Imperialism II PBEM

Invasion of Taiwan imminent.

I will make an effort to pick up the pace hereafter. But, @Northerner also has to pick things up as well - the problem is not unique to me.

Attachments

• JapanJuly1873.7z
    90.9 KB · Views: 119
German Imperial Report!
Pruss1.png

*Today, our troops move south to liberate the Balkans from social decay and barbarism!
*All nations should take note that Germany will lay claim to Sofia and Tirana - Do not thwart us!
*The Independent nations are moving artillery close to Vienna, be warned - We will defend Bohemia!
*If France and Britain clash over Uganda...Germany expects both sides to respect our colonial borders.

Attachments

• GermanyJuly1873.zip
    128.9 KB · Views: 148
USA

A solid month for American merchants.
The United States is gravely concerned about rumours of hostility. However, we have previously stated that we expect no interference in South America and thus consider Africa to be a European domain.

Attachments

• USA1873july.7z
    91.3 KB · Views: 135
This far off and distant warlord known as the "Kabaka" and his lands are of no concern or relevance at this point or in the foreseeable to His Exalted Celestial Majesty, the Meiji Emperor.

I have a minor problem!

The screen of my old computer broke - making any attempt at playing ToT a real bother.
I have a new computer lined up (new as in three years old, I'm a terrible scrooge when it comes to electronics.) Anyway, these last few years or a decade since I lost my ToT cd I have been using an ISO file I can't remember where I sourced, but this new computer tells me it's corrupted and won't open it.

I just realized I could probably move the whole ToT folder between computers. I'll try that and see what I end with.

I have a minor problem!

The screen of my old computer broke - making any attempt at playing ToT a real bother.
I have a new computer lined up (new as in three years old, I'm a terrible scrooge when it comes to electronics.) Anyway, these last few years or a decade since I lost my ToT cd I have been using an ISO file I can't remember where I sourced, but this new computer tells me it's corrupted and won't open it.

I just realized I could probably move the whole ToT folder between computers. I'll try that and see what I end with.
Itemize that one, @techumseh. That outdoes any of mine. :p

Simply copying worked. Thanks Curt!

Now, this brings up a problem I have never encountered before. The laptop I'm using now does not have a numpad, so the only movement available is vertical/horizontal(arrows) or alternatively the GO function. Neither really does the job so well - moving a hundred ships around this way is somewhat more laborious than my sanity will withstand. How do people get around this? I find no way to change key bindings, is that possibly hidden in some game file? I can't seem to find anything at all that would allow to remap movement buttons.

Thanks John. Will see if I can find one of those.

So, about twenty four hours later than I had meant to, I finally post my save.

No news.

Attachments

• BritainJuly1873.zip
    113.5 KB · Views: 86
Simply copying worked. Thanks Curt!

Now, this brings up a problem I have never encountered before. The laptop I'm using now does not have a numpad, so the only movement available is vertical/horizontal(arrows) or alternatively the GO function. Neither really does the job so well - moving a hundred ships around this way is somewhat more laborious than my sanity will withstand. How do people get around this? I find no way to change key bindings, is that possibly hidden in some game file? I can't seem to find anything at all that would allow to remap movement buttons.

This is not a great solution but I'm on a laptop as well currently and I use the left mouse button drag to move units.

The most annoying part is that the "go" command cancels when the ship runs into another ship - in cluttered waters I end up giving up to perhaps 7 commands to the same ship!

Another problem is that the space bar is situated right by the left/right mouse click keys, which caused my to space bar end movement of a large amount of units. I chose to let it be, but at least one ship is blocking a busy strait because of this. I expect I'll consign the space bar issue to muscle memory soon enough.

Still a bit stumped that there's absolutely no way to map keys.

The most annoying part is that the "go" command cancels when the ship runs into another ship - in cluttered waters I end up giving up to perhaps 7 commands to the same ship!

Another problem is that the space bar is situated right by the left/right mouse click keys, which caused my to space bar end movement of a large amount of units. I chose to let it be, but at least one ship is blocking a busy strait because of this. I expect I'll consign the space bar issue to muscle memory soon enough.

Still a bit stumped that there's absolutely no way to map keys.
Mapping keys wasn't nearly as common in computer games 20 years ago as it is today, I'm afraid.

Itemize that one, @techumseh. That outdoes any of mine. :p

Do you really think so? I'll grant you that it may eclipse the variety of family issues and the many computer and software problems you've had to contend with. But I'm not sure it outdoes the thunderstorms, the indigestion, unexpected long distance calls, having to babysit, or the oppressive heat. Or that time the internet ate your post. I think you still win by a mile, Patine. :trophy:

Perhaps we could put forward a suggestion to TheNamelessOne for the next ToTPP update to see if there is a way to map keys & if there is a way for designated naval units to actually move past enemies ZoC. I know it's possible to set the flag in rules to ignore ZoC but units will still stop & need to be manually moved once a ZoC is encountered. It is very tedious in a game like Imperialism with a ton of merchant ships criss-crossing the oceans.

Uganda Crisis

The British intention of annexing Uganda has caused a scramble among the various factions in the government to formulate a response. Uganda is of little apparent value to the British Empire, and so was not significantly analyzed by strategists.

The Senate and Chamber of Deputies have passed the following resolutions:

Uganda (specifically the cities of Gondokoro and Kampala) is a significant transportation link to French East Africa. The French President is authorized to deploy as many troops to the region as necessary to deter or repel any Anglo force that attempts to invade. The French President shall have discretion in the use of military force in the region near Uganda (The area near Kampala, Gondokoro, Wau, Al-Fashir, Ankober, Rabak, Khartoum). This resolution is NOT a declaration of war in that area. The French President must still make a formal declaration of war before ordering troops to attack.

The French Empire is willing to consider other territorial exchanges with the British Empire in order to simplify borders.

The French President authorized (but not obligated) to declare a trade embargo with the British Empire if either of these conditions are met:
1. The British declare a trade embargo against the French.
2. The British announce their intention to use military force to acquire other French Territories.

In related news, prominent members of the Hawk Party have met publicly with leaders of the Catalonian [i.e. Barcelona] Independence Movement. When questioned by the newspapers, a Hawk Party member stated that Catalonia is not an integral part of Spain and that, therefore, helping Catalonia achieve independence would not violate French agreements to respect the independence of Spain any more than invading the Philippines did.

Also, the French President very publicly moved 10 units of Marines to a new fortress near Al-Fashir, on the border with Rabak.

EDIT: Estates General wasn't the name of the French Parliament at that time.

Attachments

• french1873july.hot.zip
    110.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
If the British Empire or France (or both!) wish to sign a pact treaty with Germany to facilitate troop movements in Europe or Afrika, please make your offers!

The French offer not to capture any German territory we find it convenient to move our troops through, and to leave behind the railroad infrastructure we build to facilitate those troop movements.

Top Bottom