1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Imperium Romanum

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Tani Coyote, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Canis Latranscendental

(This is my first post, so bear with the quality please. =x Unfortunately, I can't seem to upload yet, but once I have this posted, I'll work on getting the whole uploading images thing right.)

A History of Rome (4000 BC - 3500 BC) - By Tanner Bates/Taniciusfox

Special Details:

-C3C Map (El Mencey's 362 x 362 huge map)
    -$1 million is equal to 1 unit of gold.
    -Resources apart from fish and whales are all available for trading to create a vibrant economy.
    - Civilization also has most civilization powers and two extra technologies to compensate for the player's incompetence.
    - Also in relation to incompetence, corruption is gone.
    - Citizens generate 1 tax unit by default per turn for realism. Tax collectors add 3 tax units but cause one unit of unhappiness.

Listen closely my pupils. I must teach you the history of our country so that you may use it to affect the future. This IS a meritocratic state, after all!

The story of the great Roman Empire begins in 4000 BC. Rome was founded in the region of Mesopotamia, between the two rivers of the Euphrates and Tigris. This occurred when the wisemen of our tribe(back then, we might as well have believed the elderly were put in power by the gods...or were gods themselves, but we know better now.)
    After our tribe finally abandoned it's nomadic lifestyle for the stability of the Mesopotamian valley, we worked on constructing irrigation canals, mines and roads. We also put more emphasis on education decades after the city's founding, so our research and discoveries began to increase. Scouts headed north to Anatolia, which would allow us to see future possessions. We had discovered the site of modern Byzantium as time neared 3900 BC, and scouts were then sent to the modern Suez Canal and Nile regions to further investigate our surroundings.
    By 3750 BC, we had organised our first main corps of defenders, a division of spearmen numbering 300 men, they defended Rome, but at the time there was not much to defend from apart from the occassional wild beast. In the year 3550, Rome's army was doubled in size, with another 300 men being trained, sent to overlook modern Byzantium's site in order to avoid any pesky raiders from Europe(or potential rivals). Soon we planned to train bands of settlers to conquer the site and establish a far flung colony, a colony that would hopefully be of valuable use.

We are now at 3500 BC in the book. While we had not yet expanded from glorious Rome's capital, we had built up a moderate army and had explored countless lands, laying the foundations of an empire that would rule the Middle East, Egypt and the Balkans! ...And perhaps more.
    And that concludes our first introductory lesson. Oh, don't get cocky little ones, we're going to have FAR longer lessons in the future.

2. lucashp

lucashp Warlord

Cool a new story

/me bookmarks

/me also grabs popcorn :p

/me snickers :mischief:

Oh and Welcome to CivFanatics! (Even though I guess I am new)

3. Tani Coyote

A History of Rome (4000 BC - 3500 BC) - By Tanner Bates/Taniciusfox

Time for your second lesson, my students. Now as you know, Rome was in a period of very strong tribalism, even as we expanded. But politics and the economy cannot rely on old men making decisions and collectivism dominating everything. So a revolution neared.

-First Roman Civil War-

Shortly after Byzantium's founding in 3300 BC, a general by the name of Anatolius staged an uprising. As half the Roman army was garrisoned in Byzantium, this was a threat indeed. The empire split de facto(in practice) but not by law and name(de jure). This was due to how the elder council had no idea that Anatolius had revolted. They did when a month later their tax collector came back with a message.

...And with no hands.

In outrage, the elders declared Anatolius and his army a band of traitors to be exterminated. Armies mobilised on both sides. But the playing field was level, equal military forces. But the elders and the people of Rome assumed they woul win the war, as Rome had almost 3 times as much population as Byzantium. Unfortunately for the elders, Anatolius was far more rallying, intellectual and charismatic. His forces were re-inforced with incredible loyalty, his people as well. Before long, several figures in Rome had been bribed or swayed over to his side, conducting espionage and readying for when the long siege of Rome began.

And the siege came soon. Anatolius personally led a group of 300 men with an auxilary of 200 men against Rome's army of 300 professional soldiers and large bands of militia. Before the battle began, Anatolius spoke a speech:

"People of the glorious city of Rome! I am General Anatolius, supreme leader of the opposition to the government. But soon, I will be supreme leader of both governments! My advice to all of you who are wise is to submit to us, we do not intend to punish any who do. Loyalty will be rewarded! Death will await all others! Now make your choice, the battle for the future of Rome is about to begin!"

Mid battle, many soldiers surrendered, and the peasants quickly lost their morale as a result. Rome was conquered, the elders banished to the corners of the empire.

-The Beginning of the Despotic Age-

Anatolius soon declared himself supreme ruler of the Roman Empire -"Despot". This was met with applause.

Anatolius's government was somewhat more efficient then the primitive tribal, elder council system. He was even somewhat fascist in nature, as his motives were for the glory of the state. He re-organised labor, telling more citizens to mine resources then grow and harvest food. He worked on settling the Suez region. He was narcissistic, as he renamed everything from Byzantium to the Caucasus "Anatolia." Before he died, he even commissioned the construction of "the Colossus" in Byzantium, and between it's legs would be the gates between Asia and Europe.

