Immortal University V - vote for leader and map

So, as Gliese suggested in the last thread, we will try a point system voting this time. Everyone gets 4 votes (4,3,2,1 points respectively) that must go to different leaders.

My thoughts: we have always played with at least 1 "strong" trait so far. I would like to try a more challenging leader.
This means: no creative, no philosophical, no financial, no spiritual, no industrious.
I don't feel ready to play Tokugawa yet, so that leaves us with:

Washington,
Hammurabi,
Boudica,
Mao,
Churchill,
Napoleon,
Charlemagne,
Gengis,
Cyrus,
Shaka,
Joao

Feel free to vote to leaders outside this list if you wish.

My vote:
Joao 4pt,
Boudica 3pt,
Shaka 2 pt
Charles 1 pt.

I have no special map preference, except that I wouldn't go Pangaea with Joao, as I do want to have some use for UU/UB.

Another question: how many immortal university threads would you like to see before we try Deity? I definitely don't feel ready for Deity yet, but I would like to try it at some point. How about 5 more games of immortal?

It wasn't long ago I moved up to immortal and I spent a long time on both monarch and emperor before moving up. Deity being in a league of its own in difficulty would probably be the hardest step yet relative to the others so I'd favour staying on Immortal for some time.

As for leaders, we haven't played with charismatic (which I actually consider the top trait), financial, organized and protective.
Leaving out financial is fine by me.. that leaves Napoleon and Churchill. Both seem pretty good for war, I've never played Churchill so he gets my first vote. Then rounding out the list to increase the chance of great drafting and cuirassiers shennanigans..

1. Churchill
2. Napoleon
3. Cyrus
4. Genghis Khan

I feel bloodthirsty! :mad:

Temujin (4p)
Mao (3p)
Cyrus (2p)
Boudica (1p)

Prefer fractal. I like not knowing what's out there from the start (continents) but rather adapt to what I explore.

For map type I would prefer randommapscript but since it's extra content that might be to much to ask. Basically it's a map script that gives a random map like fractal but contain more possibilities like f.e. hemispheres (and can exclude up to two types by players choice).

So I guess fractal is good.

Shame on you Rusten, making me look at wikipedia just to understand your vote :)

What, are you saying you never played games like Ghengis Khan II back in the day?!

It was an awesome (if not broken) game :lol:. That's how I knew who it was.

I'm still learning emperor and as such got it handed to me in immortal game 1. I'm trying to catch up to you guys, but it looks like I still need more time! I'll not vote as a result, but the advice you guys gave back in IU1 helped me a lot for emperor! I don't know how you do it but I'll learn!

Saying that industrious is stronger than carismatic is just silly... vote: cyrus , boudica, washington, napoleon.

1st - Wang Kon (4pts)
2nd - Mao
3rd - Churchill
4th - Hammurabi (1pt)

^^ No real logic, just leaders I haven't played recently.

Hemispheres (2 continent) is my map preference. Fractal is fine too.

Edit:
oyzar said:
Saying that industrious is stronger than carismatic is just silly.

I couldn't agree more, actually I think Qin (Ind,Pro) is weaker than Toku (Agg,Pro) ...

What, are you saying you never played games like Ghengis Khan II back in the day?!

It was an awesome (if not broken) game . That's how I knew who it was.
No. The ONLY game I play is CIV (seriously)

saying that industrious is stronger than carismatic is just silly... vote: cyrus , boudica, washington, napoleon.
Maybe, I never claimed I am not silly :crazyeye:. Anyway, we already played an industrious leader. Also, industrious is a trait that makes your game very different then non-industrious. It's not necessarily stronger, but it is very dominant in determining the game style.

Cyrus 4 pt
Churchill 3 pt
Washington 2 pt
Nappy 1pt (only because you already had a france game)

even though i flail about horribly on immortal (yay for being a monarch player) losing helps me learn...
about my choices, what can i say i like charismatic, i think its one of the strongest traits going, never underestimate that early +2 happy, esp on higher difficulty levels.

cyrus is tops on my list because of his strong early UU, great for busting barb archers or rushing some poor unsuspecting sucker, imperialistic is also nice for rexing out a bunch of land and its extra GG's and the UB is a nifty little health boost.

nappy would be higher on the list (i like org too), but seeing as you already had a game with france it seems like it would be less of a learning experience than you might be looking for otherwise

I vote for :

4 points : Charlemagne ( I would like to see how i do with the worst leader imo.) Starting tech Hunt/Myst will prove a difficult start

3 points : Tokugawa, Never played and would like to do some massive draft with him :D

2 points: Boudica.... ehm :deadhorse: :cool:

1 point : Cyrus

Prefer Fractal maps.

on higher levels when the happy cap is low, that extra 2 happy can give you two more citizens in every city, effectively increasing your population by 40-50%. plus it becomes more important on immortal (and i hear on deity) to be able to beat your opponent's giant stack with fewer troops, and charismatic is really useful for highly promoted troops.

... and charismatic is really useful for highly promoted troops.

The speed at which promotions are obtained allows for much faster "battlefield healing" as well. With a barracks new troops are 3/4 -- after winning any battle they hit level two. I'll often fight the first battle unpromoted (if the odds are high) and double promote to instantly cure 75% of the damage sustained. You can promote to level two on the same turn as the battle, which is fun.

e.g. When there is one red-lined defender in a city I'll attack with a new 3/4 "longbowman", and promote to CGII that same turn for maximum city defense and healing. A small advantage.

The early happy cap increase can often be translated into "more production" as well :whipped: The +Happy flexibility is what makes it such a strong (early) economic trait, imo.

Finally, if you rely on 1-2 military cities for much of your military production stacking GGs is great in the lategame.

1. Hammurabi
2. Gengis
3. Willem vab Oranje
4. Washington

I prefer the standard map, normal speed.

Bring it! :)

A deity university? The jump from immortal to deity is by far the biggest but I'm willing to give it a go. :) All my attempts at deity have been losses but actually posting the game would force me to concentrate and try a lot harder. :D

Back to the topic my votes go to.

4 Points Boudicca

3 Points Cyrus

2 Points Hammurabi

1 Point Washington

Map type Fractal.

^i'm in for any trait or map on immortal, as for playing on deity, i'll probably go this way in the near future, there reall are immortal starts that are hard to win but these are specialized situations, for instance Zulu's and Aztecs nearby on a map where you don't have too much room for expanding anyway. Most of the time it isn't so bad though and then i tend to fancy my chances on immortal.

I don't think it's a good idea though to raise the immortal thread to deity, better to have 2 separate threads or for instance to join ABigCivFan's last thread, i've glanced over this thread but i don't remember any specifics and feel good to go there if i've time.

Top Bottom