Immortal University 99 - Genghis Khan

Izuul

Level 86
Greetings, Immortals and would-be Immortals (and indeed any other players of any level), and welcome to the Immortal University.

Here is our Leader:

Here's the opening scene:

The following settings were used to create this map:

And the Demographics for people to spot any info they can:

Before we start, here's the bit where I get to pretend that I'm Klonoklown pretending to be TMIT:

To play, just extract the WB save file into your worldbuilder saves directory, then play it. Use custom scenario if you want some extra settings to tickle your fancy. This series was designed for people learning immortal, so most people here will be at that level or trying to attain it, although players of other levels are welcome also. The intention of this game series is to get better, so play whatever level you need in order to improve.

Don't forget to add the appropriate Barbarian starting techs for your difficulty level in the worldbuilder. If you need instructions for this check out the first post in any of the Noble's Club game threads.

Please use spoilers when revealing any map information that can not be gleaned from the opening screen shot. When giving an update please also put a date or some rough indication of your progress above your spoiler so that other players know whether or not it is safe to read your post.

There is also an initial Immortal/Normal autosave which is much more convenient since you can avoid all the worldbuilder shenanigans.

Unfortunately I cannot guarantee that any of this will work properly because I'm a complete noob at hosting. Cross your fingers....

Attachments

• IU 99 - Genghis.rar
    51.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IU 99 - Genghis BC-4000 Immortal.CivBeyondSwordSave
    30 KB · Views: 121
This is the first map that i rolled. Nothing was cooked, and i didn't check for balance b/c i wanted to play the map too. You get what you get :)

Hopefully all of the saves are correct because I've never edited worldbuilder files prior to today.

Well, first thought is to move the scout to the coast to check if there is any seafood that would be made unusable by SIP.

How i hate starts with such pityfull rivers :lol: I like them better with no river at all, if I'm not sure if cottages might be of any use.
Probably try this one with HBR approach.

€: Why always Ghenkis Sucking Khan? Kublai ftw!

Mongolia has easy way to animal husbandry as they start with hunting, so 2 pastures should be worked from the very beggining, giving tons of food. This opens way straight to early keshiks,

Played this to 1240BC.

Spoiler :
Plenty of land to settle into and no nearly AI civs. A keshik rush against Ragnar is tempting but only because it's Ragnar. Zara had Alpha long before I even got to writing, but let's face it, Genghis isn't exactly known as an economic powerhouse.

Exellent!! Will play this, thanks Izuul! I'll check some of your txt edit files so you can be sure that they're fine. Timing for Tšingis Khan game couldn't be better!! I just finished reading the 2nd part of Conn Igguldens Conqueror- series! Its one of the best book-series that I've ever read. Story about how did a man who was the poorest of the poor became the khan (king) of the most powerful empire ever made. Read it. You won't regret. Tšingis is my hero!! My favourite leader with Toku and JC hisorically.

surrounding land is absolutely brutal. This is a very strange pangea.

Spoiler :
Agreed. Given that's it's Genghis, I wish the AI civs were closer so I could rush somebody for their land. I haven't figured out the best way to play this map yet.

Spoiler :
None of the settle-able land is any good. There are zero commerce tiles, let alone a single river. Only Ragnar, one of the biggest unit spammers, is within HA rush distance. If his land isn't amazing I don't see how to keep Genghis afloat financially. There is lots of coast so the GLH is an option but the capital is not coastal and that would preclude HA rushing Ragnar.

Strangely enough with marble nearby it would just be easiest to go for culture. With Genghis? Blech...

Spoiler :
The land to the west is really poor, but there's a couple of ok spots to the east. Lack of commerce means Lib is unlikely...HA rush unlikely unless Ragnar's land has some serious commerce tiles to cover the maintenance costs. Maybe trade the Marble for Stone for the Mids? If Ragnar builds the Mids then I'm going to smash him with everything I've got.

Re GLH...There's seafood but it's really awkward. But GLH city-spam is a good an idea as any I guess.

That's a pretty nice start. I hope there's a big wuss nearby that we can bully around with Keshiks.

Well, first thought is to move the scout to the coast to check if there is any seafood that would be made unusable by SIP.

4 tiles could have seafood that would be wasted with SIP. It does seem like a low number to me.
The scout won't scout further south on T1: most likely it will head North. So scouting south first seems like a waste to me.

