Improve Sorcery for AI

MiKa523

Nerdish by Nature
With all this talk that AIs can't use Mages and won't upgrade Adepts I was pretty surprised in my last game (always war) that Tebryn and Perpentach had and used mages, especially maelstorm and fireballs; It were only a few Mages though.
I guess the change that you can upgrade to Mage without a Mage Guild already helped the AI to upgrade an Adept as soon as he is ready; means Lvl 4.

Since the AI won't probably know how to use the spell system properly until "Ice" is introduced and all features are included, I think there should be a short-dated solution to improve the AI regarding sorcery.

My suggestion is that the AI gets, depending on the difficulty, a bonus on the rate the magic units get XP, kind of the arcane ability so to say.
This means at prince difficulty and above, where ppl look for a challenge, the AI's Adepts and Mages get faster XP than usual, whereas the rate is increased with higher difficulty.
The AI won't probably know how to defend Adepts and Mages properly as you can already see in current games, but at least those few Mages in their territory or attack stack are more dangerous, give the player more of a challenge, give the Civs using Sorcery a little buff and add more diversity to the battlefield.

My suggestion would to be just allow the AI to build mages and Arch mages until it can figure out how to use them. That way it will not be a big OOPS *WHEN* they do something stupid with their arch mage.

With all this talk that AIs can't use Mages and won't upgrade Adepts I was pretty surprised in my last game (always war) that Tebryn and Perpentach had and used mages, especially maelstorm and fireballs; It were only a few Mages though.
I guess the change that you can upgrade to Mage without a Mage Guild already helped the AI to upgrade an Adept as soon as he is ready; means Lvl 4.

Since the AI won't probably know how to use the spell system properly until "Ice" is introduced and all features are included, I think there should be a short-dated solution to improve the AI regarding sorcery.

My suggestion is that the AI gets, depending on the difficulty, a bonus on the rate the magic units get XP, kind of the arcane ability so to say.
This means at prince difficulty and above, where ppl look for a challenge, the AI's Adepts and Mages get faster XP than usual, whereas the rate is increased with higher difficulty.
The AI won't probably know how to defend Adepts and Mages properly as you can already see in current games, but at least those few Mages in their territory or attack stack are more dangerous, give the player more of a challenge, give the Civs using Sorcery a little buff and add more diversity to the battlefield.

I haven't yet played Fall Further but Xienwolf introduced an option where AI doesn't have to take in account units level to upgrade its units (hopefully i remember well how it functions ;) ).
From my really good experience with AI no building requirements, i suppose what Xienwolf made is the best temporary solution until AI is fully improved

Ah yeah, I recall that I've read about the option.
This is maybe an even better way to improve sorcery civs and the challenge the AI gives regarding magic.
Of course it's all or nothing, doesn't scale with difficulty and you have to use a modmod to get improved sorcery.
I guess the mages and archmages don't have many promotions either?

I'm curious though, wether this is an easy change in xml or whatever so I could change it without downloading and installing some modmod.

Top Bottom