1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Immortal Rex

Discussion in 'Civ4 Strategy Articles' started by Bevo666, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Bevo666

Bevo666 Chieftain

I previously had not given much credance to the REX strategy, but I recently started trying to optimize it for my game play. I started on Emperor, and found it to be way too easy using the strategy I came up with to improve my REX strategy.

I have now been playing on Immortal and found that while I lagged behind for a while in tech I am now catching up, and about to own my own continent.

The way I have been playing is with either George Washington or Catherine. I establish my first city, and immediately start going for bronze working and a worker unless I can build a fast warrior in time to get a worker out at the same time as bronze. Once I can chop I get a settler out and get the first nearby copper resource. Make sure you get the wheel next as this will help with linking up the copper.

With the copper resource I start churing out workers, settlers and axemen. Once I have settled the nearby territory, and have a good number of workers I start churning out barracks and axemen. While this was going on you should have been exploring with what ever unit you have to explore with. I love the Russians because of their scout. You will need to target the closest civ to you.

Once I have the wheel and either fishing or agriculture, as the map dictates, I immediately go for pottery. This is the crux of the strategy I have. So you go bronze working->wheel->agriculture or fishing->pottery. This is so that all those workers can put down cottages to help finance your expansion. The workers should also improve the captured cities with cottages asap to allow you to come to atleast even at 10% research. They should be coming into the captured cities even while you are at war just make sure to guard them well. After pottery I usually get iron working or husbandry depending on my needs.

You have to keep expanding this way by capturing cities and operating in a deficit for a while. This will allow you to keep your research up to a certain extent. Once you capture/settle ~10-15 cities you should have around 15-20 workers tons of axemen and be building cottages as fast as you can. You should also have captured a number of happiness resources allowing your cities to expand. You have to make sure in this expansion to budget your loot. If you leave your research too high you will run out of money and your units will strike before you are ready. Make sure at the end of your conquest you have enough to last for ~20-30 rounds of researching. This will allow your population and towns to expand and take up the slack. Prioritize putting towns on rivers because the have a bonus to start with on the financial boost. You will find that your empire will start to sky rocket fairly quickly.

I generally go straight for commerce and courthouses at this point. I then use the forests I left for these improvements to chop rush them. This is a huge boost to your empire at this point so make sure you save enough trees for them.

Once my research starts edging into the 60% range I start building up my army again with catapults and aim for knights by the time I have a sizable number of catapults. Make sure you keep building your improvements even during war time and get banking asap to fund your armies.

All in all I find the rex strategy to work best when done in spurts. I will have a burst of expansion fueled by war followed by a building up period. You will find that the build up time will decrease as the game progresses, since well established towns you capture will pay for themselves much more readily than the ones you captured in the early part of the game. Just remember to be aggressive early and often in the higher levels, and you seem to do fairly well. You just have to make sure you don't expand beyond what you can handle though. I have gotten better at judging this point over the last few games I have played.

P.S. You need to try and have a friend on the continent until you meet the other civs. This way if they like you enough you might be able to get a gift tech even on the higher levels, and have someone to trade with. Once you have the other civ contacts though feel free to start plotting their down falls and befriend the other civs. In the later part of the game I find that my strategy differs so much from game to game depending on situation that I won't go into it. I will say though with a large city lead the computers bonuses are more than compensated for.

I hope this has been helpful, and I would appreciate any comments or suggestions to improve this.

Oh and Kyle if you are reading this remember "America needs riflemen" atleast that's according to a guy at the gun range. I wonder if he meant in the game...probably not.

2. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Chieftain

My comment: you did a good job of identifying those features of the game that are imbalanced and should be adjusted. Excessive yield from chopping (and using chopping to generate more workers so you can chop faster), cottages that are too good, and AI civs that don't defend intelligently against axemen rushes, are three points that have been repeatedly raised in these forums.

3. Bevo666

Bevo666 Chieftain

I only chop rush the first few axemen, settlers, and workers. After that I am saving my forests for later improvements (ie markets/courts). At that point using 5 or more cities pumping out an axeman every 5-6 turns thanks to improvements is enough to keep your war machine rolling. This accelerates as you get more cities. I will also set cities with happiness caps to making some workers to fuel my worker rush. So I don't use excessive chopping in the early game. I mainly use those forests mid game for a improvements or if I must have a unit quickly ( ie barbarian/ai defense).

As for cottages...I think they are okay. In the early game the ones on the rivers are only that good due to it being on a river with a finacial leader. I also think they are balanced enough considering the AI seems to use them as much if not more than the human player. I would only consider it unbalanced if the AI had less of a bonus with them.

Also the AI was doing a decent job of protecting against my axemen, until I destroyed his iron and copper mines. I love that the AI posts a guard on top of the iron mines even when I can't see them. Hmm...that axeman seems to really want to guard that unimportant mine for some reason. Sack it...oh no more axemen or swordsmen either...YEAH!!!

4. maltz

maltz Chieftain

Axeman / horse archer rush is probably the only way I can win on Immortal and Deity, with other AIs on the same continent. The AIs produce settlers like no tomorrow... :D without some coast lines / other AIs / our axes to restrict their growth, I don't see how we can overgrow the AIs...

