1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Improved Forts and Engineers 2

Enhances the utility of defensive improvements and Military Engineers.

1. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Available on the Steam Workshop

This mod enhances the utility of defensive improvements (Fort, Great Wall, Roman Fort, and Alcazar) and Military Engineers.

Defensive Improvements
    Defensive improvements now grant the following to units in them:
    • +5 to healing rate
    • +1 sight range
    • Ability to see hidden units (like Privateers or upgraded Scouts/Rangers)
    • +4 defensive strength (same as vanilla)
    • 2 free turns of fortification (same as vanilla)
    The increased sight range should increase their usefulness for guarding large frontier regions and the increased healing makes them useful as front-line defensive fortifications.

Military Engineer
    The Military Engineer now has 4 base charges and a reduced cost.

Alhambra
    The Alhambra now provides +6 strength (up from +4) and 2 free turns of fortification to occupying units. Additionally, it grants Military Engineers 2 extra charges

Manual Installation
    Unzip the mod folder to Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods.

Compatibility
    Summer Update 2017
    compatible
    This is compatible with both Vanilla and the Vikings Scenario Pack DLC, as it uses triggers to update the Alcazar improvement.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    agonistes, Manifold and Littlebob86 like this.
  2. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

This mod is now included in my Omnibus mod! I will continue to support this mod individually as well, and changes in the individual mod may impact the Omnibus and vice versa.

3. Buni0ns

Buni0ns Chieftain

Haven't had opportunity to check but can naval units enter forts in this version of civ? If not that might be worth looking into for this mod since it would then allow for canals without a canal city or make 2 hex land canal-able via city and adjacent fort as well.

Thoughts?

4. DRen72

DRen72 Chieftain

No, naval units cannot enter a fort. However, I agree that is something I wish this mod could add.

5. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

Great work:goodjob:

...and is it currently possible to couple the improvements to the tech tree one by one?

6. truetom

truetom Chieftain

Yes, I would love to, used it in Civ5 and would love this option in Civ6.

7. Qwynn

Qwynn Chieftain

Is it intended that a unit garrisoned in forts reveal huge swaths of land? As in, 6-10 tiles away? As that seems to be what's happening in my game right now, and it's, uh -- it's amazing but I don't think it's intended.

8. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Saldrin likes this.
  9. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

I would love it if that functionality were something we could enable using simple database updates, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Personally I'd love it if Encampments could act as canals as well.

It is possible to require a prereq tech for every improvement, yes.

Hmm...you're probably experiencing some sight bonus stacking. :)

Units in a Fort on a Hill would receive +2 sight (+1 from the Fort, +1 from the Hill). If it's a Scout with +sight, then that would be +3. Hills and Mountains are revealed farther away than flat terrain, so you'll probably see distant peaks and hills from even further away.

But the Fort itself should only ever give +1.

10. Saldrin

Saldrin Chieftain

11. alexanderyou

alexanderyou Chieftain

What about adding several different kinds of 'forts':
    • ancient era: lookout tower
      • +1 view range
      • archery or masonry
    • classical era: guard tower
      • +1 view range, 1 turn of fortification
      • construction
    • medieval era: fort/castle
      • same as you have it now
    • renaissance era: star fort/trenches
      • same as now, but +8 defense instead of +4
      • siege tactics
    • industrial era: polygonal forts
      • same as above, but +2 view range instead of +1
      • military science
    • modern era: bunker
      • same as above, but +12 defense instead of +8
      • steel or electricity
    • atomic era: nuclear bunker
      • same as above, but +16 defense instead of +12
      • half the techs work here
    • information era:
      • none I guess? Doesn't matter by this point in the game XD
    I think this would make forts be relevant earlier and stay relevant later, without making them too over powered since you can just walk around them if you have a lot more troops.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Penkover likes this.
  12. alexanderyou

alexanderyou Chieftain

I am also getting the bug where if I build a fort on a hill, I go from seeing 2 tiles away to seeing 5 tiles away, and it's all tiles 5 away not just mountains and hills.

13. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

@Qwynn @alexanderyou I've been unable to replicate the extra sight issue with building forts on hills. What were the circumstances (i.e. what era, does it always happen regardless of unit type, etc)?

Regarding other fort types, it would definitely be simpler to add tech based increases to the current fort rather than adding in new forts entirely, so that may be something I consider. I have looked at trying to implement a "Watch Tower" improvement but the improvement artdefines are...confusing.

14. alexanderyou

alexanderyou Chieftain

I've had it happen to me as greece building a fort w/ military engineer on a hill then putting a warrior in it, and as Rome building a roman fort on a hill with a Legion. The extra sight persisted throughout the rest of the game. Maybe it's just interacting weirdly with one of my mods then? I have: 8 ages of pace, AI+, alertguard, city states- no free envoy, civ 6 improvements patch, detailed worlds, fish farms, halfunitandbuildingcost, improved combat, larger worlds, moar_units, productionqueue, tcs buffed resources, tcs improved aerodrome, tcs improved forts, tcs improved military engineer, tcs more barbarian xp, unit report screen, wonderous wonders.
    The only other thing that affects units is the improved combat mod, which gives all units +1 movement, and gives scouts +1 view range, but I haven't been putting scouts in the forts, so idk.

15. Qwynn

Qwynn Chieftain

I only play Rome, so I can only speak of my experience with roman forts.

Building a roman fort on a hill and stationing a unit it seems to initially provide about a +5 sight in all directions so long as the sight line isn't block by mountains or forest. This seems about right. I noticed things getting strange the longer the game went on. It seemed like each era gave the fort an ever increasing sight bonus. By the time I was in the modern era, the units stationed in my forts could see 20 tiles away.

I run a similar set of mods to @alexanderyou and I wonder if it has something to do with say, Larger Worlds or 8 Ages of Pace.

16. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Humm...I may need to play around with making it a UnitAbility instead of a modifier attached to the Fort. I'm a bit busy working on my Tech/Civic/Policy overhaul for my Omnibus mod at the moment, but I'll take a look at this once I've completed that.

Thanks for the reports.

17. alexanderyou

alexanderyou Chieftain

Yay, all I'm keeping the Civ VI improvements patch around for is the policy cards, I can't wait to just use your omnibus :p

18. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

19. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

So it turns out that the bug was caused by how I'd set up the code. Each time a new fort was built the sight bonus was added to every unit garrisoned in a fort throughout the entire map! So if units stayed on a fort for a long time they would gain the sight bonus from every fort built during that time.

I've redone all the fort bonuses as Unit Abilities now, so the bug should be fixed.

20. cof125

cof125 Chieftain

Hey may I use this mod in my overhaul mod mouse's rise of mankind really like what you did as usual, I'm working on a civilization 6 version of my mod for 5. Rise to power I used a lot of you're mods in it.