IMPORTANT: Support page & New Fix for Radeon Cards

Great to hear you guys got the problem fixed. :)

I noticed the number of online users has dropped now... They are probably all Radeon users leaving the forum to play Civ4. :( :D

I just uninstalled the drivers for my graphics card. I even used the ATI Catalyst uninstaller. Then I pulled the graphics card and replaced it with a brand new ATI 256mb 9250 radeon. Installed the drivers and still the da** thing does not work. I agree man this is getting frustrating expecially when you paid $50 bucks for the thing.

Tried it at around 6PM - it worked for my 9600 XT 256MB ATI video card. I haven't been able to tell who it was exactly that came up with this fix but it is definitely appreciated. However, I think it is terrible that I had to come here to find it. I couldn't even find any reference to the problem at either the Take 2 or Firaxis websites - you would think that they would want to help their customers as soon as possible. Oh well, I guess I should be happy that some indutrious person or people came up with it - it sure has been a god send and lifted the deep disappointment I have been feeling since I first discovered the problem yesterday. Once again I shout THANK YOU!

Instead of an assets folder is says Custom assets and there isnt an art0.FPK file. What should I do and has anyone else come across this?

Does not work. 9550 and all games on the market work fine. To tweak and skew my system this late in the game of sftware development is a travesty. You suck Firaxis and 2k, now fix it cause I don't like the feeling of pissing 50 dollars out...

It works now! Radeon 9550. On a happy note, I have not been subject to any
jerkiness, weirdness or any ness while playing.
Eh, except of course, I was unable to get it to function for a day.
Well, no hard feelings here. It works now anyhoot.

Cheers!

Ted

hey i got it to work. After i set that second graphics card up. I uninstalled Civ 4. Then I restarted my computer and then reloaded it again. Then I tried running it and it works. I have not went past the title screen yet. I just wanted to let u guys know. Be my luck it will crash when I am in the middle of playing or something else will be wrong. But definatly a patch needs released to fix this universally. So this does not happen again. Good luck guys.

Thank you thank you thank you!
I swear I still have tears in my eyes. When I saw the opening animation start I just about pee'd myself.

I am at the Main Menu...
I'm going in. Wish me luck.

OBTW - Radeon 9550 and I followed those instructions exactly.

Appears they are saying those running less then XP will have an issue with the unpacker, but since they know the issue now look for an updated version posted soon. Hopefully this will help correct some of the graphic issues seen by people that did get it to run, just call me Beta tester number 2676 :lol:

Alll sorted here now too :crazyeye: :goodjob:

XP Sp2
ATI 9600 256mb

mrjepson said:
I get the error:

"The procedure point AttchConsole could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."

I even put on a fresh install and still got the same error.

I'm running Win2k, by the screenshots this was run on WinXP, could that be the problem? Is there a similar utility for Win2k?
Yes, this utility does not yet work with Win2K.

Try using the one listed a bit ways down this page:

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140859&perpage=25&pagenumber=3

larenzo9 said:
Tried it at around 6PM - it worked for my 9600 XT 256MB ATI video card. I haven't been able to tell who it was exactly that came up with this fix but it is definitely appreciated. However, I think it is terrible that I had to come here to find it. I couldn't even find any reference to the problem at either the Take 2 or Firaxis websites - you would think that they would want to help their customers as soon as possible. Oh well, I guess I should be happy that some indutrious person or people came up with it - it sure has been a god send and lifted the deep disappointment I have been feeling since I first discovered the problem yesterday. Once again I shout THANK YOU!
It's an official fix... I heard they're waiting to come up with a more elegant 'patch' solution before posting anything official on the website. Either that or it just hasn't made it up yet. The website is run by Take2 so they might not know anything about this yet (aside from the support calls :crazyeye:).

MRM said:
No - not playing yet :(

I have no error massage any more. The Game simply don't start ( no hanging, just dissapearing as if it was closed )

how many files are in the pak ? it extracted only one - is this correct ? ( CivGameCoreDLL.dll

System

AMD 2400 +
Radeon 9600 Pro

I'm having the same issue. I have a Radeon 9550. The game seems to dissapear.

Doesn't work for me. I have the Radeon 7500. Could it be that im using Omega drivers? I couldn't get the catalyst one to install.

By the way, im getting the black terrain and crazy leaders.

Edit: Should I try installing the drivers from Dell's site even though theyre from 2003? I think the 5.10 wouldn't work on a laptop, but i might be wrong.

dar317 said:
Doesn't work for me. I have the Radeon 7500. Could it be that im using Omega drivers? I couldn't get the catalyst one to install.
Radeon 7500 is as old as GeForce2, so you most likely would need to buy a new graphics card to make the game look good.

I'd buy a new one if i could, but alas, its a laptop. I just want to figure out if itll work at all or return it.

Iwant2playtoo said:
Instead of an assets folder is says Custom assets and there isnt an art0.FPK file. What should I do and has anyone else come across this?

I am having the same problem and I am also wondering what I should do.

Colonel Kurtz said:
OK that works insofar as Civ 4 now loads and I can start a game, however it now crashes to the desktop without fail when I hit Enter or click the button to end the first turn on any game.

Any ideas on this latest hurdle?
Saw this at Apolyton:

For those who apply the patch and now suffer a CTD after the load screen, I had that problem and solved it.

The patch simply caused it to get by the init but go straight to crashing to the desktop. So I actually took my graphics card out of the machine, swapping it with an old crappy card. After trying that card (didn't meet requirements - black land, Cheshire cat issues) I swapped in the new card, refreshed everything, reinstalled the game, applied the patch, and it works fine. Note that I have an ATI Radeon 9550 256.

So I suggest actually removing your graphics card from your system - deinstall it in Hardware Manager and if you can get a hold of another card, run your computer with that. Then reinstall entirely. Solver suspects, and I concur, that a new detection of the card may solve this new problem.
Perhaps trying a final reinstall for the graphics driver stuff may help now?

Top Bottom