In 100 years will George W. Bush have a good legacy?

Will the Bush Administration have a good legacy in 100 years?

• Yes, he will be seen as a good leader who spread freedom. He will also be in Civ XXIII

Votes: 24 19.8%
  • No, he is a failure now and will be a failure in 100 years

Votes: 85 70.2%
  • I abstain in protest

Votes: 12 9.9%

• Total voters
Don't know, it isn't over yet. Lots of things could happen in the next three years.

He’ll be viewed as the “Commodus” of the United States. Bush will be remembered as the man who brought an end to Pax-Americana and ushered in the an age of general decline in America.

It is quite likely that when all the info on his presidency is revealed he will go down as one of the worst Presidents in US history. However, as AA says things could change but not very likely IMO.

I imagine that because of all the manure he is full of the flowers on his grave will be well fertilized.

So, that's at least one good thing from his legacy.

CurtSibling said:
Mr Bush will most likely be remembered as a disruptive force who squandered the legacy of presidential giants like Reagan.
My man, involuntary humour is not in your character :lol:

^ I remeber in '01 that Time ran an article saying the Bush's term would be kinda like Reagan's third based on policies and stuff. How wrong they were...

Irish Caesar said:
Neither. He'll be with Bush and Clinton as average.

Bush Sr might go down like McKinley, expanding american power through military means, but backed by the people and unlike the Maine, the cause (Kuwait) will hold up later in history.

Clinton will go down more like Coolidge, overall good times with a scandal.

Bush jr however will go down like, well I think he'll be a new model of president. A man who looked like another unimportant president, but then had to lead America through a tough time (9/11), but then used his new found power to try to limit rights as well as going into an unnecessary war.

(Yeah got a couple run on sentances, but meh)

I don't think he will be seen as a great leader, but once the liberal hype dies out then he'll probably be seen as a man who led well in troublesome times.

CurtSibling said:
I take it you disagree Reagan had an impact?

Because you are talking baloney if you do.

:)
But a giant? I'm not sure. Reagan was the feel good president.

GW will be remembered as the president in the bubble.

Warman17 said:
Bush Sr might go down like McKinley, expanding american power through military means, but backed by the people and unlike the Maine, the cause (Kuwait) will hold up later in history.

I'd figure Bush 41 to be more like a Taft, doing a nice job following a presidential giant but being held to one term and not nearly as well-remembered as the man he succeeded.

Clinton will go down more like Coolidge, overall good times with a scandal.

Coolidge is known for being very hands-off. Clinton wasn't quite like that. No pun intended. I'm not sure if he can really be compared to another president too well. Maybe Nixon, who was a far better president that people give him credit for: Clinton was good on foreign relations and the economy, two things for which Nixon will never get the credit he deserves.

Bush jr however will go down like, well I think he'll be a new model of president. A man who looked like another unimportant president, but then had to lead America through a tough time (9/11), but then used his new found power to try to limit rights as well as going into an unnecessary war.

John Adams did the same thing.

Irish Caesar said:
Maybe Nixon, who was a far better president that people give him credit for: Clinton was good on foreign relations and the economy, two things for which Nixon will never get the credit he deserves..

I agree.

Nixon was refreshingly unconventional, perhaps insane, but his dealings
with China are always unfairly under-stated by his modern-day detractors.

:D

seriously Bushs legacy hindges on Iraq and Afganistain.
Either a visionary and strong president or a utter incompetent and idiotic president.

Why will he go down badly?

1) Fiscal policy. The deficit and spending have just gone crazy under "responsible" Republican leadership. This is not usually to bad as someone really responsible usually comes in and cleans up the mess (read Clinton and Bush Sr. Greenspan tech boom for the Regan fiscal mess). I don't see that happening anytime soon and if there is a major deficit driven financial implosion much blame will go to this presidency.

2) Pre-9/11 incompetence. I hope I live to see all the presidential daily briefs declassified and the tremendous shift away from Osuma focus even though the Clinton admin warned of it.

3) Squandered opportunity for greatness. After 9/11 Bush had a tremendous opportunity. My God I even liked what he did in the first 2 months. If he really were a uniter a lot of problems both foreign and domestic could have been addressed.

4) Iraq. In the larger scope of things Iraq is a piss ant little problem. It will certainly go down as a failure and weaken the US position in the world (we really needed to hide the fact that we can’t take over countries with high tech weapons and an all volunteer army). It will be credited with the rise of Iran could be a really big problem for the ME.

5) Nukes. In the next 100 years there will probably be a city in the world destroyed by a nuke. This Presidency may be seen as the one where non-proliferation began to fail.

6) Corruption. I think the current legal political money system (not even counting the illegal stuff) will be viewed as a time of a corruption of Democracy.

7) Election 2000. Nice hook for a negative assessment of a Presidency.

Top Bottom