importance of great library

thank you all!

The National College is what really boosts the science output. Try to play some test game or starts, where you focus on growing the capital, build library and granary. Maybe Stonehenge or the Pyramids or another wonder you can use. While at the same time beeline for Philosophy. Then build the Nat College and from there spread some cities.

You can also try to squeeze out a second city in this approach, but it will be a good thing if you have the gold to buy the library straight up in that city, so you don't delay yourself. This is most easilly done with the Liberty policies, while the single city approach can use Tradition (wonder bonus and growth and happiness from capital size)

Great library has waned in importance since G&K broke the Civil Service slingshot. If you're playing Vanilla, though, it is mission critical. The Civil Service Slingshot is just broken.

I see the Great Library as more of a hindrance now than anything else. After moving up to Immortal, I kind of lost my wonder whoring mentality (didn't really have much choice).

I tried an Immortal cultural game recently where I went for the GL to get to Philosophy early so I could get The Oracle. My growth and everything else really suffered whilst I built the GL - though amazingly I did manage to get it before the AI.

Although its not easy to get on Emp or above, you may still want to prioritise it as Korea (and maybe Babylon) as they get an extra boost from their UA.

I don't think the bonus is any different that the one of a library, so it doesn't count.

I don't think the bonus is any different that the one of a library, so it doesn't count.

GL gives you Great Scientist points generation, which you don't have any other option for in the early game. And since both these nations have additional bonusses from GS (Babylon +50% generation and Korea +2 science when great person settled) I would say it does count.

I think what Avatan means is that the special one-time RA-like beaker boost that Korea enjoys is the same for any science building built in the capital - library or GL - so if you are aiming for that, just build a library.

I haven't checked whether Korea can get a double boost if he rush buys a library a turn or two before he completes the GL. It may be that the only reason GL gives Korea a science boost is that it includes a free library. Has anyone tested that?

If timed properly, GL = Metal Casting, which is usually a 20-25 turn research. Gets you into medieval and then you can go Steel. First to Longswordsman usually takes a major military advantage.

If you are playing anything over Emporer, you will be quite a bit behind at that point, which makes LSman crucial to survival - especially if you are near aggressive AI's.

Top Bottom