1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Improvement Growing

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by FrankTrollman, Feb 27, 2006.

1. FrankTrollman

FrankTrollman Chieftain

So I did a mod that causes improvements other than Cottages to grow over time. This is most important for Farms, as I find this makes them much more worthwhile and allows the larger city sizes that we all love.

Anyway... my problem is that once the improvements grow to the second version their picture reverts to "generic tile improvement" which looks like a little grain silo or something.

Does anyone have some graphics advice for me? I'm happy enough doing XML coding, but the graphics portions of the back end are beyond me.

-Frank

2. spincrus

spincrus sol invictus

Wrong forum Frank...

But good idea. If this thread is moved to the main forum, then you'll get some help I'm sure.

3. earthgate

earthgate Chieftain

Kool idea, farms and mines should grow when worked on.. reflecting the expansion and dev. of the ppl working there.. I also have a idea that there should be marshes/ wetlands tiles. maybe with fog ... this could be like a counter to floodplains as these would often be found together..

and like forests in the late campaign it could give a substantial enviroment bonus as wetlands are precious areas of animal life.. many ways to go with it.. you could make some special medical resource that appear on it when modern medicine is researched.. because of the unique plant and wildlife contained in these areas..

http://www.environmentnepal.com.np/wetlands_m.asp

I might help you with graphics however I am not sure about how you make the tiles for CIV IV, I just recently purchased it.. I made some stuff on the enhanced roads in Civ III it was fun to work on..

This might be helpful -->http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=153584

4. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

One heck of a mod this will become, a truly very nice idea Frank! But now onto the graphics part :D. It would be nice if you could reflect the changes in the agricultural tradition in the graphics. Like how the use of land changed in the Dark Ages when they discovered the soil was drained from resources by growing the same crops too often. Perhaps dividing up a tile in 3-4 sections from a certain technology onwards can reflect that change.

5. earthgate

earthgate Chieftain

Yeah I saw someone else discussing same thing.. about the changes in looks on farms between the different ages... and crop rotation should be clearly seen I think I saw some farms in Civ III that had that look..

6. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

Ah, crop rotation is the word :). I couldn't find it this morning so I tried to be as descriptive as possible.

7. earthgate

earthgate Chieftain

maybe a sudden change in looks in the rennesance.. where the fields become more bigger but also as u said more divided into sections..

8. Harada the Grea

Harada the Grea Chieftain

:goodjob: wil you be releasing this mod as IMO it would add to the game :cool:

9. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

Read again: he's waiting for graphics.

10. Kelric

Kelric Chieftain

I've considered both the growing of resources and swamps/wetland tiles for my still-in-the-planning-stages mod. It's nice to see someone is working on the former and hopefully will release it for public use once the graphic situation is straightened out. :)

I'm especially interested in using swamplands in conjunction with flood plains. Flood plains give bonuses but are located near swamplands that are detrimental to your city. Later technology will provide the ability to reclaim swampland into arable land or improve it to wetlands which provide some unknown benefit as yet. I'd also love the ability to terrace hills for food rather than mining, so if someone would be interested in working on that idea... ;)

11. naf4ever

naf4ever Dread Lord

I did something like this once and realized the emancipation bonus to cottage growth also gets applied to these, which seems odd to me. Have you gotten yours to work without being affected by this? That would be cool if so.