However, Anatolius died long before he could settle anything. For several centuries after his "grand" revolution, Rome's population was stagnant due to the continued despotic policies. But it was revitalised under another ruler.

And by the turn of the millenium, Rome was ready to donate it's population to a colonisation effort. There was hope yet.

And that concludes another lesson! We are nearing the point of international relations. I'm sure you will all enjoy the bloodbath that is Roman warfare!

4. Tani Coyote

(In order to fit more pictures in, I'm splitting the post into two pieces)

A History of Rome (3000 BC - 2000 BC) - By Tanner Bates/Taniciusfox

And yet another lesson begins! Where were we? Oh yes, we were just ready to begin colonisation. Well, in 2900 BC, two great things happened. First, we discovered Iron Working, which if used correctly, could be used to develop weapons for the soon-to-exist Roman Legions. Yes, THOSE legions. The traditional ones. The CONQUERING ones.

We also sent our settlers on their way on the long road to the Suez canal.

We also were nearing the Congo river basin in exploration. This was due to how we had discovered the beginning of one of the many rivers that eventually combined to form the great Nile.

In 2850, we also finally settled the Suez region. But the small native village of Suez(which the region was named after) was soon overshadowed by the city of Anatolium, founded in the middle of the region and named after Anatolius himself, as per the demands of the conservative Despot. The Nile was easily irrigated, in fact, most of the river banks looked like they had been occupied by some earlier culture...roads and canals on both sides of the river. But, that would be the past. The time was the present. We completed irrigation projects connecting Anatolium to the rest of the Nile in 2710 BC. Our empire's growth slowed to a stop for a while, with Byzantium and Rome both working on their wonders.
    Rome was working on a replica of some destroyed relics we had discovered in the lands of the Nile valley, a massive storage facility for both grain and for the dead Despots: The Pyramids.
    The Despot also commissioned peasants to construct a large path across the northern edge of the deserts, in order to reduce travel time. In 2671 BC, great riots broke out in Byzantium. One quarter of the population - a whopping 25,000 out of 100,000- claimed the city was too crowded. As a result, we had to divert more of the population to entertaining the others. Degenerates.
    Mastery of the wheel around 2590 allowed us to build carts and utilise horses more effectively, improving our army and our trade. As we were still a mostly peaceful people, we pursued more peaceful technologies afterwards, such as pottery.

In 2470 BC, the massive undertaking of the 'Valerian Road' - named after the Despot who commissioned it - was finally completed. Commerce could flow more easily between Mesopotamia and Anatolium. Which was good, for we had a hunch that a band of savages called the Libyans was not too far away...

5. Tani Coyote

There was good news in 2430, with the discovery of pottery and our forays into Ceromonial Burial beginning. But there was also bad news...rumors along the distant trade routes going to Asia spoke of how we weren't among the top countries of the world. This was an outrage!
    Soon the completion of an army base in Anatolium signified our rise to militarism and expansionism. Shortly later, more men were to be sent to explore and settle the Levant for us. Rome would not go down in history as a failure!
    In 2310, more revolts broke out in Byzantium. The Despot considered large scale public executions. But he digressed. His advisor was the main reason. His public relations advisor said he should instead acquire luxuries for the populace, which would encourage them to be happier with their government. The Despot thought it over and agreed. The Levant promised resources of silk and wines to the people of Rome. That was where we would go.

By 2110, our scouts' descendants continued the forays into Africa, and we grew closer with each year to the end of the continent.
    Discovery of Mysticism at the turn of the century allowed us to mass spread religion with the construction of temples. We also begin to develop our superior writing system at the time. (It must be superior, what alphabet are you reading this in?!)

With the foundation of Neapolis shortly after 2000 BC, we gained silk supplies for our weavers to produce exotic cloth for entertainment, the wealthy and personal use. Rome was becoming richer and richer as the Pyramids approached completion as well.
    And we'll end our lesson here. Oh yes, you're droopy eyed now? Well, I hope you study up, there's a test tomorrow! And it'll be just as long as this lesson...

6. Tani Coyote

A History of Rome (2000 BC - 1500 BC) - By Tanner Bates/Taniciusfox

And lesson 4 is in session!

...Geez, no need to bring so much material or look so nervous. That whole test thing was a joke to get you runts to study. Hey hey! No getting angry! Sit down and listen on our next session.

Now, where we left off, we had just settled our fourth city, Neapolis. Our first truely developed temple was under construction in Anatolium. Byzantium and Rome were nearing the completion of their massive undertakings.
    But what about Neapolis? Neapolis did not have a garrison yet. It was so new and so rushed by the Despot it wasn't given an army to protect it. But it did show signs of economic promise. The hills, forests and silks nearby all indicated it would probably be a very rich and productive city, even if not the largest. It would also serve as a safety checkpoint between Byzantium and Rome.
    Our workers had begun construction on roads near the city, in hopes of linking the nearby iron up with it. The iron had not yet fallen within our borders, but it was believed that as we naturally subdued tribes as our cities expanded, it would become ours.

