Immortal too comfortable, Deity too soul-crushing - help with "Demigod"

LukaSlovenia29

Emperor
Hi!

I'd like the community's help in adjusting the difficulty settings through the Difficulty.xml file to set up a level between Immortal and Deity. I think in Civ3 it was called Demigod, so I'll go with that. I'll just change the numbers for Deity in the Difficulty.xml file , I won't actually create a modmod with a new difficulty setting.

So I'd like your advice on how to change the numbers, if anyone's been tinkering with that. @Owlbebach , you mentioned in your current America playthrough that you modified the numbers, could you perhaps share them with me?

Thanks to all!

I agree, Elliot, I proposed a while ago to Gazebo to take out settler and readjust the difficulty settings to have a difficulty level between the current Immortal and Deity, but IIRC he said that there's a large number of people playing settler, so it's a no-go.

What do you think about Owlbebach's numbers? He changed the A, B & C difficulty bonus numbers from 80-150-300 to 70-120-240.

I honestly think a modmod or just default setting might make sense. Who plays settler?
More people that what you think. But they usually don't pass time on this forum.
(And I guess most of them would improve significantly by reading some of the post of the strategy section, but we can't expect everybody to be involved enough in civilization to look activelly for advices)

As a first approximation, you could set the values in the xml to the mean of the immortal and deity values. You can then play the game a bit and decide to tweak them further based on what happens. As a King player who finds Emperor annoying, that's what I did with what I used to call Emperor- difficulty. I like your demigod name though, I think I'll rename my custom difficulty to Prime Minister.

I honestly think a modmod or just default setting might make sense. Who plays settler?

If you do that, will you not end up with some settler settings? For example, in the unmodded game, base happiness was not exposed in the xml file. Are all the difficulty settings available to be changed, maybe some are hard-coded.

Well then we should add a 9th difficulty level, move deity there and add Demigod. I think I remember a vanilla mod that added more levels, so it should be pretty easy. (Unless I'm misremembering.)

Well then we should add a 9th difficulty level, move deity there and add Demigod. I think I remember a vanilla mod that added more levels, so it should be pretty easy. (Unless I'm misremembering.)

What you need is a civ with no trait, no UU, no UB, nothing. Just handicaps (less hapiness, less gold, less unit cap, less XP, less everything)
Should be not so complicated to code. "The Less Than Nothing Civ"

Some maps with not enough ressource could fit your extrordinary level.
Even hard setting with RAS could do it

People at every difficulty level complain that their current level is too easy and the next one too hard; the solution really is to improve instead of seeking band-aids.

(I say as I roll through Immortal and get crushed on Deity...)

Probably difficulty can be spread more evenly among the 8 difficulty levels. Right now, IIRC, there is an integeer scaler for AI handicaps. Had this scaler be a float number, it could be fine tuned. In a way that Settler and Deity difficulty remains the same, while the other difficulties 'feel' evenly stronger. If that is what you are looking for.

Probably difficulty can be spread more evenly among the 8 difficulty levels. Right now, IIRC, there is an integeer scaler for AI handicaps. Had this scaler be a float number, it could be fine tuned. In a way that Settler and Deity difficulty remains the same, while the other difficulties 'feel' evenly stronger. If that is what you are looking for.

It is a 'float.' since it is in the 100s.

G

You can try taking Deity and giving your civ a few advantages via the advanced options. Or making immortal harder using advanced options (for example play aztec but turn on chill barbarians)

I would play a mod with more difficulties.

Id say turn off espionage on immortal, I am sure that will kick the difficulty up a notch

You can try taking Deity and giving your civ a few advantages via the advanced options. Or making immortal harder using advanced options (for example play aztec but turn on chill barbarians)
It is so hard! I believe difficulty.xml is really everything that we need. Seriously this is such an easy and powerful tool to adjust stuff!

Well, then it shouldn't be so difficult to modify the difficulty scaler. If Immortal is currently 700 and Deity is 800, people here are asking for Immortal to be 750. I guess Emperor should rise too to 630-640.
I think there are people who think every level is good. Let's not change any existing level. If Immortal is 700 and Deity is 800 that's fine, but I don't want to do a ton of work-arounds to play at 750. @Gazebo would it be relatively easy to add a new "8 - Demigod" and move Deity to "9 = Deity"?

This is because I feel like the best a human can do is slightly above Deity right now. I know that with a mixture of luck and great skill I can win Deity, but sometimes I want a break. However immortal is too much of a break, and feels easy even with weak civs.

I think there are people who think every level is good. Let's not change any existing level. If Immortal is 700 and Deity is 800 that's fine, but I don't want to do a ton of work-arounds to play at 750. @Gazebo would it be relatively easy to add a new "8 - Demigod" and move Deity to "9 = Deity"?

This is because I feel like the best a human can do is slightly above Deity right now. I know that with a mixture of luck and great skill I can win Deity, but sometimes I want a break. However immortal is too much of a break, and feels easy even with weak civs.

You can just copy the XML for Deity, paste it above Deity, and rename it. Change that value and presto. We've had issues in the past with EUI's caching not updating for difficulties, but I haven't checked in a while.

G

Top Bottom