Improving Civ5

Ahovking

Cyber Nations
Ok, first of all I have no idea if what I'm about to say has already been discussed or not. So If yes then I'm sorry but I just want to express my opinion about how the game could be improved.

Deeper Diplomacy
Being able to declare a “cold war” on a nation, being able to create unions between friendly nations to create a larger state, being able to declare official Alliances.

policy making
to define your nation even more you should be able to establish policy’s like for example “compulsory military service” (which could half the time in making a unit while slightly increasing the cost of said unit) or “open immigration” (population rapidly increase while happiness drops rapidly)

Government Diversity
as you advance through the ages being about to pick a form of governing (government, social, religion, military, ect) while being able to customise your chosen government by adopting new policy’s.

Doctrine system
Being able to adopt military/social Doctrine to dictate how your military/social acts and works and

Add unemployment.
using espionage you can drop and enemy’s employment which lowers their happiness and their income also can be effected by policy’s like a “green job policy” (which could rise unemployment while making your consumption of resource drop).

Religion
in the early stages of the game, religion heavily Influencing who you are friends with and who are you enemies but as you enter new ages this Influence slowly drops till you hit the modern age where religion no longer Influence global relations .

Green job policy, lol. Funny regardless of whom you support.

Also, science does not come in a linear fashion. Technology does. This needs to be reflected in the tech tree, with science being subject to periodic "waves" oscillating around a fixed point, affected randomly and by other factors such as gpt and great people.

I think it is obvious Civ V is not really a successor to Civ IV we have less features, dumbed down gameplay.

We need the old civic policies back with more microplay involved, the old trade system with every commodity being subject trade alongside the new resources and more, more ways to fight wars without actually fighting them in the physical sense for example we have city states yet they don't use money, resources etc. Proxy wars etc should be introduced to actually sway balance of powers and spheres of influence. Allow City States to have their own agendas.

We have advisers that are worthless, SimCity advisers are more useful, give us advisers we can dismiss and that have attributes (i.e. an economic adviser that has +1 foreign trade and so on per adviser field).

The leaders are dumbed down give us back their attributes that actually affect how their civilization builds, expands etc.

Religion: Bring back the IV method with being able to build temples etc. and unique buildings and allow us to have any number of religions in a city. In it's current form it is just stupid and seems to have had no actual brain storming involved before being developed and implemented besides the attributes and enhancers to choose from.

Every civilization looks the same where is the unique look of workers, units, buildings? Did the artists have to work on the new graphic engine most of the time, should have just left the IV engine alone with some upgrades here and there. Honestly.

Movement/Combat, now don't get me wrong I love how stacking has been removed but as others have said, among other things, something needs to be done on how actual wars are moved/fought and the timeline in which they occur. Maybe some hybrid of how the Victoria II system works. Allow generals to have an actual Area of Effect in terms of buffs to surrounding units, let us see it and let them be able to earn exp for other types of buffs. Same thing for Admirals, and please let the Honor tree affect ships as well(i.e. Discipline).

Allow workers to move through AI units (i.e. road building and the nightmare that that is in regards to city states).

Bring back random events, the Apostolic Palace, the UN and voting for certain measures. A lot more should be introduced than there are available in IV right now.

Give us a system in terms of international relations score in which we can constantly see and be able to manage/manipulate. Green would equal a overall peaceful nation, overall. Wars fought in defense. Constant aggression would equal Red and slowly build or fall as time passes. Many, many scenarios to work with in such a system.

One idea I read about in these forums was about adding the concept of rebellions to the game. In previous games (can't remember if it was in Civ IV), if you had too large an empire, there was always the possibility of having cities rebel and become a new nation. This would add a downside to maintaining a large empire that spread to landmasses not connected to your capital.

Another idea was corruption for large empires, which limits the ICS strategy. The more cities in your empire, the more corruption there is and the less efficient your empire is. There is such a huge impact to having another city for your empire. It provides that much more gold, science, production, etc. The wide strategy (if played right) is much stronger than a tall strategy in Civ V. Adding corruption back into the game will help bring the balance between Tall and Wide back into the game.

There are so many great ideas in these forums. All these things sound like something that can be done via a mod. Civ V looks like it is very capable to add a lot of content via mods. I really want to try modding these into the game, but don't have any real modding experience. Plus that would be like a full-time job. But just thinking about it, makes me want to try...

Top Bottom