Around 1870 BC, we came across some savages known as the Bantu. Figures the first somewhat powerful barbarians we discovered were at the opposite end of the continent! But luckily, our scouts hugged the coastline and bypassed them.

Also in 1864 BC, we completed the Pyramids! Rome was on the rise again! The completion of the Pyramids resulted in all major cities establishing granaries for shipment from the capital's stores in the event of starvation.

But unfortunately, we were beaten to the Colossus. Some other civilization built a similar wonder that overshadowed ours. But we promised ourselves that one day, we would control it. We also heard of a wonder called the Oracle being finished. Seems we were'nt ahead by much.
    Though we knew no countries by name, we did have some details of the foreign world thanks to our extensive trading network. We recieved word that allowed our historians to place Rome as the second most powerful city in the world! We also had the highest life expectancy at 46 years, and the highest population at 540,000. Our gross national product, at 27 million, was the 3rd highest in the world. Well, at least Rome ranked top in some stats. But we intended to one day rank one in everything!

We soon came across the Inca, inhabitants of the far south of Africa. Our scouts chose to settle to the South of Inca lands until the barbarians in the north were vanquished.
    In good news, the Inca were a very, very, VERY stupid culture. We had far more technology then them, they couldn't speak our tongue, AND the leader even didn't have bodyguards and agreed to close his eyes. If an advisor of his hadn't walked in, there would've been an assassination.
    The Inca did however, outrank us in military strength. That was why the Despot said that we needed to flex our military muscle once the iron resource was ours.
    By 1650, a powerful band of archers had been formed, numbering 500 men. This was courtesy of the new militarism of the city of Rome, which had a few decades earlier finished it's own personal army base. These powerful men would help reset the balance of power. Our charts showed the Inca rivaled us in strength.
    We soon met the Americans in South Asia. They were more advanced then the Inca, but were rivals with us. We payed them 300 million in exchange for the secret of Horseback Riding. It would buy us more time by buying their technology.
    Our conquest of Mesopotamia was complete after we conquered the villages at the mouth of the rivers that led into a larger body of water, which we named the Roman Gulf. We named the city after the largest village, Basra. We could now field a large navy.
    And at the end of the century, we had six cities. 1500 BC and onwards showed great signs of progress, as our army, empire, economy and technology base enlarged. We also began construction of the Great Library in Rome. Hopefully we could beat our rivals to it...

7. Tani Coyote

A History of Rome (1500 BC - 1200 BC) - By Tanner Bates/Taniciusfox

And lesson five is in order.

Now, we are entering the more interesting parts of Roman history. Shortly after the discovery of the Americans, population growth really picked up. Our city of Ravenna was founded in 1450 BC, marking the Nile as our territory. A band of archers was sent north to the Caucasus mountain range, in hopes of establishing an outpost to monitor our northern frontier. As Neapolis conquered more tribes in the local area, the iron resource fell into our grasp. We immediately began to plot the construction of vast legions which would tame the wilderness of the world. And put lesser countries in their place.

Further rumors from merchants told us Rome was the third most advanced nation in the world. Well, that was a start. For a hundred years, thinks quieted down. There was little international contact. Our cities grew, developed army bases, and started producing more and more workers to build our infrastructure. But this would end. The first Roman Legion was being trained in Anatolium. Anatolius would probably have gloated. The city of Neapolis was ever expanding, and roads were linking the suburbs together to form a prosperous city. At the time, by far our richest city was Byzantium, which produced 22 million annually.
    That was more then 1/4 of our whole economy! And it was bound to grow richer, as soldiers explored the areas west of the city, scouting out what would soon be Roman Europe.

Once again, rumors of the outside world reached the Despot in his grandeur palace. He was pleased with the results.

The year 1275 BC brought us into a right of passage agreement with the Inca. It wouldn't do us any good in reality, but it would definitely improve relations.
    And with the year 1250 BC came a chance for Rome to strike at it's rivals and crush them. What do I mean? It was the year where our first legion was born...

Christened Legion I, this would be the first of many glorious groups of 3000 men to go against the armies of other countries. It was sent east immediately, to guard the Indus river, the entry point to America.
    And here we are, again at the turn of the century! Entering into 1200 BC, we encountered the French and their matriarch, Joan of Arc. She obviously wasn't good diplomatically. In exchange for Philosophy and 149 million, we recieved polytheism and mathematics, making us incredibly advanced!
    That concludes today's lesson. Next time, we'll be discussing everything up to the year 1000 BC!

8. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

Whats the difficulty? Can you tell me some of the changes you've made to the game?

9. Tani Coyote

The difficulty is Regent, which is exactly the same except for no corruption. If you read the very first entry, it gives a good list of most of the changes. Unfortunately, when I imported unit data from another scenario, I forgot to make it so infantry could upgrade to mech. infantry. But oh well, guess that's part of the challenge! ...if I ever make it to the modern age.

