Imperial Japanese Units

I think these resemble the Civ3 rifleman in a way, you know? Very good, anyhow.

Looks really nice. The boots look a bit odd though.

Looks nice Chug... I agree though... what's with the boots? Is that authentic, or creative license? I don't know off the top of my head what those uniforms looked like, but white seems odd.

very nice!! and actualy, yes, i think they are high leggings....

these are from "diggers uniforms"...the japanese r on the bottom of the pic....

Ah... okay... well then perhaps the boots should be touched-up to reflect leggings... maybe make the boot tips black or whatever, like in the pic... as-is now, they look like white boots.

I'm not entirely sure how accurate they are, but I based them off the uniforms in The Last Samurai, which was better researched than most Hollywood movies.

I thought they looked like boots in the pictures, but I could be wrong:

Here you go... your own picture reinforces what Bernie pointed out in his picture... look behind the lead-character in the center of the picture... just behind his left knee, you can clearly see the Japanese infantryman behind him has a white legging with black boot tips sticking-out from the legging...

very nice!! and actualy, yes, i think they are high leggings....

these are from "diggers uniforms"...the japanese r on the bottom of the pic....

bernie14...I know that picture plate! It's from a book on uniforms I read many years ago. The book had ink drawings like that covering several centuries of uniforms. Can you tell us more about where you found it?

...........I traced the HTML in the attachment and the site does not include more of the books color plates. Darn! You guys would love this for making units! It had thousands of ink drawings of most nation's uniforms and covered a very large historic span. Maybe I can still find it at the library and get the title...the drawings could be scanned into jpeg format!

@Chuggi.....no problem mate, and i think it would be a great idea to break up the white with some red....it seems, not only for artistic creativity, but also, in researching the uniforms of the industrial age, many times, diferences in regiments and such were reflected by different color vests or piping, etc....that is proly why the movie has red piping and the pic has yellow :)

@Acronym2 (and other artists!!!) in doing some of my research for uniform art i stumbled across digger's site...this is the first page i found.....

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uniforms/thru-ages-1.htm

the site is not the easiest to navigate thru, but on the top of the page, u will see "thru age 2", thru age 3", etc....maybe not thousands of pics, but an extremely nice collection of art for uniforms from 1700's to WW2...the rest of the site is also worth a look :D

bernie14@Acronym2 (and other artists!!!) in doing some of my research for uniform art i stumbled across digger's site...this is the first page i found..... [url said:
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uniforms/thru-ages-1.htm[/url]

the site is not the easiest to navigate thru, but on the top of the page, u will see "thru age 2", thru age 3", etc....maybe not thousands of pics, but an extremely nice collection of art for uniforms from 1700's to WW2...the rest of the site is also worth a look :D

Yes........These are all the ink drawings from "Uniforms Through The Ages 1700 to Present" (I think the book was published in the 1960's) and many of the photos of uniform items/accessories are from that book as well.

Thanks for the information bernie14!

they look great..
let them fight some samurais ;)

may sound stupid, but are they based on my british ww1 soldiers?
just curious, because they look like in the screenshot, but I could be entirely wrong, I don´t know the firaxis models.
If yes, then, great work man!

Well, they are based on a British unit. ;) They're based mostly on the machinegunner from vanilla, but I modified them a little.

I would have given you credit if I had used your models, you know that! :p

@Chuggi.....no problem mate, and i think it would be a great idea to break up the white with some red....it seems, not only for artistic creativity, but also, in researching the uniforms of the industrial age, many times, diferences in regiments and such were reflected by different color vests or piping, etc....that is proly why the movie has red piping and the pic has yellow :)

@Acronym2 (and other artists!!!) in doing some of my research for uniform art i stumbled across digger's site...this is the first page i found.....

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-uniforms/thru-ages-1.htm

I finished the cavalry and fixed the leggings on the other units, which I'll be uploading soon.

I'm also working on a grenadier and a cannonier, any suggestions?

There's some nice pics of Danish uniforms on that site btw, they could be useful for some Viking industrial units. ;)

Top Bottom