[NFP] Improving Apocalypse Mode

acluewithout

Deity
Are people happy with Apocalypse Mode overall? Are there ways they think it could be improved?

Personally, I think AM is pretty close to being a really fun game setting. It’s just a bit lacklustre in a few places.

I thought I’d throw down a few specific ideas.
  • Make the Soothsayer more interesting. I like the Soothsayer. Yes, a bit fantastical, but then the Apocalypse Mode basically is a bit a fantasy, so I think that’s okay. I’d just like to see the unit being a bit more “dynamic”. In particular, I’d like to see the unit unlock via Civics instead of just being available from Turn 1 and / or have a building requirement. And I’d like a few more ways to earn promotions for them.
  • More ways to manipulate disasters. It’s a bit limited that the only way to manipulate disasters is basically Soothsayers. Perhaps Apostles could have a Promotion that lets them trigger Disasters?
  • Ways to defend from Comets. I get Comets are meant to be this City Destroying Force, but it might be more interesting if there was a way to protect yourself temporarily. eg Perhaps Cities could build a Force Field, but it’s hugely energy draining and if you get hit by a Comet it basically gets smashed? It could even be maybe vulnerable to Sabotage by Spies?
  • Earthquakes. We have Volcanos, Fires, Storms, Solar Flares, Comets... but not Earthquakes? Jesus, there’s even Earthquakes in the RnF animation. I know it’s just flavour, but please, can we just have Earthquakes already?
  • Zombies. Apocalypse Mode is pretty Gonzo. I think FXS should just lean into it, and a put Zombies in, perhaps triggered by eg Comets and or Nukes. Red Death already has Zombie Barbarians, so why not?
Anyone else have some thoughts?

I think it just needs an obvious difference from the highest level of natural disasters. To me it feels like it’s just setting it at level 5 and that’s it.

Some new type of system could be nice added onto the existing GS one.

As much as soothsayers are fantasy based in the game, they existed in real life, so I wouldn't necessarily want them to add zombies into a standard game with the Apocalypse mode. I'm sure there will be a mod and if you choose to do it that's fine.
Anyway here are my thoughts:
1. I've mentioned before that it would make sense if the Soothsayers could be unlocked at Mysticism. I mean you unlock the Oracle at that civic. :)
2. Obviously Earthquakes are the real major natural disaster still missing, though I've always wondered how it would be implemented in a game that already has fixed tiles and terrain. Maybe they could uncover some sort of mining resource after the fact or change up the landscape. Also I would hope Earthquakes wouldn't necessarily be Apocalypse mode only either.
3. If we have technology to send are people to Mars and another galaxy in the future Era, I think we should be able to build a gigantic laser with the right technology to destroy a comet before impact. Maybe make it a city project.

I think the idea is really cool and I like the mode, but it had some pretty major issues to me.

I outlined them here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/apocalypse-mod-soothsayer-issues.659743/
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/apocalypse-mod-is-too-easy.659744/

I think the biggest one is that the endless disasters cause way too many aid emergencies and the AI wastes all their production sending aid, which puts them really really far behind. I've only played one game with this mod but it was way too easy.

Appease the Gods

It also seems very weird to me that you continue to appease the gods in the information era. I was excited that we got that competition more than once, but I think it would make sense to happen once in each of the first three eras and then never again. We got it once in the early game, again around the middle, and again really late (information or future era).

Also, does anyone else think that second place is FAR superior to first or is that just me? It was trying specifically to make sure that someone beat me but I still had enough to pull off second place. The promotions and the extra faith (so you can just afford your own soothsayers) is really good. A lot better than just an extra soothsayer right then.
  • Gold Tier (highest score): 1 free Soothsayer
  • Silver Tier (top 25% of scores): 1 random promotion for all existing and future Soothsayer units. Also +2 faith per turn.
  • Bronze Tier (next top 25% of scores): +2 Faith per turn.

You still get the silver tier reward for winning the competiton since you are in the top 25% of scores as winner.

You still get the silver tier reward for winning the competiton since you are in the top 25% of scores as winner.

Are you sure that is how it works? It doesn't make sense to me that you would get the gold, silver, and bronze tier for coming in first. That is too many rewards.

It works like that thought. I mean the first one is still part of the top 25% . You can also check it at the wiki.

I never knew. That is so weird. Well now I can stop trying to make sure I get second place. Haha.

I still think there are some issues with the Soothsayer. I don't know if they are intentional or if it isn't working as planned. See my post on another thread:

Tried out the apocalypse mod and the soothsayer doesn't seem to work right.

I flooded my own river twice and didn't gain any fertility on any tiles. Likewise, erupting volcanoes with soothsayers does not appear to add fertility. Yet, soothsayers cannot be used on tiles in enemy territory, so I don't understand the purpose of the unit. They can't be used to fertilize locally and they can't be used to kill/sabotage enemies unless there are tiles outside their territory (i.e. you can flood a river or erupt a volcano in an enemy city as long as there is one tile outside the enemy territory that you can stand on) but they also can't be used to fertilize your own land? What am I missing?

The only thing that I was able to do with soothsayers is start fires and that power seems pretty OP. Burn one tile and it can spread to all adjacent forest/jungle tiles, which it usually does. Those tiles are worth less while on fire, but the fire burns out pretty quick. Then the trees regrow. After regrowing, the tiles are +1 food and +1 production. Then you can burn them down again. I had tiles that were 5 food/3 production before I even built a lumber mill. I burned this one big area a few times before settling and had the best city I have ever had in all my games. Amazing production, amazing food. It was settled pretty late and it was as good as my capital in no time.

It seems like maybe they should only get the benefits the first time they burn down? Or maybe there should be a certain percent chance that they regrow and a chance that they don't? Or they always regrow, but just have a chance at fertility, like floods and volcanoes, instead of 100% guarantee.

Top Bottom