IMPORTANT: Support page & New Fix for Radeon Cards

I've been wrestling with Civ 4 trying to get it to work since Friday. I have a Radeon 9600.

I did all the stuff on the 2kgames website but it didn't help. After I did the unpak, the system would start to load the game, reach INIT ENGINE then crash to desktop. Now I have cleared the cache, the game loads and appears to work fine!

i have tried everything on this damn thread and the ****er wont work, start loading, the loading bar gets to 'XLM' or something, then nothing, just stays on windows and the fan slowly fades to dust. This is so infuriating i have cried several times like a small girl. I have a 9800 pro. 3.2 AMD 64, xp with sp2, a gig of RAM, wha more do the bastards want. I have literally tried everything suggested, wasted hours, i know there are others in my position with similar systems that just wont work, someone please help!!!!!

also, how can they get awya with releasing something with clear problems for ATI users, when ATI users makes up around 50% of the friggin market?????

someone, anyone, help me, make it work....

I too am in tears.

I spent over 9 hours this weekend trying various fixes reading 1000s of threads on here to try and resolve the problem. Everytime I load it I get to 'Init Engine' and it stops then if i crtl-alt-del the game and try again i get the 'failed to initialize renderer issue'

I am on:

1.7mhz P4
Radeon 9800
640mb RAM

Hope the patch sorts this out.

I have a problem when I want to remove the previous drivers and I cannot see an ATI uninstall utility that the instructions from the take2 site. What can I do to remove these drivers because I have done everything else and I still get the error.

EDIT. I might have found the solution.

EDIT2. I still get that erro after trying everyithing and My computer easily matches the minimum specs for the graphics card and passes the recomended for everything else. [pissed]

I feel very lucky - Athlon 2200+, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9700, and I haven't had any problems. Worked straight from the install - the game does slow down due to the memory leak after running for about 4 hours play, but that's the only issue I've seen. (My Radeon drivers are fairly recent though).

I've just noticed that when my "black terrain" becomes normal terrain that I still can not see resources like cattle, horses, pigs, etc. I can see their "shadows" and the other resources.

Just an FYI.

Just got the game, and it works fine. I have:

Card: Radeon 9800XT with 256 MB Mem
Mem:1 GB

Before I got the game, I removed all previous version of Catalyst drivers with the removal utility, and installed the latest drivers. When I installed the game, it installed DirectX and rebooted. After the reboot, I installed Civ4, and it works fine. No graphical glitches or erros.

I have given up :(

Using Radeon 9600, and no matter what I do, even the things on the homepage here, it won't work. It's the same error everytime.

So much for Civ 4...

Not working :( I reinstaled OS, drivers for my video card (ATI x700). Firaxis fix not working too. The situation is the game initializing and when is "Init engine" then window disapper and thats over. Nothing more. I got not ideas what to do?

I did litterally everything on this list, including moving the movie file, changing the art file, etc. I installed and unisntalled my ATI drivers(two types, actually) again and again.

However, what it all came down to was a simple flaw in my monitor. I have known about the fact that my monitor is not a normal screen size, and this led to BF2 problems as well.

To fix this, I finally went back into the ini I used to disable movies and found a line for full screen mode. I changed it to ask. When it popped up, I said no.

It worked.

Notably I did have everything else on this list done as well, so you may need to do that too, but it worked like a charm.

i got the got the game itself to run beautifully with the unpak fix... but the wonders and opening movie still stutter... but not the world creation screen anymore.. loads the maps and save games alot faster too..

always assume that anything is possible :) dont believe its impossible till youve tried it.. because if you believe what people say... it is impossible.. though it does cause chaos sometimes.. and i lost blood getting this game to work... I moved the radeon from my day to day computer to the one i play games on and stardust drew blood while putting it in.

radeon 9100 64 meg card... debating getting a 128 meg... 1g ram.. before i got civ 4 it was 256... i decided it was time to upgrade the ram.. and civ4 was worth it to me to do so whereas no other games were... 2.7 g cpu...

win me.. lol.. i bought it with the idea that i would install xp to play it if i absolutely had to... but tried to install it and short of the problem everyone was having with the game play on the radeons being jerky/slow.. it worked even from the start without any trouble

Ive been working on this all weekend, and I still can't get it to work. I have a Radeon 9550.

The game shows the loading screen, then it stops after the init engine or something, and it just quits back to the desktop and nothing happens.

Ive done everything on the firaxis page about 10 times, the uninstall game, ati drivers, reinstall game, directX, drivers. That doesnt do anything.

Ive done the unpak art file thing, that didnt help, and i did the clear cache thing, and that hasnt done anything. The game still just quits back to desktop after init engine...

Does anyone have any other ideas??? im getting ridiculously frustrated...

TheFourGuardian said:
However, what it all came down to was a simple flaw in my monitor. I have known about the fact that my monitor is not a normal screen size, and this led to BF2 problems as well.

To fix this, I finally went back into the ini I used to disable movies and found a line for full screen mode. I changed it to ask. When it popped up, I said no.

It worked.

Notably I did have everything else on this list done as well, so you may need to do that too, but it worked like a charm.

What is this .ini file and where is it located? I'm going to give this a try as the .exe seems to be running in the backgroud just fine, no errors or anything, but my display gets messed up (well, set to another resolution). I had a display issue with B&W2 which I found an easy workaround. If I could set Civ IV to ask, even if the game still doesn't run, that would be a lot more considerate to my system.

As a lifelong fan of the Civilisation series I am nothing short of disgusted that so many of us have been given the finger by the game's manufacturer's. Like many of you I have anticipated the release of CIV 4 with relish and after such painstaking patience, to finally own the game for it not too work is too much. If there is a known issue with ATI Radeon graphics cards, where the hell is the necessary patch to fix these problems.

I have spent my entire weekend trying to get this game to work. I like many keep getting the “graphics failed to render, check graphics card and direct x” error message. I have followed this thread, looked at the "graphics renderer" problem fix on the support section of the CIV 4 site and tried the Art Pack patch. To the best of my ability I have done everything I thought I needed to do, uninstalling drivers, installing 5.5, 5.10 or even 5.11 more recent drivers for the game still not to work.

My computer has barely been out of the packaging and its purchase was partly motivated by my desire to play this game. My spec is as follows:

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 640
3.2GHz, 800MHz FSB
1024Mb DDR RAM
250Gb Hard Disk Drive
DVD Re-Writer Drive
256Mb ATI RADEON 9550 Graphics
Wireless Keyboard + Mouse
TV Tuner + Remote Control
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center
Samsung 19" TFT Flat Panel Monitor

Please, please I would dearly appreciate any advice or suggestions from the Civilisation fanatics’ community. For in my haste in trying to get this game to work I may have missed a possible solution.

For example, has anyone else had problems with the Windows XP Media Centre operating system when trying to install CIV 4?

Hmm, having said earlier I have no problems, actually it seems I have no problems at the standard map size. Try playing on a large map, however, and the computer resets itself instead of going to turn 1!

Man this is so frustrating, when are they going to come out with some sort of a patch??

Does anyone have any other ideas or tricks that have worked?

Radeon 9550, it quits back to desktop after 'Checking XMI' (which comes right after the loading screen). No error message, nothing, its like i never tried running it...

Ive done all the unpack art stuff, reinstalling drivers and games...clearing caches...

I've gone through the fix for ATI graphics cards from the Civ 4 website, but still get the renderer error message. I've downloaded PakBuild v2.14, but whenever I try to unpack the Art0.FPK file the program freezes up.

Has anybody else experienced this problem or have any ideas on a fix?

Top Bottom