1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Improve performance with Limit Worker mod

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by idragon, Oct 20, 2010.

1. idragon

idragon Chieftain

Hi Guys,

I have a decent PC, but due to horrible publisher (2k) CIV 5 was released unfinished, unpolished, etc, you know the story.

A great mate did some tests and found one of the problems of the optimization, more details here: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94139 and here: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94687

A player with the name "Perkus" made a mod to limit the workers to 1, by improving their movement and construction time, i tweaked that a little, but the original topic is here: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1227896&postcount=28

I am reposting this for people that i didnt found out this fix, while waiting for patch that should be in game in the release candidate FFS!

What this mod do?

Limits all civs and civ states to 1 worker. In my case the worker unit has 4 movement units, and most of the things takes 3 turns to build, besides road. Check the xml.

To install:

Copy the folder in the archive to the Mods folder in your My Documents/Sid Meyer Fail Civ 5/. Go in game to you the mods browser and install "Limit Workers for Faster AI Turns (v 1)".

File to download: http://www.mmorpg-center.com/links/click.php?id=32

Hope it helps, i am not even sure about the upcoming patch on turn time, so yeah...

Many thanks to: Azzer007, Perkus and Sombrus for making this possible
    Cheerios

2. 温柔的杀你

温柔的杀你 Chieftain

could you please tell us how to change the xml to limit the worker ?

3. Generals3

Generals3 Chieftain

While i think limiting CS workers to 1 is nice i don't think it's good for all civs even if they're faster . I think it will be extremely tedious to build railroad networks with only one worker. Isn't it possible to make a 3 worker limit for normal civs?

4. ShadowoftheDark

ShadowoftheDark Chieftain

+1. Having multiple cities with several improvements needed to work on is quite slow when you have 1 worker doing the road and the improvements at the same time.

5. Puer

Puer Chieftain

Open just second link from first post: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94687
    and you see that you must change this to increase workers:
    <MaxPlayerInstances>1</MaxPlayerInstances>
    1 = one worker can be build only
    3 = 3 workers can be build
    etc

btw, you can always capture slaves ...

6. Panda_Power

Panda_Power Chieftain

Wow! The game is so much faster with just one worker each and now there's real incentive to go after those barbarian camps to get and keep the workers they've captured from other civs.

Thanks for this!:)

7. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

/me wants source code access... so workers are the new but improved trade route recalculation resource hog :mischief:

8. Taneda Santôka

Taneda Santôka Chieftain

What would be the code to limit one worker per city owned ? Or even, one worker per city founded around the whole world ?

9. idragon

idragon Chieftain

After u install the mod, go to the MODS folder, and find Limit Workerd mod. There, there is xml file named: Limit Workers.xml

Open that with a decent xml editor, like notepad plus and edit as you want:

Example:

As you will see below by replacing MaxPlayerInstance number, u limit the workers population for each civilization, in this case 2.

Code:
    <!-- Limit each civ's building of workers to a maximum -->
    	<UnitClasses>
    		<Update>
    			<Where Type="UNITCLASS_WORKER"/>
    			<Set MaxPlayerInstances="2" />
    		</Update>
    	</UnitClasses>
    	<!-- Speed up worker movement speed -->
    	<Units>
    		<Update>
    			<Where Class="UNITCLASS_WORKER"/>
    			<Set Moves="3" />
    		</Update>
    	</Units>
    	<!-- Speed up build times for tile improvements & other work.  Note that 200 = 1 turn, 300 = 2 turns, 400 = 3 turns, etc.! -->
    	<Builds>
    		<Update>
    			<Where Type="BUILD_ROAD"/>
    			<Set Time="500" />
    		</Update>

10. idragon

idragon Chieftain

Unfortunately while this helps a lot towards speed, the game still has tons of problems.

On my e6750 dual core, 4gb Ram 800mhz, 1680x1050 (medium details, yeah lol, it works with full detail AA but maybe i get some increase in speed), and 5670 with 1gb DDR4, 775, 1050 i believe, Win 7-64bits, still is a hog.

Fortunately i moded my game so now i play with a decent speed on a large map with 8 civs, and 5 civ states, and Limit Worker mod to 2.

11. idragon

idragon Chieftain

Limit the workers to 2 or 3, preferably 2, but remember with this mod, it increase the building speed, and movement speed, so overall tweaked is like before, but with a boost in speed.

I laugh my ass off, how we the player must fix this BETA, and pay for it. FFS!

Next CIV game i will pirate it, until i am sure it runs well, and its decent.

12. dfn

dfn Chieftain

++;

Anyone know the answer to the above question?

13. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Yes, you need dll access for it. Unless there's some crafty Lua way, that is.

14. Perkus

Perkus Chieftain

Heh, I'm the guy who put this mod together @ threw it up on the 2k forums. I didn't get any feedback whatsoever on it over there, so I pretty much dropped the idea. I don't find the speed so bad personally to need it - I only play smaller maps. I had no idea this had been posted & is being used here! Cool, so it wasn't a total waste of time after all. Thanks, idragon, for putting it up here.

Anyway, in my experience this has been improved a ton in patch .62, so I didn't think this was necessary at all any more.

And no, there is no simple way to code it to be based on the number of cities you have. You can raise the limit to 2 or 3, and speed up the work done easily enough by editing the XML file.

15. dfn

dfn Chieftain

Ok cool, thanks for the replies.

16. Unearthly

Unearthly Chieftain

I tried it with 2 workers and it seems the AI has more unimproved tiles than normal. I turned it on because I wanted to play a large map, which even with a good PC (i7 920@3.8, GTX 480) slows down at the end game. I hadn't tried since the new patch though, maybe I will.

17. idragon

idragon Chieftain

With the latest patch i saw an improvement in speed Perkus, but not by a lot. I still need to use the mod to actually have a good speed on 7 civs and 8 civ states after turn 300.

As for improvements i use 2 limit mod, and usually most of the cities of the AI have all improvements.

Thanks for the mod btw.

18. 温柔的杀你

温柔的杀你 Chieftain

I found out that the workers of AIs were easily captured, and a lot of fields were not improved. I change the worker to the combat unit, and can not be captured any more, but they may be killed during war. I have an idea, if the worked is killed during war, the AI can produce one more, but I don't know how to make it come true, can someone kindly tell me how to do this?

19. rf900

rf900 Chieftain

I think that with the global limit of 1 unit, if it is killed or capture then you can build another one as you no longer have one. I guess the AI is smart enough to build another worker once he has lost one.

20. ShadowoftheDark

ShadowoftheDark Chieftain

Has anyone had any issues where the game hangs after you captured your 3rd worker?