Improvement, Policy & Unit Action Icons (Firaxis-style)

Lord Tirian

Erratic Poster
This is a tutorial for re-creating the Firaxis-style for improvement, policy and unit action icons, meaning 3D icons with the distinct blue shimmer. You should know how to make other buttons already (see Irkalla's or Wodhann's tutorials on button creation and whoward69's tutorial on DDS files). I don't assume much in terms about Blender knowledge (so if you already know how to use it, you'll probably be bored - just grab the Template.blend and play around with it), but you'll need to know your way around it if you want to make your own models or import things to make your own buttons.

Finally, there's a template and some instructions to achieve the golden version of the same icons, used for active policies and for promotions.

Tools Used:
  • Blender 2.49b: This is what I used, since it's the latest version compatible with all NIFscripts and Deliverator's scripts. Blender 2.6 will work, too, but will differ in interface.
  • Image Editor: Any decent image editing programs like GIMP, Paint.NET and Photoshop will work fine. You'll need Photoshop to use the "gold" template, but I have instructions on how to achieve the same effect without Photoshop.

Files Used:
Download this file, find a directory to work in and extract the contents of the archive into it. You should find:
  • BlueBackground.png: Background template for the finished render (we're going to use this last, so ignore this for the moment).
  • GoldTemplate.psd: Template to achieve the gold effect (only useful once you have a button).
  • HourglassExample.blend: An example object we are going to use for this tutorial.
  • Template.blend: The template file containing the render setup.
  • TestRender.png: What the output of the template file should look like.

Test Render:
First, we're going to check whether everything is working as expected, so open Template.blend in Blender and you should see something like this:
Spoiler Blender Opening :

Now, let's make sure the scene settings are correct, so select the scene panel (click the button shown below or press 'F10') and set the render to "Premul" (see screenshot). Then set the output format to PNG and RBGA colour (also screenshot) This sets the background of the render transparent and saves in PNG format with alpha transparency enabled, saving us a lot of work later.
Spoiler Scene Settings :

Now let's test the setup by hitting "F12" to render the scene. This may take anything between a few seconds to a minute or two depending on how beefy your CPU is, you should see a window like this popping up:
Spoiler Finished Render :

Now hit "F3" while the render window is active and you can save the render as PNG file. The result should be identical to the TestRender.png in the archive. If not, something went wrong - either with the settings or I forgot to list some default settings on my Blender install, so ask away!

Import an Object:
Next, we're going to render something else, using the same setup. As example, I provided the HourglassExample.blend. Don't open that file, just re-open the Template.blend again, so we're starting with a "clean" template file again. You should see the same screen as when you opened the template the first time.

Now select the Embassy object in the template by right-clicking it. It should be highlighted by a pink outline (if it was already selected, another right-click unselects it, so check for the outline). Get rid of it by hitting 'X' or 'DEL'.

Let's import the hourglass now. Click "File" > "Append or Link" (or just press "Shift+F1") and a file browser should come up. You're likely inside the Template.blend, so click on ".." and you'll see the contents of your working directory. Click "HourglassExample.blend", then click "Object", then select "HourGlass". Click "Load Library" or hit 'ENTER' and an hourglass model should appear in the scene.
Spoiler Imported Object :

Now we need to set the material. Click on the "Material buttons" (sic) as shown in the screenshot and then open the dropdown menu of existing materials (see screenshot). There should only be one called "KhakiMatter", pick that one. This will give the hourglass the correct material to emulate the gloss and colour of the Firaxis models.
Spoiler Material Settings :

The model is, however, too small, so let's rectify that. Hit "0" on your numpad to switch to the camera view. This shows what the camera renders (the dotted frame). Hit 'S' and you can scale up the hourglass to your liking, you'll probably end up with something like this (then, as before, render by pressing 'F12' and save with 'F3'):
Spoiler Hourglass :

Following this procedure, you'll be able to import any other 3D object you have in a Blender file and should get a Firaxis-like look for it. You can then scale down the resultant PNG file and paste it on the BlueBackground.png for the Civilopedia/Strategic View icon or use it without the background for the action button.
Spoiler Example Icons :

Further Notes:
Of course, the tutorial isn't exhaustive, so here's a list of random notes relating to the process:
  • Camera Settings & Object Position: Experiment with your object and your camera position and settings. For example, the policy icons are always head-on shots unlike the perspective setup here. If you manage to find a view you like, you can do 'Ctlr+Alt+0' to set the camera to your current view port. Select the camera and hit 'F9' to change the camera settings, like the camera field of view (called "Lens") or even set it to an orthographic view (this might be useful for policy icons).
  • Prototype Faster: Speed up your render by deactivating ambient occlusion. Select the world button, then you'll find a tab "Amb Occ" and you can turn off the "Ambient Occlusion". This will make it look worse but speeds up the render a lot - useful for testing different perspectives.
  • Model Guidelines: Select models with lots of details, don't use textures. We're rendering, so nobody cares about the complexity of the object in terms of polygons, so make a model that has all detail modelled in and not textured in. Also, don't have too many sharp angles. Have chamfers, rounded shapes, visible gaps, segmentation, exaggerated proportions and so on, similar to the proper Firaxis icons. This will make the lighting a lot more interesting, especially when scaled down to button size.
  • Edit the Result: Somewhat obvious, but so far, my settings don't replicate the Firaxis-look perfectly, especially getting a metallic sheen is a bit challenging. Feel free to increase the contrast and paint areas brighter to make it look better. For example, the embassy icon isn't just the raw PNG result, I used a warm filter to bring out the colour a bit more and adjusted the brightness a little bit.
  • Sharing is Caring: Experiment with the lighting setup, with the material setup... and if you get better results than I do, please share it here so we can all make better stuff!

