Immortal University IV pre-discussion

I know some of you are still playing the Louis game, so we will wait with the next university thread, but in the mean-time, any preference for the next leader and map?

For the next game I think I would like to try a philosophical leader. We haven't had one in the university yet. I would rule out Elizabeth and Gandhi, as they have a 2nd very strong trait. I would also rule out Pericles, as we have already had 2 creative leaders in the past 2 games.

That leaves us with (in order of preference):
Sitting Bull (Protective, UB: totem pole, UU: dog soldier)
Alex (Aggressive UB:Odeon, UU: phalanx) ,
Suleiman (Imperialistic UB:Hammam UU:Janissary)
Peter (Expansive UB: Research Inst UU:Cossak),
Lincoln (Charismatic UB:Mall, UU:Navy Seal),
Frederick (Organized UB:Assembly plant UU: panzer).

I prefer continents or hemispheres map this time, since in all previous maps we have had very early contact with all AIs. I like the fact that optics and astronomy are major "ages" in the game.

I would be fine with other choices though. I am just stating my preferences.

If you want to join the next University Thread, please post your preference here:
1) Leader (can be more than 1)
2) Map
3) Starting date for the game

Sitting Bull or Suleiman.

Alex is currently available in PLCII, and Lincoln is coming up soon in ALC 23(?).

Is Fred still Phi/Org? That's not a bad trait combination...

I'm not too fussed about the leader for this one; I'd probably be able to start in a week or so.

Yes! Finally a philosophical leader! :D

1) Peter all the way!!

2) Continents/hemispheres are both fine for a change.

3) Any time, I just finished a university assignment, so I'm ready and cived up.

Anyone but Lincoln is fine since that's coming up in the next ALC.
I tried to find the Immortal Monty thread since I just finished that game, 30 hrs and 35 minutes in total spent. I couldn't find it, has it been removed?

Anyone but Lincoln is fine since that's coming up in the next ALC.
I tried to find the Immortal Monty thread since I just finished that game, 30 hrs and 35 minutes in total spent. I couldn't find it, has it been removed?

The thread is on page 4 under the Immortal University it doesn't mention Monty.

As for leaders I would like to see Fred or Peter. Map type Hemispheres as I haven't played that one yet. Usually stick to Fractal.

Nice a philosophical leader, they're all fine as far as i'm concerned. What's the difference between continents and hemispheres? Still playing Louis, domination attempt has advanced to 1800 and is going fairly well. But i might play this game in between as it takes enormous amounts of time positioning and moving ships.

I'm in--I think I'm finished with the other game--I'm not much for playing out the back end (I'll post up spoiler soon).

I would vote against Lincoln just because I think charismatic is another top-tier trait but the rest are fine.

Yes! Finally a philosophical leader! :D

How would you best utilize a philosophical leader? In most games I usually get most great people from one city (NE city, and if I can I build GL there).
Would you just play the same with a philosophical leader enjoying the bonus and cheap universities, or is there something better to do (alternating great people between 2~3 cities?)

Also, what are good uses for a cossack? Since I don't assume we will go for a cavalry vs. rifles war on immortal (most strategies seems to rely on gaining a military advantage around rifling/steel/military traditions), the opponent will have at most cuirassiers. How meaningful is the mounted bonus in that case?

How would you best utilize a philosophical leader? In most games I usually get most great people from one city (NE city, and if I can I build GL there).
Would you just play the same with a philosophical leader enjoying the bonus and cheap universities, or is there something better to do (alternating great people between 2~3 cities?)

Also, what are good uses for a cossack? Since I don't assume we will go for a cavalry vs. rifles war on immortal (most strategies seems to rely on gaining a military advantage around rifling/steel/military traditions), the opponent will have at most cuirassiers. How meaningful is the mounted bonus in that case?

You get great people from much more than 1 city with a philosophical. You'll get plenty from every city with some surplus food, you just need to utilise caste system in bursts. Philosophical also makes a transition late game less favourable, you can keep bulbing for a really long time, it's a superb trait for a SE and my complete favourite in the game. All of my most fun games are played with a philosopical leader.

The Great Library is also less of a priority (still great with marble of course) as you'll get a lot of great scientists anyway. Sooner or later your masses of great scientists will want to lightbulb Sci. Method and obsolete the GL, so it's not worth the hammers or detour unless you've got marble imo. You can be more flexible with the tech tree and avoid the usual paths. It's even possible to make a run for the lower half as you'll catch up with the upper in no time. I'm already :drool: thinking about all the coming lightbulbs, they turn me on.

