Imperium Offtopicum V

There was a little too much RP, imo.

Maybe, but I'll say that wasn't what killed the game. I think three things killed the game.

1. Pure freakish chance. It was tough to tell what went wrong, but I think without a freak accident of some kind the game would be just fine. I'll have to read back to where it died, but tons of fast posts at the same time, a Battle GM leaving, and Luckymoose posting complaints all happening at the same time killed it. Not any one of those things, but all three did it.

2. Mega-alliances. They don't work. All they do is make it impossible for wars to happen, even with a Casus Beli, who's going to attack even a three man group alone, let alone a 7 man group which was quickly going to happen. In the modern era, MAD was a valid mechanic. In the Renaissance it was not.

3. People not knowing the era. We can debate till the Cows come home if free religion was a problem but intelligence agencies, terrorist attacks, Mathalamus admitting he had spies, and I'll admit my "Protestant Reformation" though in my defense the rules against it were not clear, all contributed to the fall. Its become a tangled mess of half-Renaissance, half-modern, but its not really modern either, its half and half, and the GMs did not do the best job stopping Mathalamus from doing it (I admit there were no easy solutions.) Explaining all the nonsense that happened in this game would look foolish. I don't mind if we do another Renaissance game, but let's not continue this one.

A battle GM quit because of 3, and the mega alliances did not exist on paper, only in religious subgroups. As for Luckymoose, he's an old NESer and he's Lucky for crying out loud.

D3K, I agree with your reasons except on point 2. Mega alliance were solved pretty fast and didn't disrupt the thread too much.

Role-playing is the funnest part about this game.

I agree though it can get out of hand.

I don't think the issue was too much roleplaying but too much senseless roleplaying. For instance, Cull being a harsh Catholic Theocracy made sense for the era and added to the fun of being in the Renaissance. Math creating a terror organization and admitting to having spies in everybody's country made the game get stupid fast IMO. And, there's no way to explain that away, you would have to start the game fresh.

A battle GM quit because of 3, and the mega alliances did not exist on paper, only in religious subgroups.

I get that, but I still hold to back then people did go to war as a team but it was not a defense pact but wanting to achieve a common goal, for instance the Christian crusades however the Christian nations also often fought amongst themselves as well. DPs lasting 50+ years didn't happen like they did with, say, NATO in the modern era. Any such pacts were temporary and with a common enemy in mind.

D3K, I agree with your reasons except on point 2. Mega alliance were solved pretty fast and didn't disrupt the thread too much.

I didn't think they disrupted the thread, they just aren't good for a Renaissance era. At least 90% of wars back then were 1 VS 1.

ZOMG, this discussion again.

They fought among themselves, yes. In this IOT, yes. I won't say much, but there is infighting among the Church as it runs deep. I barely had a hold on all of them, but the power looked unbreakable, similar to RL.

Your Protestant Reformation certainly didn't help matters in the slightest. Stop casting your nets at everyone else, when the other side of the boat is right next to you.

Sorry for being a little late (Civ has really robbed me of my sense of time), but here are the results.

Should we restart?

Yay- IIIIIIII

Nay- IIIIIII

Wow, this was close. It looks as if we're going to restart by one point, and one point only.

I'm guessing since we're going to restart, we're going to have to make a new thread (this one is too clogged to do anything with). So expect it to be up in a couple days (it will take longer since we have to restart everything).

See you there! :wavey:

Actually, I'd prefer an Industrial game.

But, yeah, I suppose we could give classical a shot. It'd be a kind of experimental game to test out the new ideas, so in whatever version we decide to do expect some rule adjustments in the middle of the game.

I'd love a Classical game :)

I'd prefer a modern game

I'd prefer industrial actually because its something different yet it works well for Defense pacts and a big world.

I'd prefer Modern over anything else though, I don't care between Renaissance and Medieval, and will consistantly vote against classical.

EDIT: As it looks like modern is out of the question, can you vote industrial please?

Fresh Start>Classical>Medieval>Industrial>Renaissance>Modern

My order would be (Even though its irrelevant) Industrial > Medieval or Modern > The other one out of those two (It would depend on the rules. I'd prefer Medieval over modern if the rules were more "Every man for himself" I'd prefer Modern if we're doing those Mega-alliances > Renaissance > Classical.

Top Bottom