Impromptu Chat With Apolyton Held!

Donovan Zoi

The Return
People of Fanatikou,

It was with much regret that I was unable to make last Friday's historic chat between ourselves, Apolyton, and Netatolia. To make up for it, I was able to chase down Trip and get him to round up some APO members for a quick clarification chat. Here's the latest, which some of you may already know.

No Financial Aid to CGN: Apolyton has decided that they are not going to assist CGN financially and have encouraged us to follow suit. Many of the Apolyton elite are of the mind that any help from us would be too little, too late.

CGN's Migration to Our Continent: Our allies are open to the idea of giving any CGN settlers a patch of their land. Logistics of this would have to be worked out when the time comes, but we may want to consider gifting part of our northern forest area to CGN. I am sure that this idea will be unpopular to most, but I want to at least discuss it in detail before it comes up officially.

For the record, I was the first one to mention it, in a pre-emptive sort of way. That land would be mostly corrupt for us, and I feel that it may give CGN a good foundation to build on. The benefits of this could be 3-tiered research, to give our continent a huge tech advantage over GWT.

I welcome all opinions on this, as it is a bit off the wall.

Gold-for-Tech Deal Fine As-Is: Apolyton has confirmed that they are satisfied with our current arrangement of 40gpt for all tech they research. They have just recently started Astronomy, but are now leaning toward the Chemistry/Physics/Magnetism route, presumably so they can begin Galleons/Frigates. This is not etched in stone however. In any case, this means.......

Immediate Military Assistance Postponed: Our allies are of the mind that any military assistance at this time would go to waste as well, since Navigation would most likely be about 20 turns away. They would rather build up a force of 80 Cavalry, 20 Muskets and 20 Cannons to launch an asault on GWT's FP zone in about 50-60 turns. They believe that the city of Rohrport may contain their FP, and that the first strike from our alliance would happen there to bring massive corruption to the area. I have several concerns about this proposal, but am willing to hear them out.

These are pretty much the basics. I have attached the chat for you to sift through the rest. As always, please post here with any questions or concerns.

Everyone check your email!!

I requested a screenshot of CGN's condition and got it from White Bandit of Poly. Pretty bleak outlook over there. :(

It's too large to attach and I am not using our file server for obvious reasons. The only option was to email it. :)

When reading the transcipt of the chat, I think you will see that Apolyton's motives towards us are genuine, and that we have nothing to fear from them. This sharing of CGN's key information is a big step in our future relations, so let's stop this talk of a possible betrayal by Poly and concentrate on the real threat: GWT.

Originally posted by Donovan Zoi
They have just recently started Astronomy, but are now leaning toward the Chemistry/Physics/Magnetism route, presumably so they can begin Galleons/Frigates.

I will agree with APO on this. Since the War in the West looks lost the battles will be on our land, so we will not need to transport troops. If APO can get Calavary while we build ships it will be a succsesful plan. The ships will not be used for transport but for costal managment. GWT will need a lot of ships to send to our continant, and even if we can stop a few it will be succseful.

The APO guys are real good. I agree, it was a constructive chat. I would say
We go their way and after building up some 10 riders we switch to muskets and catapults/cannons. We could also start galleys after harbors in our ports also for upgrades. In light of future mass upgrade we should start to pile up cash.

Those are just general thoughts.

We need to begin building up/saving up for World War I. It will decide the fate of this game. I'm all for giving CGN some of our northern lands.

I'm also in favor of giving CGN some of our northern lands. However, there should be an agreement allowing us to station our troops there, to help repel any GWT cross-ocean assault if necessary.

I wouldn't like the idea og CGN on our northern soil. Poly said they would set aside land and we need ours, as we are only a small nation.

Originally posted by Zarn
I wouldn't like the idea og CGN on our northern soil. Poly said they would set aside land and we need ours, as we are only a small nation.

Not to worry, Zarn. I haven't even given Poly the inclination that would be game for this. I just wanted to talk about it with the team first.

If worse comes to worst, we should be a good sport and donate some land. If CGN is going to share our continent, I would like them to be strong enough to help us out in tech if possible. The northern lands would most likely be over 50% corrupt anyway.

Giving them our land would make sense.... They'd be eternally indebted to us and we could exploit them for it. Kind of a colony meets puppet nation:goodjob:

Unfortunately I don't think most of the other's will agree with us. Still, they can act as a buffer if we put them on our coasts, we can make them grant us complete military acces and dissolve them if/when the time comes that they are expendable:)

One, CGN wouldn't want our military there as there would be no way for them to win. Two, GWT/GCA will attack CGN here, and then have a foothold on our continent.

But if we use all of our troops to ward the attackers off of CGN land and keep ourselves out of long waged wars. They'd be somewhat like the Historical Vikings of the Middle Ages, raiding but never getting complete control of any thing. Sure there are a lot of holes and I am propbbably completely off base but hey, it's just a thought;)

Originally posted by Zarn
One, CGN wouldn't want our military there as there would be no way for them to win. Two, GWT/GCA will attack CGN here, and then have a foothold on our continent.

I totaly agree.

One thing we have to remember is that, via tech, we plan to do whatever possible to field a superior navy, and use it to keep GWT from coming close to our continent. Time will tell if this will work, but I think it is a meritous plan. Especially if our Eastern Alliance can respond to GWT's Galleys with Frigates.

Another thing we need to do is to ensure that by the time Netatolia is conquered, we have some scouting Caravels at the very least. Like EN said, we need to see the GWT ships coming, and be able to react strongly. Even better(but unlikely), we should try to stage an offensive before GWT finishes of CGN. I just don't think we would be ready in time.

So, hang in there, everyone. Our goals at this point are uncertain and will most likely change from turn to turn. And as your President, I will do my utmost to ready our nation for any military scenario.

My point is that if we can combine military forces to keep off a joint attack from GWT/GCA, with permission from CGN and maybe get more troops from elsewhere, it will be easier than attempting to defend them in any other way. Protecting a concetrated group of cities and helping out an ally at the same time will help us. And if they are on the coast, it will also make a nice buffer zone, so if in the case we do lose we will not lose anything.

I am obviously not as in sync with the whole situation as most of you that hold some form of offices (which is a bit disheartening if you ask me because it is hard to be a semi-newbie and know what's going on) so if I'm completely off base just tell me.

I guess I'm just trying to make an effort to contribute to the team, so I'd appreciate it if I was totally wrong to be told I am so I can learn more about the situation :) . Thanks

Originally posted by NeoDemocrat
(which is a bit disheartening if you ask me because it is hard to be a semi-newbie and know what's going on)

Come to the chats with CGN and APO, most of the magic happens there.

I hope none of you take it offensively, I'm just trying to get feedback and see if I am on base. The thing is, I haven't download mIRC or any other IRC client. I will be sure to do so shortly, so I can get a better idea of what is going on.

Again I don't blame my being out of the loop on any of you, and if anything "oldbies" have done a lot to help us understand (such as the history thread). :thanx:

Top Bottom