[NFP] Improving NFP's Game Modes

The New Frontier Pass has added a bevy of toggleable modes to add and change Civ VI's gameplay. And while many of them are satisfactory, there is always room for improvement, and this thread is here to single those improvements out.

What would you change/add to NFP's existing game modes?

While this can be any form of change from balance tweak to conceptual overhaul, note that I would recommend thinking outside of the box and being more ambitious than just mundane balance adjustments. Heaven knows some of these modes need them :shifty: but don't feel afraid to come up with entirely new ideas or groundbreaking reworks that would have a dramatic effect on the modes as a whole. After all, this forum is called Ideas and Suggestions...

To get the conversation started, I'm gonna make a suggestion of my own. Barbarian Clans has been one of the best new game modes of the NFP for me, and has even exceeded some modes like Secret Societies and Apocalypse in quality, despite being free. But, I feel it could still use a little more tuning.

Reserved/Mundane Suggestions:
  • Add more ways to speed up or slow down City State conversion. Making a mode more dynamic never hurt anyone, and having a barbarian clan transform into a city state shouldn't feel so passive. Here are some examples of new interactions that could slow or speed up conversion:
    • Selling/gifting resources to Barbarian camps to increase conversion speed
    • Sending a delegation to Barbarian camps to increase conversion speed (maybe this would give you an envoy in their eventual city-state? Just brainstorming :mischief:)
    • Gifting Barbarian camps units of an era ahead of them to increase conversion speed
    • Purchasing a second tile for the Barbarian camp to increase conversion speed
    • Settling a city within a certain proximity of a Barbarian camp to increase conversion speed
    • Capturing or razing an enemy city nearby a Barbarian camp to decrease conversion speed
    • Sending a formal threat to Barbarians to decrease conversion speed
    • And any action that converts Barbarian units to your control should probably influence conversion speed in some way.
  • Remove that white dotted line when a Barbarian camp becomes a city-state. It doesn't look good nor does it communicate the history of that city-state. Apparently, it doesn't even work upon reloading saves. If you're going to have a marker of when a Barb camp becomes a city-state, make a proper marker on the UI, rather than just this feature treatment toward what is most likely just a bug...
  • Barbarian camps should stop spawning after a certain point, or if they already do, sooner. It makes little sense for in a interconnected world of patriotic people who all pledge their alliances to a particular civ or city-state that suddenly, off in the uninhabitable snow, a tribe of people emerges into thin air with modern technology but a wooden hut as their headquarters. Plus, having barbarian camps spawn throughout the game (and by extension, city-states) just dramatically inflates the number of city-states in the game until their becomes not enough envoys to suzerain all of them.
Moderate Effort Suggestions:
  • Why stop at unique units? Let barbarians (after becoming city-states) gain access to unique tile improvements of Civs not in the current game. May not be particularly hard to implement, but I think it could work. Not really a reason they shouldn't be allowed to have them... the only catch to this is to make sure they can't generate tourism (in cases like the Open-Air Museum). Well, either they can't generate it or they generate it for their current Suzerain, but let's try not to accidentally buff Pericles more than we already have.
Totally Off-the-Wall and Unrealistic Suggestion:
  • Barbarian camps begin as camps, then transform into city-states... and then transform into Civilizations. Ambitious and unlikely as it may be, I feel it could end up being a cool interaction to have and would make enough sense (going by the logic standard that made-up tribes can become randomly chosen named, historical city-states, anyway). So, with this suggestion implemented, a game of Barbarian Clans would start with a handful of barbarian clans that choose to identify as a civ that's currently not in the game. Then, if all goes well, they transform into a city-state with the name of their civ's capital, using the unique units and (if existent) unique improvements of their civ. Then, after a period of time most likely longer than that of city-state conversion, said capitals become full-on civs, with free settlers and builders granted based on their era to help them catch up with fully developed civs. They would retain all of the techs and civics they researched as a city-state, and all of their units.

So, those were my suggestions for the Barb clans mode. If you have any suggestions for a mode you think could be improved, leave them in a reply. I'm curious to hear what ideas everyone has in store... the creativity of this forum always amazes me.

Simple ideas:

Heroes and Legends Mode:

1: Killing a Hero gives you +2 Era Score, +4 Era Score if you used a Hero Unit to kill another one.
2: Add more Heroes like Robin Hood, Odysseus, etc.

Monopolies and Coroporations:

1: Lower the Tourism Bonus from Monopolies, for goodness' sake!
2: Make the Bonuses you get from certain Corporations more unique. For example: Silver increases the amount of Gold you get from Trade Routes in the City its Corporations is in.

Apocalypse Mode:

1: Add Disasters like Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Rockslides, etc.
2: Improve the "Sacrifice to the Gods" Emergency. It's just so awful.

2: Make the Bonuses you get from certain Corporations more unique. For example: Silver increases the amount of Gold you get from Trade Routes in the City its Corporations is in.
It would be nice if each one was unique. I'm sure it's doable.
Plus products should provide amenities to the cities where they are placed.

Also when playing as the Netherlands in this mode they should be able to found a corporation sooner and let their shipyards hold a product.

1: Add Disasters like Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Rockslides, etc.
Can they just be a normal disasters without Apocalypse mode, like forest fires were? :mischief:

2: Improve the "Sacrifice to the Gods" Emergency. It's just so awful.
Last place should automatically get hit with some sort of natural disaster, considering you definitely didn't appease the gods at all.

Last place should automatically get hit with some sort of natural disaster, considering you definitely didn't appease the gods at all.
I'll just assume that the Gods you didn't appease were either Hera, Hades, Aphrodite, or Demeter. Hades is a bro, though.

I really like the clans ideas epically the last one. (Honestly I like most ideas here)

Some suggestions of my own:

Apocalypse:
Make it feel like the apocalypse. Have massive cracks in the ground which are unpassable but provide science. Have barbarians be replaced by mythical apocalypse creatures (Demons, Massive Wolves, Snakes three tiles long or more, the dead, ect.). Like stated before, add more disasters and make the looser of the appease the gods pay dearly.

Secret Societies:
Add a few more. Five to Seven total would be nice

Heroes:
More! (Robin Hood, Gilgamesh, and Ivanhoe)Also make normal units interact with heroes better. +10 CS near them or something IKD.

Dramatic Ages:
Make them more dramatic. Dark ages give +5% science and culture. Golden ages give -5%. (Yes I said that right people will be lazy when times are good). For heroic ages make them more heroic. +10XP to all units build during the age. +50% growth speed. +15% production.

Barbarian:
I think that this has been summed up.

Well that's all I got for today.

Heroes:
More! (Robin Hood, Gilgamesh, and Ivanhoe)Also make normal units interact with heroes better. +10 CS near them or something IKD.
I think Enkidu would be a better choice. :mischief:

The only issue I have with that is that it could lead to notifications like:

"Gilgamesh has captured Athens using... Gilgamesh"

Though, the idea of your leader being an in-game unit who can die is perpetually interesting to me.
As I said, let Gilgamesh use his buddy Enkidu to conquer Athens instead.

Achievement:
A Friendship Broken
Capture the Sumerian Capital using the Enkidu Hero

I think Enkidu would be a better choice. :mischief:
Come to think of it it's odd that Enkidu wasn't one of the heroes from the beginning, considering all the references of him in the game already. :think:

Top Bottom