1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Imperator: Rome

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Hamilton321, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Hamilton321

Hamilton321 Chieftain

Hello, I decided to start a thread for a new game that is about to be released called Imperator: Rome. The game looks quite cool and I will probably buy it eventually (I am too cautious to buy games pre-release or at release) if it ends up playing as well as it looks. The game allows one to play as the Roman Republic, the Hellenistic nations, Carthage and the various barbarian tribes. I think that the aspects of the game that are the most promising are the governmental system and the incredibly detailed map. The map is divided into numerous provinces which are then subdivided into cities, each city has its own resources which it can import and export to other cities. There are many governments your nation can choose from, which give your nation certain bonuses and give you as the leader differing degrees of centralized control. There are six rankings for every country in the game from a horde of immigrants, to a city-state, and then local, regional, major and finally great powers. So, hopefully the game is good, if you get the game then post on this thread what you think of it. If it is reviewed well then I will buy it this summer.

2. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Chieftain

I've got my eye on this as well but I'm really looking forward to Fields of Glory: Empires which will definitely be a day one purchase for me.

3. Akropolis24

Akropolis24 Chieftain

Seems like a right thread for this.

I'm a blogger and a profound lover of games, all kinds of them. Imperator: Rome and Paradox games, in general, have always attracted my sights, and even if I do not buy every single DLC for every single game they have launched, I still watch how their games progress, evolve, and change.

Anyway, I've written a blog about Imperator: Rome features, and if you have a few spare minutes & are interested in buying the game, this Article should help.

I appreciate it a lot.

Thanks and have a good one! <3

4. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point, although most likely not day one, if for no other reason than that I have a nail-biting EU4 game in progress that will likely last past Imperator's release. The timer period is a great appeal, and I'm a fan of CKII and EU4, so Paradox's track record is good.

Interesting blog post, Akropolis. I haven't been following the dev diaries in any detail, so it caught me up a bit. The map detail and pops sound intriguing; I am hopeful it doesn't go too far down the war game rabbit hole. While I can go for HOI4 every once in awhile, and exploring tactical options in Total War is fun, it's the grand strategy in EU4 and Vicky II, and the character development in CKII that really appeal to me in Paradox games, and the setting seems like it would lend itself well to that.

5. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I wouldn't mind it, and I've had fun with multiple Pdox games in the past. However, Pdox has worked hard to earn my distrust over the past few years. Enough to suck enjoyment out of titles I previously enjoyed. They have proven repeatedly that they care more about esoteric exploits than the game lying to the player, in multiple titles...and that's not a matter of opinion. That is their objective practice.

I skipped Stellaris because Wiz was on the team. I'll skip Imperator because EU 4 has straight up declined in quality (complete with incoherent reasoning for major gameplay altering changes) and HOI 4's core controls and mechanics still don't work right now in 2019, even after they've attempted to foist yet another DLC.

If players still enjoy it I'm not going to stop them, but I do think the strategy genre in general needs some new competition, especially turn-based.

6. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

Yeah, i have to agree with TMIT here. I "like" paradox games. But i dont "like" them to the point i want to spend all my time playing them. And for that reason their DLC strategy just annoys me. Because with every DLC, piecemeal by piecemeal, they destroy the game that you once enjoyed. I also love turn based. And have an inherent dislike to real time. So for me its mainly been XCOM, CIV IV and various rogue likes like darkest dungeon, FTL and slay the spire. I just dont have enough time to invest that much into a game when there are better ones out there that are complete and do not require you to attach a life support system in order for you to enjoy them.

7. Hamilton321

Hamilton321 Chieftain

I found these comments interesting, particularly the ones talking about other games/ paradox games. I personally have not played many paradox games, although I do know some things about them. I first found Imperator: Rome because I really like games about the Roman Empire and Roman Republic. I have about a dozen games about the Roman Empire, including both Rome total wars, Kalypso's old Roman games, casual games with a Roman flavor. If there is Rome in a game, then I will buy it and play it. The other reason why I am excited by Imperator is that when I saw the developer diaries for Imperator I was quite impressed by the level of geographical/political detail. I will buy it probably few months after release since I recently have been playing more Civilization and Napoleon total war and just bought anno 1800 and will be too busy playing those for the next few months to play other games.

8. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Chieftain

I agree with you 100%. Paradox really needs to make their own homegrown TBS game. That's why I'm looking forward to the upcoming Fields of Glory: Empires for my Rome/ancients fix.