1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Imperialism II PBEM

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by McMonkey, May 26, 2017.

1. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

As the British have agreed to lift the embargo, Russia also removes all trade barriers to all nations. We do however urge the warring parties to bring this bloodshed to an end and fight it our instead at the negotiating table. Russia is happy to volunteer its services as an intermediary.

2. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Pacifist!:mad:

3. McMonkey

4. McMonkey

5. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Chieftain Supporter

Out of Character Observation:

I've essentially run into the problem that the Imperialism scenario eventually forces war as the only course of action. I've developed France's economy about as much as possible, and have usually produced something in each city every turn for quite a while. At this point "peace" seems more like a time to prepare for war, since there is not much else for Britain or France to do. Britain may well have the advantage in that area, since I think the British Empire still has more cities than the French Empire (although my gains have closed the gap somewhat, assuming they are not pushed back). In any case, a delayed war would just mean hundreds more units to move on both sides, and the turns are already way to long.

If there were some other thing to spend resources on, then France could be satisfied with punishing the Uganda annexation attempt and making some territorial gains, and possibly return some territory to smooth things over, or to get some other kind of concession. As it is, there seems little reason to stop the war, unless most of the world joined in a grand coalition against France (and even then, I don't know how much ability the other powers have to project power away from their borders).

6. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

You may be going to heaven, but I don't like your chances in the game. :p

7. McMonkey

That does seem to be the arc of all of these games. A long buildup involving lots of trading and then a huge war of annihilation.
    My proposed solution for any future version would be to make acquiring new territory much more expensive & difficult. The idea I had for limited wars would then come into play more as total war would be prohibitively expensive.

This could be represented using Lua. Perhaps each turn a nation is at war their treasury is drained of money so that campaigns have to be concluded rapidly or peace sought to avoid bankruptcy.

The game could also be speeded up with a more streamlined trade system. Moving hundreds of merchants all over the map can get pretty tedious.

Limiting the development potential of certain cities or regions could make a difference to the game dynamics.

I'm sure Lua could be utilised to make a whole swathe of improvements.

With regards to the current game, just do what you need to do. In most games there are winners & losers. Sometimes losing can be fun too. It's a chance to learn from ones mistakes and come back stronger & wiser the next time.

8. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

Well, it is called "Imperialism" and not "New Age Peace Fest"...:)

McMonkey and techumseh like this.
  9. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

An objective system other than simply world conquest wouldn't be bad for the next version. Perhaps even a situation where there is a bank of several possible objectives any country may randomly, secretly receive at game start or at a point in time, compelling different directions.

10. McMonkey

The classic board game Risk has a similar system as an alternative to total world domination as a a victory condition. This needn't even be an in game mechanic. We could find a non-playing umpire who would pick these at random (a dice roll) and let each player know their objectives. An interesting concept to explore.

11. McMonkey

Each nation would need it's own objectives based on their geography and there could be core objectives that overlap. For example Britain & Russia's core objective could be Afghanistan with Nepal, Persia as possible additional overlapping objectives. Manchuria would be core for Russia & Japan and so on. It would take some thought to get right but might give the game a fresh new twist.

JPetroski likes this.
  12. Patine

Patine Warlord

A military simulation board game put out by TSR in 1990 (with an update in 1991) called "A Line in the Sand" about then-news hogging affairs in the Middle East had, as one of it's game types, a six-player "diplomacy game," where each faction (who each controlled one or more nations with very loosely historically-based military forces) randomly chose one of three objectives (each faction had it's own unique three) and, after 12 turns, everyone who accomplished their own individual objectives could claim victory, so multiple players could end up winning, or even no one.

13. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

I started going down a rabbit hole with a large text about all this but decided to post it in the development thread for Imperialism With Lua. This is indeed an interesting topic. This is one of the most popular multiplayer scenarios made and it would be interesting to see what lua could make of it.

14. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

If God didn't want world conquest to be the objective of Imperialism, then why did he make these icons?

:devil: :groucho: :trouble: :backstab: :ninja: :assimilate: :popcorn:

CurtSibling likes this.
  15. Patine

Patine Warlord

Will play tomorrow after work.

16. Patine

Patine Warlord

I am going to have to formally request, if he is willing, that @JPetrotski play my turn again. My computer is acting very funny and erratic and may well need a full, deep virus scan, and, possibly even a restore to factory settings.

17. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

I will play for you, sure. It might take me until tomorrow to post the turn but we'll see.

18. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

Neither Japan nor Germany report any news.

Attached Files:

19. voltar

voltar Drunken Russian

USA

Lima captured

Attached Files:

20. Patine

Patine Warlord

I should be able to play my next turn. Thanks for covering me, @JPetroski. :)