10. Tani Coyote

A History of Rome (1200 BC - 1000 BC) - By Tanner Bates/Taniciusfox

Lesson six, students. Come on, sit down. The promised time of Rome nears.

Now where we left off, Rome was mobilising it's first legions for a potential invasion of America. Invading the country would expand our power base and allow us to more easily conquer the world. Our diplomatic connections continued to increase. North of the Caucasus, we came across a group of people known as the Carthaginians. We also established embassies in the Carthaginian and French capitals. We knew of 4 rivals, all from very distant parts of the globe.

Our military experts evaluated the situation, and were pleased to say an attack on America would be most rewarding, as they were relatively local as well as weak.

And yet AGAIN, for the third time, riots broke out in Byzantium in 1125 BC! The Despot was angered, but after a few public executions, cooled down. He promised a special status to the city of Byzantium, which would grant it some more special priveleges, and in exchange they would not revolt again.

With the year 1100 BC, the Great Library was complete! This spurred the Roman people into believing education was as important as being strong, and libraries popped up everywhere due to public and private investments.
    Battles with the savage Libyans commenced shortly after, and we lost almost no troops to the barbarians.

When the Americans settled the mouth of the Indus, boy were they in for a surprise. In a gambit, we prepared to mount an offensive that would destroy the city of Miami.
    The battle of Miami resulted in a Roman victory. Few men were lost on our side. With the primitive Americans desecrated, we set our sights on their homeland. Perhaps we could transform a war of securing the East into conquering the east?
    By paying massive amounts of money to France, we also brought them into the war. They could apply pressure in the eastern part of the American nation, as well as divert American resources to two fronts. We were pleased to hear our French allies brought an unknown third party, Zululand, into the war on America. Something told the Roman people that America might soon be divided into colonies...
    Around 1050 BC however, midwar...some idealists made their move.

-Second Roman Civil War-

With the major offensive army out on campaign, some rather high members of the military staged a coup against the Despot. After massacring the Despot's personal guards, the Despot himself was forced to abdicate. The military put one of the leading generals in power. However, this new leader declined the title of 'Despot'. He called himself the Monarch. He appointed the other generals and their families to 'nobility' status, setting the foundation of the more modern Roman state. Civil strife ensued, and the standing army chose to go about it's duty and fight America as much as it could.
    Despite the civil war, we continued to expand, settlers founded autonomous communities at the fringes of the empire, and we discovered the tribes of the Maya and Germans. France turned out to be quite an ally, as they rallied a country called Persia against America! In the western fringes of the empire, archers continud to eliminate Libyan troops.
    After a long and heavy battle, the monarchists took power in 1000 BC. The military and the state became infused through this union. But with the abolition of the despotic state, the nobility gained their own lands and priveleges, a primitive form of Federalism. This allowed commerce to greatly improve nationwide. But the nobles over time began to put their interests ahead of the Monarch's, resulting in the standing army's maximum size being shrunk.
    Commerce increased thanks to noble initiative, if only by about 3 million per year. Towns and cities grew across the empire and subdued native villages, resulting in our borders forming a massive empire stretching from the Balkans to the Nile to even some of the Indus!
    And our lesson ends with Roman Karachi being built at the mouth of the Indus. This would serve as a powerful base with which to spawn troops to subdue America. The Great Age of Rome was nearing...

11. Tani Coyote

A History of Rome (1000 BC - 500 BC) - By Tanner Bates/Taniciusfox

Lesson seven! Lucky number indeed, action really heats up!

Now, after we left the revolution, we were nearing becoming a modern state. Currency and Construction were being refined. While our idea of a Great Lighthouse was beaten, we did hope to create Hanging Gardens to serve as a makeshift palace for the Monarch. We also laid siege to Chicago, constantly moving around it and avoiding patrols until re-inforcements could arrive.
    Chicago was conquered and razed without casualties in 950 BC. America was on a downward trend. We had not yet evaluated the situation, but were sure things were bad on other fronts. By 900 BC, our troops neared heartland of the American country. We took notice they were still trying to settle the lands around them. Oh well, more fodder for us to destroy. Our armies continued to swell in size. With improved commerce from the revolution, we could pay people to work overtime or hire more workers, contributing to the speed of production. Troops were rolling off the assembly lines it seemed.
    With the year 900 BC came what is now known as the Middle Ages. But despite advancements in technology, we continued to slowly but surely advance into America. Our legions became obsolete though, instead being replaced with the commonplace Medieval Infantry. But alas, we used our legions to crush the settlers outside America, giving us slaves to improve Karachi's infrastructure. We intended to conquer America by all means. And Medieval Infantry would aid our assault.