Making a Golden Icon
Finally, once you got the transparent symbol itself, you might want to make a golden version of it. I assume here that you have the icon already scaled down and transparent (without the blue background).

Open the GoldTemplate.psd. There you will see a golden apiary (the sample icon I used for this). Simply copy and paste your icon you want to modify into the template and move the layer below the "Gold Fill" layer. Delete the "Base Icon" layer and you'll see your icon in a gold version.

In order to get your icon with the correct transparency, simply select your icon as active layer, then go to the menu "Select" > "Load Selection". Just hit OK and you'll have your icon selected. Either select "Edit" > "Copy Merged" or hit 'SHIFT'+'CTRL'+'C' - you now copied the golden icon with the correct transparency into the clipboard.

Just create a new file and paste it into it - finished!

In case you don't have Photoshop available, below are the steps used to achieve the gold effect:
Spoiler Gold Effect :

• Make a layer above the icon, fill with R 252, G 249, B 66 as colour and set the blending mode to "Multiply"
  • Duplicate the layers and merge them (so the icon with the gold fill merged in sits as layer above the previous two layers).
  • Apply a gradient map to this layer with the following settings: Stop at 0% and 75% with R 255, G 194, B 30, stop 85% with R 255, G 232, B 30, stop at 100% with R 252, G 249, B 66.
  • Set this layer to blend mode Hue with 87% opacity.
Sorry that these instructions are not step-by-step instructions, but if you know your way around GIMP you should hopefully be able to replicate the process...

EDIT (10/July/14): Added gold template and explained usage.

Attachments

• 1_blender.jpg
    1_blender.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 319
  • 2_scenesettings.jpg
    2_scenesettings.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 322
  • 3_testrender.jpg
    3_testrender.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 250
  • 4_hourglass.jpg
    4_hourglass.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 266
  • 5_setmaterial.jpg
    5_setmaterial.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 372
  • 6_renderglass.jpg
    6_renderglass.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 277
  • 8_embassy.png
    8_embassy.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 7_hourglass.png
    7_hourglass.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 356
[reserved for further use]

Fantastic tutorial!! Figured you might like to see my first effort:

Spoiler :

I'm still not entirely sure how I got the khaki material to get onto the mesh -- I was messing around with both the hourglass and the lab shape, and had loaded the khaki texture onto the lab object, but couldn't get it to show up... but then I somehow deleted it from the hourglass and it appeared on the lab?

Any advice on how to replace existing textures on objects with the new one would be appreciated. :3

EDIT: Still not sure how I'm getting the mesh in place (I'm honestly hitting buttons at random X3), but otherwise quite successful:

Spoiler :

Hah, these look familiar! ;)

They look better than expected (they're too low poly, I think, as I baked a lot of detail onto the texture). The "foundations" bother me a bit, though (i.e. the part that's supposed to be under the terrain)... but that's just perfectionism talking. :)
Any advice on how to replace existing textures on objects with the new one would be appreciated. :3
You just need to choose your material of choice from the same dropdown menu. If you want to get rid of any material, do this:
Spoiler :

If you're wondering how to open that panel, pay attention to the pressed buttons in the row above the panels, you need to select the same buttons (in a left-to-right order to make them show up).

Hah, these look familiar! ;)

They look better than expected (they're too low poly, I think, as I baked a lot of detail onto the texture). The "foundations" bother me a bit, though (i.e. the part that's supposed to be under the terrain)... but that's just perfectionism talking. :)

I had the blends still from when I was working on converting them, so they made a good first case. (I also do want to use one of them for the UI icon now...)

I'd always thought the 'foundations' were supposed to appear part of the model! But looking at how they show up in my games, it does seem like they appear properly below ground. Is there any way to remove them from the render? Not sure if there's any way I can tell Blender to "don't render anything below this plane" or something...

You just need to choose your material of choice from the same dropdown menu. If you want to get rid of any material, do this:
Spoiler :

If you're wondering how to open that panel, pay attention to the pressed buttons in the row above the panels, you need to select the same buttons (in a left-to-right order to make them show up).