SIP is very likely, here. Maybe settling 1N is ok (faster worker, faster improvements, losing 6 yield tile). Therefore, I'd send the scout 2N to check the 2 plains hills. Maybe one of them has gold, which would warrant settling on the cows or even further north.

In the absence of available commerce specials, one of Pottery/Writing should probably be prioritized. If one doesn't, then a Priesthood almost-beeline is compulsory.
Trees indicate southern hemisphere, by the way.

Immortal 175 ad
Spoiler :

Went 4 close citys-> keshik rush, since research was a problem in the beginning i didn't want more citys that cost money, although there was obv enough room for 10 citys^^

Raggy just left the map. He had metal in 2 spots so it was a bloody mess, but immortal ais just don't build enough troops. On Deity i would have lost probably.

Economy is in bad shape, i would like to just crush justinian since i just got some catas and phants in addition to my leftovers from the keshik rush, but i need to recover i fear.

20 cities at 1460 AD:

Spoiler :
Expanded to 6 cities and Cataphant rushed Ragnar. He capped late to Justinian so I took my stack into Byzantium and was able to barely take out Justin's main stack with my mostly-wounded phants and pults. Sued for peace to recover then re-opened the war and took my time finishing him off. Tech pace was slow but didn't need tech as I was popping CR3 cats in my HE city and later the same out of Constantinople. Didn't get Feudalism till ~1100 AD. Diplo is pleased/friendly with everyone else. Could do any number of things from here.

Attachments

• IU 99 - Genghis AD-1460.CivBeyondSwordSave
    296.7 KB · Views: 31
Since I've recently outgrown emperor difficulty I thought about trying this out on immortal...

The start
Spoiler :

Settling in place seems like the best course of action since moving the scout to the shore didn't reveal anything of interest.

3000BC
Spoiler :

The immediate surroundings reveals horses and an additional site tailored towards production which makes me consider rushing Keshiks.

Tech pattern is: AH-> Agriculture-> Pottery-> HBR

725BC
Spoiler :

Well, hello there...

1AD
Spoiler :

1T from vanquishing Ragnar, Zara declares on me out of the blue. I easily repell his forces however.

Having bulbed philosophy I'm thinking about switching into Judaism, caste system and pacifism to get some tech going, while moving my capitol to Nidaros, which is an excellent bureaucracy site, while building courthouses elsewhere.

Byzantine worries me more than anything having already settled 13 cities uncontested. Dunno what to do about that.

1840AD (Diplomatic Victory)
Spoiler :

Obviously a lot of things happened and I forgot to screen shot the process but in a nutshell I had to go to war with Justinian. Eventually he became my vassal and then I proceeded to vassal Charlie and Zara in quick succession. Washington was vassaled to Hatty which ended my warring session. Hatty was going cultural (with a tech advantage over me), so I decided to make peace with her in order to draft a large but inferior army which managed to capture one of Hatty's cultural cities only a few turns before going legendary. I would have crushed Egypt eventually but UN gave me a chance to win by quicker means so I just went for that instead, lulz.

This was only my second game on immortal and I'm glad I managed to squeeze a win out of that. Other than that the map felt less than ideal for a leader such as Djingis. But I had great fun playing it :)

"Before we start, here's the bit where I get to pretend that I'm Klonoklown pretending to be TMIT:"

:D

Yeah with phants near, I would also much rather elepult on someone, than do the very fragile Keshik rush, that has such a small window of opportunity. Elepult, however, can be enough to win the entire map with the right precondition and careful execution.

Also, Xunin, i would consider settling the phant site on the PHs... I prefer building/chopping a monument over not having an extra hammer forever. Also, it has one more green river tile...

Spoiler :
None of the settle-able land is any good. There are zero commerce tiles, let alone a single river. Only Ragnar, one of the biggest unit spammers, is within HA rush distance. If his land isn't amazing I don't see how to keep Genghis afloat financially. There is lots of coast so the GLH is an option but the capital is not coastal and that would preclude HA rushing Ragnar.

Strangely enough with marble nearby it would just be easiest to go for culture. With Genghis? Blech...

Spoiler :
4 cottage tiles in the capital should allow us to reach Construction and (if not tradable) HBR, shouldn't it? Then re-locate the capital to a better spot... If there isn't any, this is not gonna be winnable on Deity or even Immortal via aggression, from what I read about the neighbors

Just hate when you get an aggressive crap leader, lots of land and food but 0 commerce.
So hard to get anywhere as maintenance goes through the roof in no time :(

Top Bottom