[IMPROVEMENT] Too many steps to enter game / Useless desktop shortcut

Zelig

Beep Boop
I'm really not liking how many clicks it takes to get to the main menu of the game.

This is after the screwy intro movies are disabled.

If Steam is closed, running from Steam interface:
1. Open Steam
(Start from here if Steam is already open.)
2. Launch Civ
3. Select DX 9/11.
4. Select DX 9/11 at second menu.
5. Click past the content warning menu.

If Steam is closed, launching from civ exe or shortcut:
1. Launch Civ.
2. Select DX 9/11.
3. Select DX 9/11 at second menu.
4. Click past the content warning menu.

If Steam is open, launching from the civ exe or shortcut:
1. Launch Civ.
2. Select DX 9/11 at second menu.
3. Click past the content warning menu.

The second menu gives the option of creating a desktop shortcut, but in the very best case scenario (Steam already open), it saves you a single step, and still forces you to select DX 9/11 mode.

I understand Steam has been discussed to death already, but clicking "Play" in Steam, or launching from a shortcut the game has specifically created for a certain DX mode should go straight to the menu, we don't need the DX selection every time, nor the content warning every time.

Agreed. I also hate that opening movie. It was cool the first time but for some reason it won't let me skip it at first.

if you alt+tab when the intro movie starts I find that throws enough of a monkey-wrench into the process that repeated stabbings of the ESC key will skip the intro movie eventually.

There is nothing worse in all the gaming world than the unskippable cutscene. (except maybe quick-time events)

if you alt+tab when the intro movie starts I find that throws enough of a monkey-wrench into the process that repeated stabbings of the ESC key will skip the intro movie eventually.

There is nothing worse in all the gaming world than the unskippable cutscene. (except maybe quick-time events)

See here for how to disable the intro movie.

thank you!

I also noticed:

AutoWorkersDontReplace = 0

Is this what I think it is? Can I turn this to 1 and keep my old improvements!? You are a good man.

The desktop icon is a bug, not an improvement, it blatantly does not work as it's supposed to or as it states it will.

Add my name to the list of people upset about this.

I posted in the tech support forum hoping for a workaround of some kind. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

You guys do know you can disable intro movie and make a desktop icon to automatically launch the game in whatever directx mode you've choose, right?

1. Intro movie skip : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9637767&postcount=2

2. When the game ask for either directx9 or directx 10/11 run, right click on witch mode you want to use and the game creates a quick-launch on the desktop.

1. Yes, I mentioned the movie can be skipped in the OP, and then posted a link a couple posts before yours.

2. The desktop icon doesn't do anything useful, which is the point of this thread.

The desktop icon is a bug, not an improvement, it blatantly does not work as it's supposed to or as it states it will.

It's marked as [IMPROVEMENT] in the sense that the feature needs improvement, not in the sense that the feature is an improvement.

Top Bottom