The area you see me showing you now is a map from the time. Back then, the ruined regions of America were lumped together and called 'The Ruins' by our troops and people. It is located just north of America and east of Karachi, where some of the soldiers are standing. We also discovered the primitive Greeks. They were still in the very beginnings of time! But they also had a large empire...they would make a good colony after we crushed America.
    In 850, the Temple of Artmeis was completed in Rome. Yet more glory belonged to us! But bad news came as well.
    We learned that Washington, capital of America, had built a giant relic called the Statue of Zeus. Such a relic was to be guarded by a specially trained cavalry corps, which could potentially harass our plans to conquer them. So we had to mobilise. FAST.
    By 800 BC, we completed the Hanging Gardens, a beautiful palace, in Neapolis, the crossroads of the three continents. The beauty of what could be done with water and aqueducts inspired most of the major cities to establish large scale sewage and aqueducts, allowing growth to continue. Settlements sprung up in the deserts to the south of Mesopotamia, in a small patch of plains along the coast. This would be an investment in the future, due to how in the modern age, oil was found there.
    In 775 BC, Boston(in the far south corner of the Ruins) was destroyed. The American empire had endured heavy losses and was on the brink of collapse. They were willing to give us one of two cities in their peace treaty of our choice. But the Monarch pressed on, desiring more if he was terminate his military alliance prematurely.
    In 750 BC, with France withdrawing from the war, Rome chose to do the same. We could compete peacefully for control of the lands east of the Indus. So we met with America's diplomats...

We siezed control of Philadelphia! Which by chance was conveniently located between South Asia and Sri Lanka...it also chopped America into two regions.

While we had not gained anything per se in the war, we had greatly crushed America, devestating it for years to come, and we also proved that we were a force to be reckoned with. The Indus colony would expand soon, and in it's honor, the Monarch declared a national holiday for the citizens of the Roman Empire!
    Shortly after that Monarch died, another came to power, Gaius II Caesar. In his early years, he was frighteningly unpopular, and putting down revolts with the army worsened his reputation! So Gaius needed some way to improve his reputation. And then it came to him: War. Only 2 decades after the Roman-American War, Gaius wanted to wage war again. This time, he looked South, to the Mayans. He mobilised troops to head towards the border, many of these divisions were commissioned during the war. After garrisoning some in Karachi to ensure security, he sent the rest towards the Mayan Empire. The Maya inhabited Central Africa, but were frightening close to Aegyptus, our Nile province.

Gaius cashed in on how there were Mayan Scouts nearing the Mediterranean oasis. So he raised popular sentiment for the war:

"Observe Citizens! Not too far from Aegyptus, Mayan warriors approach the oasis that serves as a rest top to travellers! They intend to poison the water, scout out our positions! We must strike first or be the first struck!”
    -Gaius II Caesar, rallying popular support for the Mayan-Roman War.

Gaius II Caesar's plan worked. While we know today the Mayans were just innocently scouting out other lands and stopping at the desert oasis for some rehydration, back then everyone was dagger-happy, as in they were just itching to kill at the smallest thing. And kill the Roman Army did...
    On a smaller note, the city of Tarentum was founded in the interior of South Asia, on the west bank of the large river to the southeast of Karachi. Workers began constructing roads that would link up valuable ivory and spices to our capital.
    The progress of the Mayan-Roman war was hastened when we learned of a government typed called the Republic, which supported elected representation rather then a hereditary monarch. Gaius certainly did not want to lose his throne! So he needed to prove to the people Monarchy was a reliable system.
    Poor old Gaius died before he could initiate the war, right before the beginning of the 600's BC. But the plan was concrete as we continued to mobilise. But his descendant, Augustus I changed all that. Augustus was only 17 when he came to the throne in 639 BC, ruling all the way up to just after we entered the 500's BC. Near the end of his reign, in 613 BC, we discovered how to use Gunpowder. This would really make the battlefield swing in our favor!
    He also founded the city of Augusta further down the Nile, in order to facilitate larger troop movements. Near the end of his rule, we also came across the mighty Persians and the Hittites of Northwestern Europe.
    As he was laying on his deathbed, the great monument to the book the Art of War by the German writer Zun Thusu, was completed. The monument inspired militarism nationwide, with army bases built in every major city. Only a day later, Augustus passed away.

When we discovered the Zulu, a Central Asian people, in the year 590 BC, we were surprised to hear they were fighting the Americans. We had a treaty to honor with America, so for the moment we chose to ignore the conflict, but try to hinder Zulu attacks by not giving them the right to use our transportation network and by funding the Americans.
    The King said the reason for his actions:

"We Romans are the noblest people in the world. We must do our best to prove we deserve that privelege. We do so either by conquering and improving the lives of the conquered, or protecting others from being conquered."
    -King Artaxius II