That might be how I managed to do it before -- I could get at the dropdown with all of the different materials, so I probably inadvertantly managed to remove all of the non-khaki materials. I'll give it another shot tonight. :p

Not sure if there's any way I can tell Blender to "don't render anything below this plane" or something...
You need to cut it off by editing the model. I assume no modelling experience here, so sorry if I go into too much detail - but it's probably better to have too much detail than vice versa. The easiest way is this:
  1. Make sure you haven't selected anything.
  2. Create a cube (hit 'SPACE'>Add>Mesh>Cube).
  3. Scale up the cube to be at least as large as the mesh you want to cut.
  4. Move it down to "ground level" (use the little blue arrow on the mesh)
  5. Now select the building mesh.
  6. Hold 'SHIFT' and select the cube.
  7. Hit 'W' and select "Difference".
  8. This should make a new object removes anything that intersected with the cube.
  9. Delete the original mesh and the cube (they should still be selected, so just hit 'X' or 'DEL' to get rid of them) - Ta-Da!

You need to cut it off by editing the model. I assume no modelling experience here, so sorry if I go into too much detail - but it's probably better to have too much detail than vice versa.

Considering that I know practically nothing of Blender, I appreciate the details!! I'll give it a try tonight and post the results. :3

Could a similar method be used to make promotion icons?

Could a similar method be used to make promotion icons?
In principle. It'll require some fiddling with the camera and lighting angle (that's where the orthographic view might come in handy, too) - and of course making your icon as 3D model.

Finally, somebody needs to figure out how to make the golden colour properly. At the moment, I'm unsure whether it's better to figure out a new material/lighting setup or to do that via photoshop.

In principle. It'll require some fiddling with the camera and lighting angle (that's where the orthographic view might come in handy, too) - and of course making your icon as 3D model.

Finally, somebody needs to figure out how to make the golden colour properly. At the moment, I'm unsure whether it's better to figure out a new material/lighting setup or to do that via photoshop.

I've got some promotion icons I was going to experiment with tonight -- I'm going to see if I can take a generic white policy icon and adjust the hue to approximate the gold coloration. I'll have to see how it works out. If it does, it'll probably be easier to turn a white icon gold that way than try to make a new material...

If it does, it'll probably be easier to turn a white icon gold that way than try to make a new material...
I had a go at it, what do you think:

I could turn the process into a fairly straightforward Photoshop template, though I would have no idea how to do that in GIMP/Paint.NET. Somebody else might be able to figure that out, though and I can supply the colours.

I could turn the process into a fairly straightforward Photoshop template, though I would have no idea how to do that in GIMP/Paint.NET. Somebody else might be able to figure that out, though and I can supply the colours.

Ooooh! That looks good to me! Although I'm not terribly picky when it comes to such things -- it's still a huge step better than the more simplistic icons I've been using.

So did you do that using Photoshop? I was planning to use one of the flasks from the Secularism policy for my promotion icon, although the Sovereignity icon would work as well...

EDIT: Had no luck modifying the policy icons I had in photoshop... :( But the method you gave to edit the laboratory models worked fine!

Spoiler :

Oooh, that looks a lot better. I updated the download and the tutorial with the gold button template - hope it's of some use! :D

Thanks for this tutorial Lord Tirian! Maybe you'd like to see my first attempt, using a Skyrim helmet provided by Nomad or What for my Elf Unit Pack:

By the way, the gold icon was made by colorizing (with GIMP) the silver helmet in a different layer from the background, using the settings Hue 50 Saturation 50 Lightness -50. Although perhaps a bit more saturation would make it look better.

Attachments

• elfhelmeticonsilver.png
    elfhelmeticonsilver.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,901
  • elfhelmetgold.png
    elfhelmetgold.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,952
Nice! Stea... borrowing models from games and assets with highly detailed models is a great idea! :D I'll have to do that myself if I stumble across something fitting!

If you want to, I could have a go at the gold version of the icon (I just need the PNG without the blue background). Alternatively, try using the steps I outlined above, even if you don't do the gradient fill part, using the coloured layer to multiply should get you a lot closer to the Civ5 colours. Colorizing has... issues, I find.

@Lord Tirian: Here's another two, I didn't change anything except the material. I remembered that a lot of imported NIFs when converting units look really smooth - if you go into the object view or whatever it's called (it's where you'd find the panel with vertex groups and such) under the materials panel there are two buttons: "Set Smooth" and "Set Solid". Normally it's set to Solid but for fun I experimented with Smooth, and I think they came out a bit better. It certainly works better for the gold anyway.
I hope that you'll figure out the metallic aspect of the Firaxis icons though...

If you still don't like the gold version you have a serious problem tell me and I'll attach both the smooth and solid version of the background-less helmet.

Attachments

• elfhelmetgold_smooth.png
    elfhelmetgold_smooth.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 3,060
  • elfhelmetsilver_smooth.png
    elfhelmetsilver_smooth.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,978
So, since Blender doesn't work on my computer, I tried my hand at just hand-drawing the icon. I hope it turned out okay;

Top Bottom