5. {UK}Kila$

{UK}Kila$ Chieftain

I like the look if this strategy and pretty much feel that this if the best method for building a good start. How do you pitch yourselves with Wonders and Religion in this strategy though ?

6. Grimz101

Grimz101 Chieftain

capture wonders, and normally found confusisum, or you can capture one of the religons easy

7. Bevo666

Bevo666 Chieftain

I usually don't get early wonders. If I have stone I might get the pyramids, but only after I have pottery. I usually get my religions by stealing them from my conquered enemies. If I can I will get confucionism or taoism, but this is after getting my empire in order. That is iffy though since the AI might get them before you. If it looks like the AI has the preqs then don't try they will beat you to them this early in the game.

The wonders I really try to get are the kremlin when I can, and the space elevator. Even if you don't want a space race victory getting the elevator makes it easier to control the computer. Otherwise the darn computer builds parts in something like 6 turns. That makes it pretty hard to destroy their production since you only have 6 turns for your spies to work with. Three Gorges Dam is pretty useful too. At this point in the game if you leave your science slider on 0 for a couple of turns you should be able to get the more useful wonders. The Kremlin is wonderful for using money to speed your city devolpment with. I usually try to get ~100 gold per turn to do this. Spies are extremely useful. So, don't underestimate their power. There have been a number of games where I have won simply because I had those spies wrecking the computers tries at making a spaceship.

8. {UK}Kila$

{UK}Kila$ Chieftain

What about food? I have noticed that if a city has a pure cottage outline , once it gets to about 15 population it struggles to get any higher. Are there any ways around this ?

9. Bevo666

Bevo666 Chieftain

I never said to do cottage spamming. That won't work. I am just saying the first improvements to terrain should be cottages so you can start getting some money. Then you can put in the farms you need either later or as needed to increase population. It won't be a problem for a while though your population is capped at this point by happiness. That is later in the game, and what I wrote is mainly for the early game play. Also this strategy works better on the longer game settings.

10. Brave Jay

Brave Jay Chieftain

I'm gonna use this strategy. So far i have come close to several victories on noble. Each time china seems to edge me out. Anyway, i think its partly because i have not been so aggressive in the early game that i fall behind. thanks again for a good solid, yet simple enough for me, strat.

11. Wreck

Wreck Chieftain

Kila, if your city is 15 cottages then it's mighty profitable even without going to up 20.

But no, you shouldn't have a "pure" cottage city, anywhere at pop 15, unless it has 5 "junk" tiles (desert, mountains, ocean). Instead irrigate a tile or two, getting 3 or 4F from it. When your growth is limited due to happiness/health, put the pop on cottages and the city will not grow. When the pop limit rises, switch pop onto the irrigated tiles to grow as fast as possible up to the new limit. Then put them back on the cottages.

Once you get near to working all the non-junk terrain in the city, then you can convert the irrigated tiles over to cottages or mines. Growing the last point or two of pop may be very slow, but there's rarely any good reason that it should be particularly slow before that.

12. Hue_Gego

Hue_Gego Chieftain

When I try REX as described above I end up with no cash and little research. Sometimes I scrape as far as code of laws and my economy recovers, otherwise it takes ages.

Maybe I've been unlucky with maps I tend to play on standard, continents and only on Prince (I'd like to move up to Monarch which is why I'm experimenting). The last couple of games my nearest neighbour has been 15 or more tiles away. Despite copper very near and what seems like a reasonable start taking these cities has shafted my economy. I tend to go worker, worker (if plenty of trees), settler. I quickly progress to 4 cities each city 2 and 3 performing worker, settler chops. Otherwise my cities are barracks, axeman, axeman, axeman... Typically part way through this military build up I discover iron working. When I have 5 axemen I set out for my nearest rival.

Nearly every time I've tried this if I don't make code of laws my economy is in ruins. I've started delaying my conquest until I'm certain to get code of laws before my economy goes south (typically a delay of 10 turns or so to ensure I get it). Maybe I should delay iron working until my first war is over but I find it's usefull if the war goes badly.

Any advice?

13. uberfish

uberfish Immortal

If computer civs are distant and your local terrain is good, then Axe rushing is a poor strategy and you should spend the ancient era expanding peacefully instead.

If computer civs are distant but your local terrain is bad enough that you want to move, then pump units off two cities only to start with and move your palace to somewhere more central to your new conquests ASAP, this will save you a LOT of money.

14. acidsatyr

acidsatyr be water my friend...

The rex is what I do in all my games really. I never build more than two cities myself, after that get bronze and conquer another few cities. Only difference is that I dont really keep all cities and my economy is up much faster. That is way better than having 15 cities before CoL, especially if you don't play fin. civ.

15. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

trouble with destroying cities is the AI is fast to rebuild cities elsewhere. if you capture it restricts the other AI getting stronger through expansion.

16. Codeman

Codeman Chieftain

i don't like to raze a city that is ready made, developed... although some need razing.