Their leader was especially grateful at the 1 million per year deal we sealed! They were in dire need of funds, a look at their economy showed they only had 5 million in their treasury at the time of the deal. Apparently this also improved our global reputation, as we were seen as charitable people.
    We finally formalised the war with a declaration of war on the Mayan Empire in 569 BC. With the war's initiation, we intend to swallow up their country and remove it from history. Our forces crossed over the border immediately, and our infantry who had been following the Mayan Scouts ambushed and destroyed them with minimal casualties.
    We also discovered incoming Persian forces heading for the tiny American city of San Francisco! With Persia and the Zulu jumping on them, we did what we could and used some of our forces to block the city off.
    On the Mayan-Roman front, after razing the norther border city and constructing a highway above the rubble, we saw that they had a transport network leading into the heart of their empire. Their greatest advantage would now be used against them!
    We also had the birth of a great scientific mind, Leonardus of Vincium, a small town near Rome. He initiated an age of discovery to last for many years.
    In 530 BC, we discovered the strongest unit of the Mayan Army: The Javelin Thrower. But these fools were primitive and out of date. Our Medieval Infantry had twice the power they did, and cut them to pieces. We then attacked Uxmal, another northern Mayan city. The city was taken and destroyed, just like the first one. We then aimed to take the central city of Calakmul, which was further along the road and was connected to the rest of our empire. Our strategists said it would be worth holding, unlike the other two.
    In the East, we continued to block the American borders. Our intention was to keep the Persians and Zulu out, but let the Americans pass through. We also quickly conquered Calakmul and fortified it.
    A siege began on Calakmul, with the Mayans positioning forces to retake the city. From the inside the walls, our siege engines fired upon their large army. But our troops were of better quality, and it was expected that soon the conquest of the Mayan realm would resume.
    And there, our lesson ends at 490 BC. Tomorrow's lesson will be shorter, don't worry.
    And before you go, a few maps...

Roman Empire -

East:

Central:

Northwest:

Southwest:

Calakmul Region:

12. Tani Coyote

Here, my students, you can see a map of the Roman Kingdom in 500 BC. Around this time, reforms were carried out that dramatically specified political subdivisions. No longer was there just 'provinces' and the 'national capital'. The Monarch who ruled at this time was incredibly efficient. He chopped the provinces into several divisions:

Imperial Provinces- These provinces were under the control of the Federal Bureacracy, headed by the Monarch. National law and Provincial law were synonymous.

-Byzantium Province
    -Mesopotamia Province

Noble Provinces- These provinces were ruled by a group of nobles, with one noble chosen by the King to serve as the governor. Essentially oligarchies with an appointed first among equals. They could have some of their own laws, but they had to be approved by the Monarch. If a province was close enough to the frontiers, regardless of population it could become a noble province or Imperial Province.

-Lower Aegyptus
    -Dacia
    -Upper Aegyptus
    -Aechea
    -Syria
    -Anatolia
    -Indus Romanum

Territories: Territories are relatively low population provinces that are administered by a Monarch-appointed governor. They are in all other aspects essentially the same as an Imperial Province.

-Iran Territory
    -Inculta(Latin for 'desert') Territory
    -Arretium Territory
    -Cyrenaica Territory

And finally, there are military occupied zones, which are not permanent provinces. This a status given to regions during war or times of crisis, where the normal legislature is suspended and the army and law enforcement is given full emergency power. During the time of this map, only the Monarch could instate or remove this provincial status. If the province is born in war time, especially from a large scale war, parts of it may be added to old provinces, or it may be broken into several smaller ones.

On a side note, you can see other important aspects, such as the Trans-Iranian Highway, some major bodies of water:

-Mediterranean
    -Crimson Sea(Real life Red Sea)
    -Roman Gulf(Real life Persian Gulf)
    -Indian Sea(Called this cuz not all of it has been seen yet by our primitive Romans. ;P)

And finally 5 of the largest and/or most strategically important cities:

-Anatolium
    -Ravenna
    -Rome
    -Neapolis
    -Byzantium

13. Theryman

Theryman King

Your empire is a bit spread out, but with no corruption, I guess it does not matter as much...

You should have modded the game to allow the legions to build roads- it would have made it more historically accurate, and easier to wage war.

14. Tani Coyote

Well in good news, I have another map I intend to play once wrapping this up. :3 One which will allow the Romans and Persians to have more powerful Legions, and the Greeks to have a more powerful hoplite. I'll take your idea on it though and give the legions that ability, in order to balance out how the Persian Immortal will be a bit stronger.

Thanks for the post, I was starting to think I was wasting my time. <_<;

15. Tani Coyote

A History of Rome (500 BC - 200 BC) - By Tanner Bates/Taniciusfox

Note: Sorry there's not many pictures guys...got caught up in gameplay. ^_^;

Lesson eight!

