Improvement Order

canadianreefer

Chieftain
Hi everyone. I usually play on emperor, but I've won a game on Immortal and one on Deity. I'm wondering what the best strategy is for the starting locations with low food. Should you try to build say at least 3 farms(on rivers) and 3 mines while getting the luxuries in between? I find unless I have a start with couple bananas, deer or wheat, I usually fall way behind in tech/expansion.

IMHO the first thing is, recognize that low food means your start is not that great. It is a handicap this game you have to overcome. I think you have to expand, in hopes that the next city will be good. If nothing else, two small cities grow faster than 1 big one. You should have your surroundings scouted by the time your first settler comes out; you can hope your expansion(s) redeem your game. Take into account your surroundings (not just your starting capital) when you choose your pantheon.

IMHO the first thing is, recognize that low food means your start is not that great. It is a handicap this game you have to overcome. I think you have to expand, in hopes that the next city will be good. If nothing else, two small cities grow faster than 1 big one. You should have your surroundings scouted by the time your first settler comes out; you can hope your expansion(s) redeem your game. Take into account your surroundings (not just your starting capital) when you choose your pantheon.

Thanks, you make some good points. Usually I would try to convert the bad starting location to be good, with certain techs/improvements, even a pantheon. That usually slows my expansion, where I could have expanded and grabbed a second city that would benefit me more than trying to improve my crappy start. I always assumed my capitol HAS to be the best city I have, in terms of science/production.

Top Bottom