1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Immortal/Standard/Normal 1670AD Space Win in HoF Rejection Shocker!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by NihilZero, Apr 10, 2014.

1. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

Hey there personages. I stand before you a broken man, bereft, and crushed. :lol:

It all started when I played a game, with Wang, and got to space in 1750. I checked the HoF and noted with some surprise that the best time for Immortal/Standard/Normal is 1800. I have no idea why nobody has bothered to post better times, but I thought it might be a chuckle to install the HoF mod and see if I couldn't beat it. Oh, how naive I was...:p

So anyways, after a runaway Zara ruined my first attempt (and I accidentally went over the Dom threshold in killing him), I did have another try and sure enough logged a 1670AD win, exceeding my hopes by a wide margin.

As an aside, I have no idea why Immortal/Normal/Standard space wins are essentially unexplored in the HoF, but I have always played on these settings, and even a player of my mediocre abilities can put up launch times in the 1600s.

It kinda sucked, then, when my submission was rejected. Apparently I reloaded. Well, as far as I understand it, I most certainly did not.

The reason I raise this issue is not to be a pain in the ass, and frankly it's not a big deal as I can presumably replicate the result (or at least come close) without too much trouble. But before I embark on that (and it did take some effort to try to play at a high standard to avoid mistakes on my brutally laggy machine) I want to be absolutely clear, beyond a shadow of a doubt, as to what it was that I did wrong so I can avoid it next time.

Thanks. :)

Btw, if there is any interest I can post a walkthrough as to how I did it. Pretty simple stuff, it's not rocket science (well, there was some rocket science involved ;)).

2. Skipity

Skipity Chieftain

I've had this happen as well in games where I never even closed the game, let alone reloaded and it was rejected.

I did, however, reopen the innitial save to verify which one it was after I had won (searching a list of 40 mapfinder saves) and resaved that save as "HOF blah blah". The only other thing I can think of is a warrior mover on turn 1 that was reloaded when browsing which map to play.

Generally, though, they do a great job here of reviewing the saves. And yes, there are quite a few "low hanging fruits" in the hall of fame.

3. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

Um, that's a little worrying. I was actually toying with the idea of trying not to save at all in my next attempt and just running civ round the clock for a week. Sucks if there's a powercut, but at least nobody can accuse you of cheating. :p

I'm dying to get started on another attempt, but it's hard to commit to playing in earnest when I have no guarantees that the fickle HoF mod won't arbitrarily freak out and undo my hours of work...:sad:

4. TheSunIsDark

TheSunIsDark Settled Great Scientist

Don't open saves more than once. If you use the mapfinder, save at 4000 BC. I don't know if an appeal would work...

5. Skipity

Skipity Chieftain

It's rare that something like that happens. Only happened once for me when I was sure I didn't reload at all.

Moreover, it's still worth playing with the HoF mod just to remove that reloading temptation. Makes it more of an Ironman type of game and not a savescum game.

6. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

Yes! I really had a lot of fun playing this game because I had to focus, knowing that I couldn't redo anything. It added some real freshness to the whole civ experience. A lot of the time I play in a lackadaisical, sloppy way. The HoF mod prevents that, and it's definitely a good thing. :D

I opened each save exactly once. Otherwise, what would be the point of playing a fifteen hour game, only to invalidate it? That would be an exercise in utter futility. I didn't use mapfinder either.:dunno:

7. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

@NihilZero, we don't publically discuss game exclusions. Please use the hof.civfanatics@gmail.com e-mail account for this kind of thing. We are always willing to put another pair of eyes on a game, if the player has an issue. (Note: I have reviewed your game and I agree with the decision to exclude it.)

The e-mail you received contained common pitfalls that can result in an exclusion for reloading and replaying. There are also some suggestions to prevent it from happening again:

We are only interested in whether any given game meets the HOF Standards as defined in the HOF Rules. We don't publically shame or send angry e-mails to someone who might have just made an honest mistake. We assess the game. If we can't accept it, we send an e-mail with a reason. (Note: we don't provide exact details to avoid revealing too much information that could be used to circumvent our methods.)

Remember the Golden Rule, folks. Don't make me close this thread.

8. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

Okay Denniz, that seems reasonable. I did reply to the email I got before I started this thread. Still awaiting an answer...

I have no problems with this being discussed openly as I am still very much in the dark here as to how I broke the rules. My only motive for starting the thread is to try to understand how it was I invalidated my game, nothing more. ;)

Guess I'll just sit tight and wait for an answer to my email, wherein it would be very cool if it could be explained how I reloaded. Then I can avoid making the same mistake next time.

Cheers! :)

9. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

I don't have any problem opening any old save along the way to 'look around', so it is allowed, but you have to be careful, so maybe just avoid that.

The best thing to do is use 'save on exit' like the staff recommends.
    Always only ever open the last one that was saved on exit and you will be fine.