Now if you recall, our forces were facing the brunt of the Mayan Army in our recently captured city of Calakmul. Our soldiers waited, and surely enough, we destroyed their javelineers and all their forces on the edge of their territory. Now it was time to press the attack!
    We were positive their leader, who called himself Smoke Jaguar, was probably sweating quite a bit, as if we captured or destroyed the city to the west of Calakmul, we wouldn't be too far from his palace in Chichen Itza.
    In 430 BC, we took Yaxchilan. This was the city west of Calakmul, on the route to Chichen Itza. Despite the city's massive population and large(in comparison to most Mayan cities) garrison, few of the 150,000 people inside resisted Roman rule. We were welcomed with open arms by the people! We then turned our eyes west, it was time to crush the Mayans in their capital.
    The years between 430 and 410 BC showed grimace for the Zulu. Their ally of convenience, Persia, deserted them. The vast Immortal Hordes of Persia would no longer harass America. And unfortunately for Maya, hordes of powerful, fast moving Knights were about to descend on them. The Medieval Infantry was about to be replaced as the primary soldier.
    By 370 BC, many core Mayan cities had fallen under Roman rule. Our forces were poised to strike at Chichen Itza. It was time to press the attack. Roman Trebuchets took aim, lobbing fireballs and rocks at the Mayan defenders. After a long battle, we defeated the Mayans and took their capital. A quick search of the palace found no Smoke Jaguar! (All of their leaders had that name oddly.) Apparently he had slipped out the backdoor as we fought his forces, setting up a new capital to the northwest in the city of Lagartero.
    Smoke Jaguar gave his people a speech, and it roughly translated as:

"Roman dogs big bad bullies. We kill them with club. We Mayans fight until bitter end. Instigator Jaguar promise free bananas to all who help."
    Our geneticists today believe that this speech is linguistic proof that the Mayans and Inca were relatives. (We had geographical proof.)

But alas, with 370 BC, much of the Mayan heartland was under the jurisdiction of the Roman Empire. A failed diplomatic session with Smoke Jaguar revealed to us that we had only taken about a third of their cities, however. But we were sure that number would increase soon, with the collapse of Chichen Itza, surely the strongest of their cities weren't too far away? Not only in distance but also from being in Roman hands.
    Decades went by, Monarchs rose and fell, with constant advances made on the Mayans. 330 was marked by the fall of the Mayan capital once again. Once again Jaguar ran and established a capital at Lazapa, far to the southwest of of Lagartero. Since Jaguar was running away from us so much, the military government jokingly considered renaming Chichen Itza to 'CHICKEN Itza'. With the fall of Dzibilchaltun in the East, the Eastern Mayan Empire collapsed. It turned out the Eastern Mayan Empire was what we had conquered, not the Central Mayan Empire. The Mayans were even more doomed, with half their empire under a foreigner's control.
    Even in the Midst of war, our empire continued to expand peacefully as well. More colonies were established on the North African coast, and with enough work, soon valuable saltpeter would flow into our economy and be used to make gunpowder, which could be used to create the new 'cavalry' and 'musketmen' units our military strategists were rambling about. We also were settling Southern Italia and more of Inculta. Soon we intended to expand in India as well!
    The invention of the Printing Press around 300 BC allowed great advances. For the first time, we could trade communications, thus linking the world together! We capitalised on introducing the world to eachother first, bringing nations like the Inca out of splendid isolation. And all this made the Kingdom very rich! Our economy gained THREE TRILLION from all the trading, signifying prosperity. While we squandered a large amount establishing embassies to all the new countries, we still remained incredibly rich.
    Further occupation occured in the Mayan Kingdom. Another failed agreement showed that Jaguar and his Kingdom only had 4 major cities left in it. The Roman Monarch came to a decision: We would terminate them for good. No one would ever know of the Mayans existence.
    A steady flow of immigrants sent by Carthage flowed into Rome, and they were given jobs connecting the Black Caspian sea to the north to Mesopotamia. Those settlements were isolated despite being so close to the capital, the irony.
    The settlement of Lauriacum was established in 290 BC. This signified constant Roman territories all the way from the Nile Delta to the conquered lands. We also deduced that, in combination with the Mayan conquests, we now had control of every part of the Nile. As a result, nobody could dam the rivers and ruin our crop(a large part of the Roman crop came from the Nile valley)
    With the near complete neutralisation of the Maya, much of the empire returned to peace-time production, to build infrastructure that had been put on hold.
    Bad news came in 250 BC, with the discovery of Education. The Temple of Artemis, which inspired religion in all our people, was made obsolete through new Theology and Education. Irreligion swept across much of the land, with reform religions sprouting up in face of the new evidence, along with a temporary surge of atheism. The resulting loss of religion as a state tool caused the destruction of temples and mass dissatisfaction.

Further problems arose when for some odd reason we could no longer settle the vast world. The age of settlement seemed to have reached an end. This led the government to one conclusion: To expand we would have to conquer.

And a conquest it was shortly after! The last city and the last Mayan capital fell to us. Jaguar was caught and executed, much to the celebration of his own people. Roman law and institutions were constructed, infrastructure was put in place, the poor region of the Mayan lands was about to hit an economic surge. The Roman empire had practically doubled in size from the Mayan conquest, and the great 'Tiger of the Tigris River' was readying to pounce on it's next victim. The Mayans were lost to history, never having found one friend in their age besides Rome.