The UB and UU are nothing special; I just like extra health, Peter and cheap granaries! :D

I know some of you are still playing the Louis game, so we will wait with the next university thread, but in the mean-time, any preference for the next leader and map?

For the next game I think I would like to try a philosophical leader. We haven't had one in the university yet. I would rule out Elizabeth and Gandhi, as they have a 2nd very strong trait. I would also rule out Pericles, as we have already had 2 creative leaders in the past 2 games.

That leaves us with (in order of preference):
Sitting Bull (Protective, UB: totem pole, UU: dog soldier)
Alex (Aggressive UB:Odeon, UU: phalanx) ,
Suleiman (Imperialistic UB:Hammam UU:Janissary)
Peter (Expansive UB: Research Inst UU:Cossak),
Lincoln (Charismatic UB:Mall, UU:Navy Seal),
Frederick (Organized UB:Assembly plant UU: panzer).

I prefer continents or hemispheres map this time, since in all previous maps we have had very early contact with all AIs. I like the fact that optics and astronomy are major "ages" in the game.

I would be fine with other choices though. I am just stating my preferences.

If you want to join the next University Thread, please post your preference here:
1) Leader (can be more than 1)
2) Map
3) Starting date for the game

1) I'd prefer Lincoln as I never read the alc's but since so many ppl are against it uhm .. my vote goes to Sulei.

2) If you prefer continents I'm fine with that.

3) I'm still going to be playing Louis for a while. In a week or two?

[offtopic]

Btw Rusten, finish abcf's monty game, I'm curious what you guys make of that.

[offtopic]

Btw Rusten, finish abcf's monty game, I'm curious what you guys make of that.
Planning to do that very soon, perhaps even today or tomorrow. I had a lot of work with university recently so I couldn't continue yet. I'm about to start on the deciding phase so I gotta make sure my mind is set on the game and not a chobo essay ;)

A note about voting:
If you can state preferences (rank the leaders from top to bottom), we can determine which leader is the most liked rather than choose a minority government. This way people will not say they feel like voting for Nader.
#1 Peter
#2 Alex
#3 Suleiman
#4 Frederick
#5 Lincoln

#6 SB

A note about voting:
If you can state preferences (rank the leaders from top to bottom), we can determine which leader is the most liked rather than choose a minority government. This way people will not say they feel like voting for Nader.

I'm still a ways away from finishing Louis (now in the 1500s), but its still fun to think about the next game.

Voting Preference:

1 - Sitting Bull {Pro}
2 - Peter {Exp}
3 - Elizabeth {Fin}
4 - Freddy {Org}
5 - Suleiman {Imp}
6 - Alex {Agg}
7 - Pericles {Cre}
8 - Lincoln {Cha}

I agree its time for a Hemispheres or Continent map.

rolo will you make a scenario so I can play epic? :)

New list in order of preference.

Fred
Peter
Lincoln
SB
Suly
Alex

Map type any.

Start date ASAP :)

Planning to do that very soon, perhaps even today or tomorrow. I had a lot of work with university recently so I couldn't continue yet. I'm about to start on the deciding phase so I gotta make sure my mind is set on the game and not a chobo essay ;)

Cool, was just wondering if you and abcf where planning on finishing that game. Been a while. And amen on playing that when you're mind is free of worries. ;)

A note about voting:

1. Lincoln
2. Suleiman
3. Bull
4. Peter
5. Alex
6. Freddy

ps: What's voting for "nader" :confused:

[offtopic]
ps: What's voting for "nader"
Someone complained about that in the vote for the Louis game. It's an American thing. I think he is an independent candidate for the presidency there that always gets less than 1% of the votes so everyone who votes for him "wastes" their vote. Some people complain that he caused Al Gore to lose against Bush because he caused vote splitting in the left.

In my opinion the most fair voting system is STV (Single transferable vote) implemented in Australia.
Basically you rank the candidates. First you count priority 1 of everyone. If no one has majority, you remove the bottom candidate and count the 2nd priority of those people. If no one still has majority you do the same thing, until someone gets more than 50%.

To think that any vote cast can be "wasted" is to misunderstand the philosophy of democratic government. ;)
Then again it might not be good realpolitik to vote for anyone.

I like continents for this map, hemispheres is a bit predictable.

Top Bottom