Improved Napoleonic conquest

BeBro

King of the Krauts
This is an update of Firaxis´Napoleonic conquest. I only provide several changes for it, of course not the entire conquest (which would be illegal), so I think it belongs here into the ModPacks forum.

Since I use the US version of Civ3 you need the US or UK version of the Civ3 Conquests AddOn version too - no idea if this works with other language versions (you can install the English language version of C3C over an Euro version of Civ3 to make this work - at least it works for me).

First let me be clear: don´t expect this to be a huge accurate Napoleon scenario. I just made several changes to remove some of the weaknesses of the original, and to increase the "fun-factor" of Firaxis´Napoleonic conquest. See below for details, if you do not like them, feel free to change them as you wish.

Also, if you just like some of the new graphics, use them as you like (eg. for own mods/scenarios) :)

Download:

1. biq: http://www.cdgroup.org/upload/tbs/civ3/xcom/8 Napoleonic Europe.biq

2. zip: http://www.cdgroup.org/upload/tbs/civ3/xcom/Napoleon_Updt.zip
(ca. 10 mb)

Installation:

1. I recommend strongly to backup the file "8 Napoleonic Europe.biq" in the folder Civilization III\Conquests\Conquests\, because the new biq coming with this update will overwrite this file. If you do not backup the file you will have to re-install Civ3C to get the original conquest back.

2. Create a new folder named "Napoleon Updated" in Civilization III\Conquests\Conquests\. The updated biq file will search for this folder.

3. Unzip the downloaded file "Napoleon_Updt.zip" into the newly created folder Civilization III\Conquests\Conquests\Napoleon Updated\.

4. Move the downloaded new biq file named "8 Napoleonic Europe.biq" into the folder Civilization III\Conquests\Conquests\

5. To play, start C3C and select this new biq via the "Conquest" menu

Changes:

1. Graphics

- new/modified advisor heads for military, science, foreign and trade, I also changed the advisors so that you do not get the modern advisorheads after you researched everything (the modern US Army-style guy does not fit into the Napoleonic age very well ;))
- new background art for the advisor screens, as well as for wonder and demographics screen
- one new European city style, changed icons for harbor and barracks
- some new building graphics, wonder splashes changed, small other graphic changes

2. Gameplay

Now most countries get two types of cav as well as different infantry units. Lighter cav (Hussars, Cossacks) is available from the start, has move 3, but is weaker than heavy cav, which has only move 2, and becomes only available with Advanced Cavalry Tactics, so in detail the main changes are as follows (see also in-game civilopedia):

- changed Advanced Tactics into Advanced Infantry Tactics (gives better infantry)
- added Advanced Cavalry Tactics (gives better/heavy cavalry)
- changed the Austrian Hussar into K.K. Hussar MAD 3/6/2, available from the start
- made a generic Hussar MAD 3/5/2 available for several countries from the start
- added Dragoon for France, Britain MAD 3/6/2, available from the start
- added Carabinier for Sweden, Denmark MAD 3/5/2, available from the start
- made Household, Imperial, Cuirassiers available with Advanced Cavalry Tactics
- Cuirassiers now MAD 2/7/4 available now for Prussia, Austria, and Russia
- changed Cossacks to MAD 3/5/2, available from the start
- added Garde Grenadier for Prussia, MAD 1/7/6, +1HP, available with Advanced Infantry Tactics
- added K.K. Grenadier for Austria, MAD 1/6/6, +1HP, available with Advanced Infantry Tactics
- added generic Grenadier for several countries MAD 1/6/6, available with Advanced Infantry Tactics

- added Galleass (unit anim by Colonel Kraken), MAD 3/1/2, transports 4, Ottoman replacement for transporter
- added Corvette (unit anim by Colonel Kraken), MAD 5/2/1, +1HP, only for France, can enslave
- added Ship of the Line 1st rate (unit anim by Colonel Kraken), MADB 4/5/4/4, Range 1 lethal naval bombardment, available only for Britain, France, Russia, Spain, Sweden, needs Seapower
- changed Ship of the Line into Ship of the Line 2nd rate, MADB 4/4/3/4, Range 1 bombardment, needs Naval Tactics
- changed ManOWar into Ship of the Line 3rd rate

- added Coastal Battery (included fire cannon anim of the freely available units from PTW), immobile, range 2 lethal naval bombardment, cannot be built, but preplaced units in some coastal citiescan be captured
- removed all other units to avoid that the AI builds stupid ancient or medieval units when running out of resources, also they do not appear in the civilopedia any longer

- changed temple into church, collosseum into opera house (including modified graphics)

Note: the added grenadier units use the existing Guards-Infantry unit anim, which is of course not included in the zip to avoid copyright problems. The same goes for the cavalry units, which use either anims of the Hussar, or the standard Cavalry unit. The update simply links in such cases to the existing unit animations of your Civ3/Civ3C3C installation.

Credits to Colonel Kraken for his fine ship units :)

Preview - new city style

Attachments

• napoleonic_pre_city.jpg
    napoleonic_pre_city.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 5,334
Science screen, plus samples of the new advisorheads

Attachments

• napoleonic_pre_adv.jpg
    napoleonic_pre_adv.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 4,904
Hey cool :) I fthats ok for you I´ll link to this file when posting my stuff on the German Civ Webring forum (will do this in the next minutes), of course with crediting you for this addition ;)

Sure, that'd be ok, BeBro ;)
The zip only contains 3 files : pediaicons.txt and two .ini files.

well i am gonna download it now and have a look at that scenario - the shots look great (especially the science screen ;))

Fantastic, I'm going to definately try this out!

Nice!
A general thought, Portugal and Spain is in the "European" culture group, should they maybe be in the Mediterranean one? I have no specific knowledge about Portuguese architecture, though. :confused:

mrtn-geographicly(spell?) does Spain belong to the medditerrainean culture group, Portugal does not. However the architecture on the Iberia is a mix of Arab, Med and Euro influence. With the normal look of the graphics I would say Iberia defiently belongs to the Euro group, since it looks very Italian, and very little Iberian. However since you can edit graphics I think "someone" should make Iberian/Mediterainean cities.
In the MEM I had the oppotunity to use such graphics(since theres no american nations in the mod;)), so PCHighway made some very nice spanish looking graphics for me.

BeBro,
That is great mod! :goodjob:
I really like it, as it gives a much better feeling of the Napoleonic time! :D Do you have similar mods for (one of) the other conquests? If so, have you already posted them? I would really like to get some nice “feeling oriented replacements” for the other conquests, as well – maybe even with some of your awesome units included.

Looking forward,
CellKu

Nice BeBro!!! this is excelent! enuff said! lol

Corn Shucker, do you see what I meant with the tech tree frame that BeBro made (see #2)? But, well, it was just an idea. :)

CellKu

This is awesome!:eek:

Top Bottom