[IMPORTANT] Map Creation for WTP

raystuttgart

Civ4Col Modder
... but no idea how to convert maps to the new format.
As of now it is not possible to simply "convert" maps from Vanilla / TAC to RaR / WTP or vice versa.
You would basically need to still edit the Map file by e.g. Notepad ++ and make it compatible - which is a lot of effort though.

RaR / WTP have simply changed too much. :dunno:
(Terrains, Terrain Features, Units, Professions, Map Settings, ...)

The only thing that works is:
1) Create a Map by WorldBuilder (using RaR / WTP) - you can of course pregenerate a base by MapScript first.
2) Then edit the Map by e.g. Notepad++ to set the advanced settings

I will explain the most important aspects for Randomized Scenario Maps.
(Fixed Scenario Maps are generally a bad idea - while a mod is still in heavy development
- because every bigger change in Units / Professions / Goodies / Bonus Resources / Nations, ... can break them.)

For an example see "Two Continents".
(If you want to have it easy, you can simply copy and paste the map beginning description from there and adjust it.)

1) Settings for "Native Spawning"

(To configure which types of Natives Tribes the Map will spawn.)

Spoiler :

The following settings will generate Native Tribes from all regions.
(North America, Central America and South America.)

1 = generate them
0 = do not generate them

Careful though!!!

If you want to play a Gigantic Maps you will need to have all of them set to "1".
Otherwise it will not find enough tribes it can use.

Code:
   WBNorthAmericanNative=1
   WBSouthAmericanNative=1
   WBCentralAmericanNative=1

2) Settings for Spawning Civs randomly
(You will always at least have to create 2 empty slots for Wild Animals and Archbishop)

See "Begin Player" - "End Player" entries in Map File.
Consider the Map Size for the number of Player Slots (starting with 0).

Spoiler :

Empty entries will allow you to configure them in Custom Scenario or to have the game fill them.

The last 2 Player entries must be empty !!!
(In these 2 the game will generate Wild Anmials and Archbishop)

So if you want to play with all 49 players (it will be the entries 47 and 48)
Code:
BeginPlayer
   Team=47
   LeaderType=NONE
   CivType=NONE
EndPlayer
BeginPlayer
   Team=48
   LeaderType=NONE
   CivType=NONE
EndPlayer

If the map already contains Wild Animals and Archbishop, replace them by the empty ones!
(Otherwise you have Wild Animals and Archbishop twice - which will be causing problems.)

3) Settings to Randomize Goodies and Bonus Resources
(Just necessary if you want to randomize Goodies and Bonus Resources.)

See "Begin Map" - End Map" entry in Map File.

Spoiler :

These 3 entries at the end will randomize Goodies, Terrain Features (Jungle, Trees, ...) and Bonus Resources or not.
If you set them to true, it will randomly regenerate them. (Also overwriting the ones you had placed manually.)
If you set them to false, you should have placed all of them manually. (Which you may want to do.)
Code:
BeginMap
   Randomize Features=true
   Randomize Resources=true
   Randomize Goodies=true
EndMap

-------

Again, look at the existing examples (e.g. Two Continents).

The things mentioned above can be changed pretty safely, if you follow those basic instructions.
Do not change however what you do not understand or otherwise you can easily break a map.

-------

I am pretty sure that I had once already written a longer guide for map creation with RaR, but I currently can not find it. :dunno:
(It is simply years ago and I got old. :D)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I just ping this thread, because I recently get questions again about "Map Making in WTP".

Best regards
ray

Please remember:
You need to edit the Maps with e.g. Notepad++ after saving them in WB again.
Then do the settings as the thread explains above.

Most importantly:
The last 2 Player entries must be empty !!!
(In these 2 the game will generate Wild Anmials and Archbishop)

If you are not sure how to do it, compare with existing maps like e.g. "Two Continents".
(Open it with Notepad++ and check the first sections of the Map. Again, read above first.)

I bump this thread again, because some supporters have started to help us create maps for "Plains". :)

Ray: would it be a good idea to sticky this? Plus you mentioned longer guide for map creation with RaR. Any chance it can be resurrected?

Top Bottom