1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Immortal University 67 - Stalin

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Habitus, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Habitus

Habitus Chieftain

Greetings, Immortals and would-be Immortals (and indeed any other players of any level), and welcome to the Immortal University.

Here is our Leader:

Here's the opening scene:

First Map rolled with the following settings:

Have fun all

Attached Files:

2. Habitus

Habitus Chieftain

So, 2N tech AH for Sheep + Pigs and a 2:hammers: city tile losing fresh water and 1 turn, or settle in place?

2S is unforested and with all the forest around them looks like it could be a resource, as does 1N for same reason, 1N is kept and 2S could be picked up with second city.

The snow covered forest to north means were in the north part of map and i can spy tundra in the NW corner were the plains hill is, so our settling looks to be main to south (maybe 1 city to north if anything nice around sheep if we settle in place).

Anyone see anything else from starting SS?

3. Knightly_

Knightly_ Chieftain

There is no forest SE/SE :). 1S -> settling towards AIs is likely, worst case costs you two hills (3H plains forest hills and 1E of pigs). 1SE keeps one of those hills but worst case you lose a lot of forests for early chops. Man the scout is in such a terrible position... well i would gamble and go 1SE.

Whats it with the mapscript? Terra maps are pretty big arent they? Is there something like an old/new world feature?

Knightly_

edit:typo

4. Habitus

Habitus Chieftain

Yeah its all civs in old world, with a new world reachable over ocean, often have islands that can be galley reachable thou just as often blocked off by too much ocean. Old world is often around 75% size of a pangea, with new world about half the size of a pangea. Often chock points as well to block off land so scouting to see if anything like that is somewhat important.

Makes Domination abit harder due to the extra land, good spot on the 2SE :) Yeah, I didn't talk about scout at all as its just no help at all for deciding on where to settle. 1SE looks interesting, as makes a couple of cities to north more likely, if AIs are close that could be important.

5. Tempesta13

Tempesta13 Chieftain

6. JammerUno

JammerUno Chieftain

Terra is terrible, the mapsizes are one size larger, and it usually blocks earlier domination and conquest victories.

7. Habitus

Habitus Chieftain

Domination yes, Conquest not really, bigger map and more land but most of the extra land is in the new world and so doesn't affect Early Conquest victories (post Astronomy isn't early :) )

8. obsolete

obsolete Chieftain

I never heard any good things about Terra, but let's see...

9. vranasm

vranasm Chieftain

as I got it, terra is considered Pangea in disguise by some

10. mtr12

mtr12 Chieftain

Will play on Emperor/Normal once midterms are over.

Does IMM as a default level mean that the AI starts with an extra Settler?

As for Terra, well, the way I see it is that it's basically Pangaea with all the civs crammed together.

11. Habitus

Habitus Chieftain

No, only Deity starts with an extra Settler, iirc Emp - Imm is basically an extra Archer + Agri + possible a worker (i think Emp gets the worker anyway)

12. kossin

kossin Chieftain

Emperor: units
    Immortal: units+worker
    Deity: units+worker+settler

13. Habitus

Habitus Chieftain

Thanks kossin :) after my sgotm turnset, game 6 of the challenger, and probably the botm I'll play this one :)

14. obsolete

obsolete Chieftain

Time to quit while ahead...

Spoiler :

15. GenerallyGreat

GenerallyGreat Chieftain

I'm going to look at a few terra maps to check this out. Is scout to pigs a good move?

16. GenerallyGreat

GenerallyGreat Chieftain

Looks like the script is a bit bigger than a usual pangea with civs nearly always being within close range of the coast to allow access to the new world I guess. It also seems to have sloppy spacing for that reason. I hope we don't have someone like Jao or the alien with room for 18 cites.

17. PeteJ

PeteJ Chieftain

125 ad:

Spoiler :

I SIPed here after spotting the second pig and went AH>wheel>BW>Ag>pottery>writing. I decided not to go for any early wonders and instead focused on expanding. I picked up some pyramids fail gold to help get my economy rolling again. I ended up building TGL and the Parthenon, as well as grabbing some SoZ fail gold. I currently also have the Shwedagon Paya almost completely built in 2 different cities. Diplo wise, I gifted Genghis a city early in the game to help keep him from attacking me. I currently have the whole world at war with each other so I'm free to go for lib. My next move is to win music, tech COL, bulb philo, then start a golden age and farm some more scientists to bulb towards lib. I'll probably go the MT route since I have horses and I already have music. Taj Mahal would be nice as well.

Some screenshots:

East:
    Spoiler :

West:
    Spoiler :

Tech:
    Spoiler :

This game has been a bloodbath since I picked up alphabet:
    Spoiler :

Attached Files:

18. mtr12

mtr12 Chieftain

Spoiler :
    How did Genghis capture Yerkaterinburg, but is Pleased with you (so I'm assuming no war happened)?

19. PeteJ

PeteJ Chieftain

Spoiler :
    It was a gift city. I placed it before I knew iron working.

20. PeteJ

PeteJ Chieftain

1665ad conquest
    Spoiler :

After winning music, I went for CS then headed for lib. After bulbing philo and building the MoM, I used a golden age to farm a bunch of scientists. I ended up bulbing education, printing press, and chemistry. I grabbed MT with lib in 760ad and declared on justinian in 1060ad. After vassaling him I upgraded a bunch of curs into cossacks and went after the rest of the continent starting with Genghis.

Spoiler :

Attached Files: