IMPORTANT: Playing Vanilla and Warlords on Windows 10

So I am still having trouble. :( I have the steam version of BtS running the Buffy mod but I still get an error saying my game won't valid for HoF use or crashes when I try to load a BtS starting save. I might fix my old Win7 machine just so I can play again.

So I am still having trouble. :( I have the steam version of BtS running the Buffy mod but I still get an error saying my game won't valid for HoF use or crashes when I try to load a BtS starting save. I might fix my old Win7 machine just so I can play again.

When you say BTS starting save, I assume you mean a BOTM save, right? If so, I've seen that a lot myself and it usually happens so fast that you don't see an error message. However, usually that is a result of an assets issue. (speaking of which @Noble Zarkon , we really need an updated asset checker for 005)

The "not valid for HOF" issue could be a number of things, but I'm not sure what steps you've taken in terms of the Steam version and the general tweaks most everyone must do for BUFFY. Let us know and we can work from there. You should be able to get it to work on your 10 machine.

I believe I have activated the beta version. This is the error.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    2.2 MB · Views: 346
Where can I find the asset checker?

I just installed a fresh PC running Win10 and its been a while that I tried to get Civ working (any flavour). I got it working by sort of following the first two Vista/Win7 changes listed in the HoF. (http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista)

That's also where the Assets Checker is hiding.http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=assetschecker though I dont recall having to use it.

So, quick summary:
- change properties of all files under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword to not be read only (see the Win7/Vista page for details)
- change C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe to 'run as admin' (its in the compatibility tab if you right click on it and select Properties)

edit: and I should say I cannot double click on a save... I need to open Civ first and load the save from there.

Thanks for the Neil, it's getting better. I don't get the error message any longer. However, the game still crashes when I try to load a Botm starting save. :(

Just crashes? You mean, it does nothing when you start a game? Does it display any dialog box with any information in it before it crashes?

Top Bottom