And so, the Monarch of the day, Tigrisius, met with his advisors to come to a decision:

His Domestic Advisor: "I say we should work on building more schools, and new temples to re-instate happiness."
    She made a very good point. Romans wouldn't support a war if it came with the detriment of their lives.
    --------
    His Trade and Resources Advisor: "I believe we should acquire more resources and luxuries, your highness."
    He was tempted to have HER hanged(she said that EVERY time). Yes, her. Just because women weren't allowed in power at the time, didn't mean they couldn't advise it.
    ----------
    His Foreign Advisor gave a surprising report: "Our reputation is very good, sir. Our conquest of the Maya is a secret that only the Roman people know. Everyone who once hated us loves us thanks to the generous aid we have been giving to the weak Americans to help them in their war. Oh, and in addition sir, you have a proposal by the Mayan population."
    Tigrisius was surprised. "A proposal by the conquered people?"
    The Foreign Advisor nodded. "Yes, it seems the Mayan people are willing to offer their crown to you and make you King of their country."
    "And why can't I just annex them and make them part of the Roman country?"
    "That might inspire a revolt sir, but they say they won't revolt on two conditions."
    "And they are?"
    "Well, first you must leave the country as technically independant, but you will be able to reign as it's supreme King."
    "The second?"
    "Well, they want you to create some sort of absurd 'council' that they could be represented on, just to make sure nothing goes wrong. However, if you fulfill their demands, you will be King of both Rome and the Mayans, which would make you a King above a normal King. It would also make the Roman Empire technically be two countries, but sharing a common foreign policy and a common leader."
    "Well...as crazy as it sounds...I'll accept it. But we need a compromise. I want this new council solely as an advisory body to let me know what the people themselves want."
    "Very well sir. But your domestic advisor would be the one you'd want to talk to about that I believe..."
    "Do I have to do everything?! What do I hire you people for?! You tell them, they're right next to you!"
    The Foreign Advisor turned and looked at the person two seats away. "His highness-"
    "I heard his majesty, EMPEROR of the Roman Empire." the Domestic advisor said.
    Tigrisius looked smug.

With a proclomation to the people with thunderous applause, Rome was truely an empire. It consisted of multiples lands and multiple people and cultures, with one strong leader, the Emperor, at the top.
    A new advisory body was constructed, the Parliament. At the bottom was the Plebian Council, consisting of one Roman for every foreign member. The Council was mostly for advisory.
    Carthaginian immigrants demanded representation as well. So it came to consist of 10 Romans, 1 Carthaginian, and 9 Mayans.
    There was also a house with the leading member of each noble family(which had far more real power). This house was not like the Congress of Republican countries(which seemed to be growing in number, with Carthage as the major leader), but still had de facto power.
    And finally the Monarch themselves, holding absolute power. While hardly constitutional, this showed that the Roman government was becoming more libertarian in nature.

Another meeting told Tigrisius that the Carthaginians might be ripe for partition. Their state was small and few natives lived in Roman lands. As well, word from the harshly Conservative nobility showed their support. They did NOT want a Republican revolution anywhere near Rome. And with the strong Republic of Carthage at the border, there was a belief such a thing could happen. So Rome mobilised, yet again preparing to let a new conflict rise out of the ashes of an old one...
    The 240's brought news of an Incan alliance against America with the Zulu. Ah well, nothing our Southern neighbors could really do.
    Suddenly we felt more compelled to help America. CARTHAGE had chosen to join in on a war against America. Our nobles cheered on, as this meant that personal interests crossed Republican lines. So we now had our scapegoat for war. We would attack Carthage based on protecting the proxy state of America. Hopefully we could cause the Zulu to cave in and declare war on them too. Tangled alliances would create instability. Instability would create Roman domination.
    In 210 BC, a quick and brief meeting with the Carthaginians revealed we had declared war and our forces instantly crossed the border. The treaty of Mycenae and the treaty of Munich respectively brought Greece and Germany into the war. Carthage was about to feel the wrath of the whole continent of Europe.
    The isolated town of Malaca on the Adriatic coast fell to Rome with some difficulty, but it showed Carthage would suffer Roman domination. The fall of Leptis Minor, the city touching Rome's northern border, accelerated Carthage's decline. Two small towns had fallen, and it was hoped that soon much of Carthage would fall.
    And we'll end our lesson with how over a thousand knights set up camp at a hill to the south of Leptis Magna, a large city of the Carthagian empire, with a population nearing 600,000. It was hoped that capturing it would put a major hole in Carthage's production and income. Leptis was also in the Carthaginian heartland, not too far from the capital. Don't worry, the first Punic war is only beginning!

16. A Revolutionary

A Revolutionary Beating the Drums

I see you've run into the 512-city limit for the world. It can be quite odd on extra huge maps like this when, because of the city limit, there is so much open land left. Keep up the story.

17. Tani Coyote

Yes...I rather hate the limit. T.T

18. Luumi

Luumi Chieftain

Make sure to use colonies to get the resources, as you won't be able to settle near them anymore... Also remember to build up culture to gain more territory! :)

19. Tani Coyote

Eeep! Sorry guys, got caught up with real life stuff(friend kept inviting me over this week), but this post is just to show I, nor this thread have perished! Update coming soon hopefully. :3 Hope the evil storm doesn't knock my game out though. <w<

20. Starkow

Starkow Baby Thor