as England) so looking forward to my second game at Immortal level after reading this thread.

8. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

My GP didn't pop despite my having 200 faith, so I was just beaten to the final religion in my current (Rome) game. Still, when I invade Spain I'll get her mosques.

9. merubhanot

merubhanot Chieftain

Don't listen to the nonsense about immortal being a stupid number crunching difficulty. It is easily the most enjoyable difficulty to play on, since the AI has enough advantages to remain competitive against a good player. It is almost disgustingly easy to out tech and outproduce the AI on Emperor in G+K, and I suspect that you will soon get bored of the difficulty if you play it enough.

10. tyrael233

tyrael233 Chieftain

If you think you need to play perfectly to win on Immortal, you've probably never tried it. It's pretty easy actually. Culture, science, diplomatic, domination victories are all perfectly viable and there's hundreds of ways to reach them.

Unless, of course, by playing perfectly you mean micro-managing your cities and not automating your workers.

Don't get me wrong, if your thrill is to wonder spam without the slightest chance to lose, then yeah, Immortal isn't for you.

11. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

Immortal is totally doable without the tedious number crunching. It's hard, but not impossible.

There are a few tricks to it. First, it's the difficulty at which an AI with a strong start will beat a player with a mediocre start. Lots of lower difficulty players have very poor starts to their games and don't even realize it.

Second, it's the difficulty at which the AI can and will rush you into the dirt if you leave your empire unprotected. Build a couple archers. FAST.

Third, it's the difficulty at which micromanagement is mandatory. You need to efficiently use every available happiness, either for cities or for population. That means you need the population growth in the cities that can best use them, which generally means specialized cities.

If you don't want to build early troops, micromanage your cities, or optimize your build, stay at Emperor. Most games I play are at Emperor, honestly - I do enjoy my wonder whoring, it can definitely be more fun at times. But Immortal is fun in a whole different way. And it doesn't require very detailed optimization and totally pre-planned strats to beat.

12. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

This is a great discussion.

So here's the question, are there game settings and tweaks that we can use to bump up the AI a bit on emperor?

I myself find emperor pretty easy, but also enjoy it far more than immortal.

13. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Emperor

I agree that Emperor is generally more "fun" than Immortal or Deity (for me at least).

The extra Worker at Immortal is a BIG step up.

The extra Settler at Deity is an even BIGGER step.

This is especially prevalent due to exponential growth and a snowballing effect. In addition to its production/growth/whatever bonuses, the AI also gets to improve tiles right from the start (which leads to more production/growth).

14. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

If you find Emperor too easy and Immortal too hard, I would go back to Emperor and play without abusing the AI during trade. For example, don't sell Open Borders for 50 gold, only trade it OB for OB. Also trade luxuries for luxuries or if not possible, trade it for 150 gold or 7 GPT, or whatever you feel comfortable with. Alot of the game's easiness comes from all that extra gold you can steal from the AI, so handicapping yourself will make it more challenging and rewarding.

15. Juanholio

Juanholio Warlord

Lots of food for thought, thanks. I don't mind being behind in the game. I certainly found that getting the hang of emperor.

Going back to one of my original points: do you immortal fans build up extra armies to cope with what seem to be much larger AI armies? One of the things which puts me off is I find wars, even with city states, can be protracted and dull due to the sheer number of units they seem to have.

Even CS seem to have twice the number of standing units (or at least they seem to appear earlier in the game).

16. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

As other said: It is tricky.

Emperor is quite easy for me and I win about 99% of the time without any real trouble.
    But the significant AI advantages on immortal render any lower difficulty strategy moot and force me to adopt a vastly different playstyle I do not like.

So, I would advise: If you find emperor easy to win, try out different strategies. :)
    If you really have to try immortal, play on an island-like map setting. This will slow the AI down significantly and makes early DOW much less likely.

17. Slvynn

Slvynn Duke Vector fon Pixel

I actually do love this game for seeing Monty near me screaming "Shimicocon! Shimicocon!" Just after i researched 2-3 techs. I have real luck for him, seems such bond empowered my immunity for early rushes :D